PDA

View Full Version : Tubular tire recommendation

sokyroadie
08-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Is there a tubular equivalent to the Grand Bois 700Cx32 Cypres, or EL version? I am having a rough road all around bike being built (Carver Ti) and am debating going tubular vs the GB Cypres EL (I have them). I have a brand new Old Spud built tubular wheelset awaiting the decision. Not a huge fan of Challenge tires so any other brand would be ideal. Prefer 32mm or slightly larger.

Thanks,
Jeff

happycampyer
08-23-2015, 09:20 AM
The tubulars that I am aware of with that kind of volume are all cross tires, with some degree of knobbiness to them. I think Challenge makes a road tubular that's 30mm. The smoothest 30+mm tubular I've seen are are the Dugast Pipistrellos, but even they have small bumps. The bumps wear down over time, but out of the box they don't feel like the Grand Bois. To be honest, with 32+mm tires, I prefer clinchers since it's easier to carry spare tubes than a spare tire.

If you could pull together a bulk order, I wonder if FMB would be willing to make a batch of 32 - 34mm tubulars with a smooth file tread.

happycampyer
08-23-2015, 09:27 AM
double post

Anarchist
08-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Vittoria cross EVO XN, basically a herringbone tread pattern.

Schwalbe One in a 28 or the Veloflex Vlaanderen in a 27.

fogrider
08-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Is there a tubular equivalent to the Grand Bois 700Cx32 Cypres, or EL version? I am having a rough road all around bike being built (Carver Ti) and am debating going tubular vs the GB Cypres EL (I have them). I have a brand new Old Spud built tubular wheelset awaiting the decision. Not a huge fan of Challenge tires so any other brand would be ideal. Prefer 32mm or slightly larger.

Thanks,
Jeff

just about everyone makes a cross tire with a diamond pattern, its not cross season yet so there is not a lot in stock right now. but check ribble and biketiresdirect.

Russian bear
08-23-2015, 09:53 PM
Edit: nvm

sokyroadie
08-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Vittoria cross EVO XN, basically a herringbone tread pattern.

Thanks for the heads up - ordered a set today $54.95 ea. with free shipping, worth a shot.

Jeff