PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tire suggestions for a trip

makoti
08-22-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm going to Italy for a two week tour in October. Riding from Venice to Bari. Trying to decide on tires. I'm guessing I'll see a bit of crappy roads, but expect most to be decent. Looking for suggestions on what to try.
I'll be riding Pacenti SL23 (v1) rims. Something known to mount fairly easy would be a plus. I ride either Conti 4000 II's or Michelin Pro4's in 23's right now. Both are fine, but wondering if there might be something you'd suggest. Want to use this to try out 25's, also. Thanks.

joev
08-22-2015, 10:33 PM
I have those same rims and switched from 23 Michelin Pro4 Service Course to 25's and really, really like the ride - a little softer and more supple. On chip seal it is the ticket.

A couple of things...the 25's are a big 25 and clearance to both brakes and chain stays may be an issue. Second, for easy fitting of the tires I had blue Pacenti rim tape. My LBS sold the wheels to me w/ spoke nipple buttons and there was no way I was going to change the tire out on the road after I fought for a good half hour to mount one tire. I now use the Ritchey rim strip which is slightly thicker than the tape, but still makes the tire change easier. I don't think velox rim strips would work...but that is just an opinion.

etu
08-23-2015, 03:36 PM
It sounds like it's going to be a great trip. If it's a supported tour on mostly decent roads, you should just ride what you want to ride at home. Lot of nice tires in the 25 size. My favorite is the compass/gran bois, but I just got a pair of vittoria open corsa's and they're really nice too. I also agree with joev on using rim tapes for the SL23's to make it easier to mount your tires.

makoti
08-23-2015, 04:27 PM
They are set up with the Stans tape already, and I "know" the tricks about making sure the bead is in the channel when mounting, but they can still be difficult, so I thought I'd see if anyone had much better luck with something else.
I was thinking I may try the Paves, but again - any other suggestions are welcome. The trip is supported, so that should make anything that comes up easier.