PDA

View Full Version : "Commuter" back pack suggestions

RyanH
08-22-2015, 04:56 PM
First and foremost, whenever I commute to a site by bike, it's more or less to get a training ride in. So, I'm looking for something that will be suitable to carry a 13" MacBook Pro, pair of shoes, pants and dress shirt.

I want something that is light and will be comfortable if I decide to add some extra training miles in, not just city commuting.

This may be suitable:
http://www.amazon.com/Seal-Line-Urban-Backpack-Small/dp/B004530R6U/ref=cm_cr_pr_pl_footer_top?ie=UTF8

And I really like the Osprey Pixel but can't seem to find if it will fit a pair of shoes:
http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Pixel-Daypack-Black-Pepper/dp/B00FANS4E6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thoughts or suggestions?

velomonkey
08-22-2015, 05:07 PM
If it's a bike and a bag it's gotta be Chrome. Plenty of bags that carry a 13" macbook, padded or not, rain proof or not.

You buy their bags ride the heck out of 'em and then, maybe, in 20 years you buy another one.

scrubadub
08-22-2015, 05:25 PM
I sweat a lot, so if I was routinely riding any significant distance, I would only consider backpacks with suspended mesh backs (e.g., Deuter). It does cut into pack space but the breathability is worth it. Altenatively, I keep looking at Carradice-style saddlebags but haven't tried them yet.

My current commute is short enough that anything works. I happen to use a Tom Bihn Synapse.

SlackMan
08-22-2015, 05:29 PM
I have an Ortlieb Velocity, and love it. The venting on the back is especially effective in the heat here in Texas.

If you like either blue or silver, there is a great deal at the link below:

https://www.bikebagshop.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=4093

Regardless, I would go for function over form on the waterproof dimension. Lots of the 'fashion' bags say they are waterproof, but they don't really function like a dry bag with a roll top.

sjbraun
08-22-2015, 05:34 PM
I've been using an Osprey Radial bag for the last two years. Its worked well for me. I carry breakfast and lunch, 2 phones, billfold, keys, and clothes with plenty of room to spare. I could easily fit a 13 inch MacBook in the dedicated laptop/tablet slot. I don't need to carry shoes, but I think that could be done easily with everything else I carry.
The back of the pack bows out to let a little air flow between the bag and back. Straps are comfortable, though I removed the waist strap, the bag is plenty stable without it. The water resistant cover is a handy feature, but only slows water. I call the bag water resistant, not waterproof.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/everyday_packs/radial_26

Steve

Tickdoc
08-22-2015, 05:37 PM
First and foremost, whenever I commute to a site by bike, it's more or less to get a training ride in. So, I'm looking for something that will be suitable to carry a 13" MacBook Pro, pair of shoes, pants and dress shirt.

I want something that is light and will be comfortable if I decide to add some extra training miles in, not just city commuting.

This may be suitable:
http://www.amazon.com/Seal-Line-Urban-Backpack-Small/dp/B004530R6U/ref=cm_cr_pr_pl_footer_top?ie=UTF8

And I really like the Osprey Pixel but can't seem to find if it will fit a pair of shoes:
http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Pixel-Daypack-Black-Pepper/dp/B00FANS4E6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thoughts or suggestions?

Love my osprey (talon 22 maybe?)

https://asset1.surfcdn.com/osprey-backpacks-osprey-talon-22-backpack-onyx-black.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&q=80&o=rJ3aprhsUZiiRBUnZUWWhI31rBAj&V=@YfJ

Just big enough to carry my clothes and shoes, a small towel, and such.

I put my iPad in the water reservoir pouch in the back, not sure it would hold a MacBook, though.

One of my big requirements is airflow, and this osprey is the coolest one I've had yet.

I'm a fair weather commuter, and always in a kit, never in the clothes I wear, so the sporty look does fine for me.
Chrome, mission, and others would give you a more sophisticated look, if you like that better. I saw some cool and colorful Patagonia packs, too when I was shopping, but they offered no back ventilation.

Ken Robb
08-22-2015, 05:47 PM
I could easily carry that in my Rivendell Hoss saddlebag hung from my B-17. I don't like riding with a load on my back. This load is a 5-rib beef rib roast, gallon of milk, whole pineapple, 1/2 gallon of ice cream and some lesser items. :-)

Idris Icabod
08-22-2015, 06:09 PM
I've commuted by bike pretty much daily for the last 12 years using first a Chrome metropolis messenger bag and now a Chrome backpack (don't know the model name). They really are hard wearing, I used the messenger bag for most of the years (probably 10+) and only retired it because it faded in the AZ sun, otherwise it is perfect still. The only complaint I have about the Chrome products that I have used is that they have no padding between the back of the bag and your back. I have to ensure I pack the bag with my clothes or something soft on that side of the bag. I've had a few commutes where I've had to stop after a couple of miles to rearrange a corner of a hard lunch box that was digging in to me.

sand fungus
08-22-2015, 06:40 PM
I use the Ortlieb bag and have for the last 7 years and it has held up very well. I especially like that it is waterproof which is a big deal in the Seattle area. I can fit dress shoes, computer and all my dress clothes plus lunch and a water bottle. Works great and the venting acts as padding so the heavy computer or shoes are not digging into your back.

tuxbailey
08-22-2015, 07:51 PM
I have gotten the Ortlieb Packman Pro 2 back pack and I like it a lot. Roomy, waterproof and comfortable.

p nut
08-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Don't know about rest of you, but regardless of how much the pack bows out, I sweat. Perhaps not as much as a regular flat back bag, but when you sweat, period, you stink--so no benefit from such bags as a Deuter, (which I have).

I've been riding with my Missionworkshop Rambler for errands, which has been great. Will probably upgrade to a Vandal soon for more space.

But my preference for commuting/errands? Surly Big Dummy or another bike with a rack so I can get the stuff off of my back.

mvrider
08-22-2015, 08:30 PM
But my preference for commuting/errands? Surly Big Dummy or another bike with a rack so I can get the stuff off of my back.

I gotta agree. The best backpack for commuting is a pannier. Can't stand the feel of the pack when I'm crouched over. Think of the extra weight and drag of a rack-equipped bike as added resistance for your training regimen.

Back in the days when I was able to commute ~11 miles each way, a steel touring bike soaked up the bad roads a lot better than my carbon bike.

JAllen
08-22-2015, 08:37 PM
I could easily carry that in my Rivendell Hoss saddlebag hung from my B-17. I don't like riding with a load on my back. This load is a 5-rib beef rib roast, gallon of milk, whole pineapple, 1/2 gallon of ice cream and some lesser items. :-)

Man, that is a great bag!

To the OP, I would check out Blackstar Bags out of Portland. They are bomb proof!

tooslow4u
08-23-2015, 11:51 AM
here's what i've been using the past 2 years. lightweight and breathable and enough to carry a change of clothes..

http://www.timbuk2.com/especial-raider-cycling-backpack/423.html?size=7&color=2001&itemid=423-3-1072

Tickdoc
08-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Don't know about rest of you, but regardless of how much the pack bows out, I sweat. Perhaps not as much as a regular flat back bag, but when you sweat, period, you stink--so no benefit from such bags as a Deuter, (which I have).

I've been riding with my Missionworkshop Rambler for errands, which has been great. Will probably upgrade to a Vandal soon for more space.

Yep, we all sweat, but this one just allows a little wiggle and air flows right through. I don't ride in the rain, so waterproof ness doesn't matter to me, airflow and comfort win out for me.
http://www.ospreyeurope.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/a/talon-22-onyx--black-back-web_2.jpg

Wayne77
08-23-2015, 02:45 PM
I'll second Osprey. I've had the Momentum model for years and it's still in perfect condition. Very comfortable, rain cover, laptop sleeve , and can be cinched up nice and compact or expanded to fit a change of clothes & helmet. I do it very rarely, but in a pinch I've commuted 30 miles to work with a laptop in there. Not fun..but it wasn't my shoulders that suffered it was extra weight on my rear with the saddle. Shoulders and back were fine. I'm sure there are many other fine backpacks that would do the same. Key point -it's worth it to pay extra for the absolute best pack you can find.

pbarry
08-23-2015, 03:13 PM
A pack with a decent waist belt is a necessity for me when carrying any kind of load, both for securing the pack from side to side sway, and for distributing the weight lower, on the hips. These Patagonia bags are pretty nice, and a good deal right now:
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/critical-mass-messenger-pack?p=48220-1&pcc=1128

R3awak3n
08-23-2015, 03:27 PM
I have a mission workshop vandal which I like but its too big and heavy for a daily commute so for my birthday this year I got myself a Road Runner mini evil and its awesome.

$80, super light and fits everything I need to fit in there (also a 13in macbook pro), shoes, shirt, tools, headphones and a few more things. They are a great company to deal with too, made in USA.

https://roadrunnerbags.us/shop/evil-mini/

I do wish it had some pockets inside but for the price I am happy with it. I also put my laptop in a laptop pouch thing for extra protection

RyanH
08-23-2015, 05:44 PM
I think I've narrowed it down to the Ortlieb Packman Pro and the Timbuk2 Especial Raider. Hmm...torn without being able to see them in person. Comfort while riding is the big thing for me so that if I commuted 36 miles (one way) it'll be bearable. The Ortlieb seems to be a good all arounder (perfect for skiing or hiking in wet weather) while the Timbuk2 is exactly what I asked for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bkw
08-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Whatever it is you finally decide on, make sure it's got a buffer between your back and the bag. Osprey's mesh air frame imho is the best at keeping you cool when really workin it.

I've gone hiking in the jungles of Malaysia and Indonesia during the summer months with my Osprey and would have really overheated, like my mates, during the hard climbs and heat.

Anarchist
08-23-2015, 06:10 PM
I think I've narrowed it down to the Ortlieb Packman Pro and the Timbuk2 Especial Raider. Hmm...torn without being able to see them in person. Comfort while riding is the big thing for me so that if I commuted 36 miles (one way) it'll be bearable. The Ortlieb seems to be a good all arounder (perfect for skiing or hiking in wet weather) while the Timbuk2 is exactly what I asked for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I cannot comment specifically on the Raider. I use the Especial Messenger and the Especial Tres and cannot speak highly enough of them both.

There was an extensive discussion (mostly positive) of the Raider on V-Salon some time ago.

illuminaught
08-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Get the Sealline.

I've had a bunch of bags... I've kept three...
Zugster backpack (the only one ever made)...
Sealline backpack (for smaller loads)...
Reload messenger bag (for enormous loads).

The only issue with the Sealline is it has no internal organization. Saves weight - but is annoying. I carry a tool roll inside to hold keys, watch, and tools when I commute.

AJosiahK
08-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Been commuting for a long time via bike. Have used everything from chrome, revelate designs, ergon, and currently seal line. All which I can recommend highly.

Some of that stuff I still have so I've ended up using different stuff depending on what I need, what route I am taking (trails or road), what I have at work, and what I'm up to afterwards.

I liked the bigger ergon bags the most second to the seal lines, because of their design. Low center of weight from the ball joint straps and waist cage, accessible pockets. Enabled me to pack just the right amount of big and small stuff and trails were an option even with a heavy ish load. Not the most durable as zippers broke early and inside linking flaked rendering it much less water resistant / proof.

AJ

gomango
08-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Whatever it is you finally decide on, make sure it's got a buffer between your back and the bag. Osprey's mesh air frame imho is the best at keeping you cool when really workin it.

I've gone hiking in the jungles of Malaysia and Indonesia during the summer months with my Osprey and would have really overheated, like my mates, during the hard climbs and heat.

+1 Mine has been to Costa Rica and Croatia in the last three years.

It would allow a reasonable amount of air between the pack and our backs.

Also was comfy on our recent trip to Austin and San Antonio to visit my family.

We have three Osprey's at our house, as our oldest takes one to school at the U of MN and the youngest grabs one most days for high school.

estilley
08-23-2015, 07:55 PM
I'll third the Ortlieb Velocity.

Good deals on them right now at Sierra Trading Post

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ortlieb-velocity-backpack~p~8730j/?filterString=s~ortlieb-velocity%2F&colorFamily=04

Not sure how it would hold up for a super long commute though - might want to go with Panniers for that.

joe.e
08-23-2015, 08:16 PM
I've been using a chrome barrage for the better part of a year, and there are a few things I would change on it, but its served me well.The inside of the bag can fit a pair of work boots and change of clothes easily, and the mesh outer section is nice for storing bulky things (lunch/snacks mainly). The dual dry/not dry section of the bag works well, the buckles are super heavy duty, and the roll top cinches down tight or opens up decently tall when you need it. You can load the crap out of it, and as long as you distribute the load properly, its a breeze.

The only major downside is what another posted mentioned-- nothing between your back and the contents of the bag except like 1/4" of foam. I too have had to stop and rearrange because something is jabbing me in the back. I'm contemplating putting a length of thick foam in the laptop holder (right now I'm putting pants in that section to act as a barrier), but I wish it had a set up similar to my backpacking backpack (with a back section made out of carbon so that anything that is lumpy cant jab you).

Geeheeb
08-23-2015, 09:15 PM
I know you want a backpack, but I have used an ortlieb downtown pannier for over seven years, through michigan winters, and it has held up great. Some of the advantages that I get (which are really only relevant to me) are no back sweat, can hold a lot of weight, low center of gravity which is great when its icy, and it still kinda looks like a briefcase.

sand fungus
08-23-2015, 10:04 PM
I regularly commute 26 miles with the Ortlieb and have no problems. I expect that it would be fine at 32miles as well.

One positive for the backpack over the pannier is that if you do get hit there is a large airbag on your back.. I ran into a car that turned in front of me and landed on my back and with out the bag I am sure it would have been much worse. Not saying it would help all the time but in that instance it was a huge help.

fil
08-24-2015, 07:11 AM
huckberry has the raider at $54
use this link (http://fbuy.me/ctCk_) and I get a credit and you save another $10 they also have some chrome and mission workshop bags

SlackMan
08-24-2015, 07:36 AM
I'll third the Ortlieb Velocity.

Good deals on them right now at Sierra Trading Post

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ortlieb-velocity-backpack~p~8730j/?filterString=s~ortlieb-velocity%2F&colorFamily=04

Not sure how it would hold up for a super long commute though - might want to go with Panniers for that.

Wow, it's only $64 after the 20% discount! I paid $84 for mine several months ago, which I thought was a screaming bargain.

JAGI410
08-24-2015, 08:39 AM
PDW Take Out Basket - expensive for what it is, but works perfectly. Can't fit a whole change of clothes in there, but a shirt and food, sure.

qnelson
08-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Another vote for Mission Workshop bags. I have the vandal, which I would say is too big for daily commuting, but the benefit is that I use that bag for pretty much everything. Its been thrown on trains, plains, etc. and looks brand new. Its my go to travel bag, grocery getter, triathlon gear bag, etc. Brushes off snow and a decent rain pretty well. I don think its pretty hot, and if you are worried about sweat or just looking for something solely for the bike commute then I agree that a pannier is the way to go, but if you want a bag I love Mission Workshop.

qnelson
08-24-2015, 08:51 AM
PDW Take Out Basket - expensive for what it is, but works perfectly. Can't fit a whole change of clothes in there, but a shirt and food, sure.

This actually what I think I'm moving towards for my bike commutes. I have a friend with one and using a big dry bag he can carry a change of clothes and his tablet to work in it, minus his work shoes, which he leaves at work.