PDA

View Full Version : So glad I chose not to ride today

Tickdoc
08-22-2015, 08:15 AM
This was our ride path. Hope everyone else is ok out there. I have this image of them huddled under a bridge structure right now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/image.jpg1_zpsdnpeu5fc.jpg

LJohnny
08-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Wow that's angry purple In that storm cell

Sent from my brain

okie1kenobi
08-22-2015, 09:07 AM
I'n not making it out either, didn't think it was supposed to be this bad.

Tickdoc
08-22-2015, 09:22 AM
I'n not making it out either, didn't think it was supposed to be this bad.

I heard a slight rumble, checked the forecast, and it said light rain.

I've been caught in hail before, and although there is none with this little storm, it always gives me pause.

JAllen
08-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Wow good call!

rccardr
08-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Huh. Was just reading Elmore Leonard's 'The Hot Kid' on the way back from a week of touring in Vermont. Lots of it is set in the Tulsa/Sepulpa area.

Remember sitting on the runway in OK City one time as a bad storm was passing through. Wouldn't pull back to the gate, wouldn't take off. Office was sending me frantic messages telling me to het under a bridge...weird.

mgm777
08-22-2015, 04:52 PM
I rode in the Boulder area today. Sky was hazy and air was contaminated with smoke from the fires in the West. We rode a modified version of the Morgul Bismark course. Because of the air, heat, wind, and smoke, this was one of the most difficult 25 mile rides I've done in quite awhile. Glad I am now indoors.

weisan
08-22-2015, 05:02 PM
tick-pal, you just missed out on an "EPIC" ride

dpk501
08-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Yikes!!!!

Tickdoc
08-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Huh. Was just reading Elmore Leonard's 'The Hot Kid' on the way back from a week of touring in Vermont. Lots of it is set in the Tulsa/Sepulpa area.

Remember sitting on the runway in OK City one time as a bad storm was passing through. Wouldn't pull back to the gate, wouldn't take off. Office was sending me frantic messages telling me to het under a bridge...weird.

Really? Sapulpa is my home town, I'll have to check that out.

The outsiders is the only book (and movie) I know that really is set here.

Storms are just a way of life here, no biggie (most of the time).

Tickdoc
08-22-2015, 05:45 PM
tick-pal, you just missed out on an "EPIC" ride

No, been there done that. None of my epic rides involve 60 mph winds with hail, lightening, and flooding.

It's beautiful out now, just muggy as all get-out.

ceolwulf
08-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Here in Manitoba we had wild thunderstorms overnight, which I was acutely aware of because I was camping in a tent. (I measured it with my phone at 3 a.m., 80 db average and 96 db peak. Sleep tight!) Then for the early morning time trial in the park (which was why I was camping there, long drive from home) there was just a light mist/drizzle, fine conditions really. Then on my way back there were times when it was raining so hard I had to slow to half normal speed, and wipers couldn't keep up, and times when it was so dark (around noon) my automatic headlights came on, and some hail for a bit of spice. Was looking around for a tornado because I was sure there had to be one near, but didn't spot one. Been a crazy night and day, I'm beat ...

(docked five points for overuse of parentheses (at least no nested ones))