PDA

View Full Version : Park tool for straightening tubes

eddief
08-21-2015, 10:00 PM
I crashed my coupled bike a couple years ago and there is a very slight bow at the bottom of one seat stay. Does not seem to affect the ride, but my eyeballs can't leave it alone.

Is this the right tool for trying to take the bow out? I can borrow one from one of our local community bike shops.

http://www.parktool.com/product/frame-and-fork-straightener-ffs-2

dave thompson
08-21-2015, 10:24 PM
Nah, here's what you need.

Birddog
08-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Nah, here's what you need.

Aw come on Dave, you know that's for adjusting scope mounts. Can you see for the smoke? There is a long sad history of fires around Entiat.

dave thompson
08-21-2015, 10:45 PM
The whole north central part of our state is on fire, hundreds of thousands of acres. Mandatory evacuations of so many towns. Smoke so thick it reminds me of Riverside California during the 60s and 70s, visibility of less than a mile.

toytech
08-21-2015, 11:00 PM
sent you a pm

eddief
08-26-2015, 06:26 PM
owns the 3-point Park frame tool for straightening seat stays and other stays. We checked the bow in my seat stay with a straight edge, put one gripper on one side of the bow, another gripper on the other side of the bow, and the third gripper right over the bow. Then applied the screw just enough to move the bow and go to straight. Just about 5 minutes and done.

A good tool.
A better forum mate you will never meet.

rwsaunders
08-26-2015, 06:32 PM
+1.

EricEstlund
08-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Be careful- you can make a small issue a big one in a hurry with that tool.

eddief
08-26-2015, 08:19 PM
We got the bow out, but at the same time put a tiny dimple in the back side of the tube where we applied the pressure between the 2 outer grippers. All in all, I am happier with the straight stay and the tiny new dimple in a place where I and nobody else will notice.

And yes, watch out what you wish for and be careful when you don't know sh*t about lightweight steel tubes.

Be careful- you can make a small issue a big one in a hurry with that tool.