PDA

View Full Version : semi-OT: levi's pants

rilz
08-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Ok, maybe this is totally off topic, but I need to buy new pants and I like to wear pants on my commuter bike. Yes I am aware of the levi's commuter pants, but i am just interested in regular pants. Anyways, I used to wear the 514 slim straight leg pants, but since I started training more seriously, they are too narrow at the thigh.

Does anyone know which fit of levi's is good for someone built with thick thighs?

regularguy412
08-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Ok, maybe this is totally off topic, but I need to buy new pants and I like to wear pants on my commuter bike. Yes I am aware of the levi's commuter pants, but i am just interested in regular pants. Anyways, I used to wear the 514 slim straight leg pants, but since I started training more seriously, they are too narrow at the thigh.

Does anyone know which fit of levi's is good for someone built with thick thighs?

I think many of their styles come in slim, regular and relaxed fit. Anecdotally-- my family got me 2 new pair of 505's for Christmas. I usually wear relaxed fit for just the reasons you described. But they purchased regular cut. I can and do wear them, but they _are_ a bit snug through the hips and thighs.

Mike in AR:beer:

Vinci
08-21-2015, 10:08 PM
I guess they make a 541 now that is "athletic fit". I've never seen them in stores though.

MattTuck
08-21-2015, 10:36 PM
This thread was way better when I clicked on it hoping to ridicule a poor style choice by Levi leipheimer.

Sorry, I have no advice for your question :(

Ken Robb
08-21-2015, 10:41 PM
COSTCO jeans for $13.95. Really.:banana:

Louis
08-21-2015, 11:40 PM
COSTCO jeans for $13.95. Really.:banana:

But are they made by 13 year old Vietnamese girls who work 60 hrs / week for a pittance?

If so, I'm willing to pay a bit more and avoid the guilt. (Unless, of course, my not buying the jeans will cause the factory to go out of business, causing them to have to prostitute themselves to Chinese tourists.)

benito
08-22-2015, 02:28 AM
Since your in LA, you should hit up SWRVE, try some stuff on.

my cheap go-to is something stretchy from uniqlo though.

-b.

rain dogs
08-22-2015, 04:16 AM
You could try Beth Newell's jeans... did anyone get those 'Keirin-cut' jeans? EDIT: I guess they are coming soon: http://keirincutjeans.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/13/sports/clothing-start-ups-design-jeans-for-muscular-athletes.html?_r=0

PS. Levi's commuter jeans aren't the greatest (although I am actually wearing them as I type this). They are too hot. The calfs are too tight - I can't roll them at all.

PPS. Costco jeans are most certainly made by some wage-slave in poor conditions, but so are Levi's unfortunately - Mexico, China and Cambodia (I believe.) I've not seen a pair of US-made Levi's in decades. My commuter's are Made in China, which is a major drag.

bcroslin
08-22-2015, 06:30 AM
I know you mentioned you didn't want the Levis commuter 511's but you might want to look at them again. I just bought a pair that are made with a 2% spandex so they stretch a little and they fit great in the thigh and calf.

rugbysecondrow
08-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Is there a Levi store near you? I dropped in there and they lady quickly put me in a great fitting pair of pants (559) that were great for a bigger guy.

Check out raw denim offerings as well. I have a pair of Nudie jeans which I wore from scratch, and they become like custom pants. A thanksgiving as hoc football game ruined them beyond repair, but they were great.

Cheera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAGI410
08-22-2015, 07:29 AM
I'm really liking the Lee Modern Series, they have a little stretch to them and fit great.

Mikej
08-22-2015, 08:02 AM
Is it just me or are we just out of control or bored to death to the point of civilian clothes shopping threads? Pun...I would go to the store -

Cicli
08-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Is it just me or are we just out of control or bored to death to the point of civilian clothes shopping threads? Pun...I would go to the store -

no

here. http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/rapha-jeans/product/JNS01

bcroslin
08-22-2015, 10:47 AM
no

here. http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/rapha-jeans/product/JNS01

I've nearly shelled out $180 for Rapha's stupid sprinter jeans but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on something I normally spend $40 on.

Jeans are something I'm self-conscious about because I'm at a point where I can't find any that fit properly so I either look like I'm wearing my wife's jeans because of my stupid quads and calves or I'm going for the early 90's hip-hop baggy jeans look. Neither work on a guy in his mid 40's.

Like I mentioned, the Levi's 511 commuters with a little stretch in them work on my freakish calves and I don't feel like I'm going to rip the crotch out when I squat or bend over.

BurritoGuru
08-22-2015, 11:51 AM
I have always had a problem finding pants that fit. The levis 541 were a good start. They have a bit of elasticity and lighter weight fabric but were just a bit to tight in the thighs for me. The 501 shrink to fit has been my go to.

SeanScott
08-22-2015, 12:08 PM
This is slightly off topic but I bought a pair of the Levis cycling shorts and pants. they look pretty normal but are stretchy and have reflective areas.
Slightly hipster but actually work really well when one doesn't want to dress like a full fred racer boy to go on a ride.

professerr
08-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Try Patagonia Regular Fit jeans -- they are cut for the large thigh/small waist ratio of a cyclist, though the current version less so than past. Made in a very socially/environmentally conscious way, like much of their stuff.

Seramount
08-22-2015, 04:46 PM
hmm, can't wear jeans on the bike, I'm still traumatized from riding a century in 1970 in cut-off 501s...

my taint filed a restraining order against Levis that's still in effect.

etu
08-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Try Patagonia Regular Fit jeans -- they are cut for the large thigh/small waist ratio of a cyclist, though the current version less so than past. Made in a very socially/environmentally conscious way, like much of their stuff.

great idea!
like the OP, i've been looking for a good bike commuting pants that are too tight.

benito
08-23-2015, 07:10 AM
favorite pair of dirty hipster riding shorts are OG levi's stay-prest cut offs.

harder to kill than a pair of dickies.