PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reputable wheel rebuilder in Westchester county, NY or surrounding

bkw
08-21-2015, 04:20 PM
hey All,

Not sure if this belongs here, but hoping it does. If it doesn't, please accept my sincerest apologies.

I'm looking for a reputable person or shop to rebuild my rear wheel. I've picked up a rear CK R45 hub that I'd like to swap in, but I'm intimidated by the fact that any errors on my calculation and/or method could result as an expensive failure.

I've replaced spokes and rims before using existing parts, but I've never attempted re-dishing a wheel nor calculating new spoke lengths.

I would appreciate it if someone could recommend someone, or recommend a shop in the Westchester/Putnam/Rockland/Orange county areas north of NYC.

Thanks!!!

foo_fighter
08-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Perfect time to learn. It's not difficult. I was in your shoes and built 4 wheels recently. There are a couple of good online spoke calculators. The dt one and https://leonard.io/edd/

bkw
08-21-2015, 04:30 PM
I'll continue to research but calculating the dish going from 10 to 11 concerns me.

Ken Robb
08-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Ergott is on LI.

happycampyer
08-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Justin Bagnati at Signature Cycles in Greenwich.

christian
08-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Where in the area are you. I'd recommend Manuel at Julio Bicycle in Chappaqua, Eric at Bicycle World in Mt Kisco, in that order if you're along the Harlem Valley line. Justin does amazing work if you're near Greenwich. If you're up for shipping or driving to LI, I can also vouch for Eric - he's built great wheels for me.

ergott
08-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Tell me what rims you are using. I might be able to calc for you. I've built a lot of those hubs.

bkw
08-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys, I'm near both Julio and Bicycle World. Ill stop by both today.

Last question. Who do you all get your spokes from? Looking to go Sapim CXRay but I can't seem to find anyone who has them in stock, and if they do they want $5 a piece!

bkw
08-22-2015, 01:29 PM
It's a Yoeleo 50mm carbon clincher, U shaped, 25mm wide.

oldpotatoe
08-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys, I'm near both Julio and Bicycle World. Ill stop by both today.

Last question. Who do you all get your spokes from? Looking to go Sapim CXRay but I can't seem to find anyone who has them in stock, and if they do they want $5 a piece!

Unless you are a lightweight and maybe not even then, not sure the huge extra $ of Cx-Ray(or DT Aerolight) is worth the small to non existent advantage. Weigh a little less but still a thin spoke.

Fairwheel.com has them or will cut them for you.

I use a Thirdhand.com calc on my phone and a BicycleResearch one on my iPad.

bkw
08-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the tip. I've decided to go with the DT comp spokes after realizing that they're more readily available locally.