PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Question

wdlewis
05-10-2006, 05:30 AM
I am equipping an Ottrott and am down to the pedals. Everything going on the bike is Record or the best stuff the bike shop knows about.

My 12 year old Trek has Shimano pedals. They are relatively easy to get into, and have lots of float. The cleated shoes are very walkable.

Most of the pedal descriptions I've seen don't show what the cleated shoe looks like. I've seen bikers that appear to be very uncomfortable walking in their cleated shoes and some appear to have a large undershoe appendage.

Cost of the is not an issue in view of the overall cost of the bike.

I have old achy knees, but am in pretty good shape otherwise. I am riding a trail with a lot of cross roads so being able to get out of the pedals safely is a requirement.

Recomendations?

Ray
05-10-2006, 05:40 AM
Sounds like your old pedals are SPD mountain bike type pedals. Shimano still makes them, better now than then. Just get the highest end mountain bike pedal they make, I think it's the 959 or something like that. The pedals systems that make it harder to walk are road type pedal systems which are made solely for riding and barely acommodate walking. Mountain bike systems take both into account. And if you're riding a trail and not getting into a lot of mud and funky conditions, Shimanos are as good as any.

-Ray

Kevin
05-10-2006, 05:41 AM
Speedplays have double sided entry and are easy to clip in and out. They can be uncomfortable to walk in unless you also purchase the coffee shop covers.

Kevin

sam.g
05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm using double sided Shimano 959's on both my Hors Cat and CSi with cleated shoes, they work just fine. Easy entry and exit, walkable, no hot spots (with Sidi Mega Dominators) and enough float for my 56 year old knees.

Sam in Cincy