PDA

View Full Version : Attention Hunters.....have you used you bike

gmcampy
08-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Has anyone started using a bike to get deeper into game areas restricted to motor vehicles? I'm looking at Montana Scabbords as an option to haul a rifle on teh Fargo and possibly a sled for gear/pack out. Any good suggestions????

Thanks
Glenn

David Tollefson
08-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Many years ago, I used my MTB while deer hunting. It was more to get from one end of a ridge to the other, so that I could kick the woods towards the center from each end. I'd see a LOT of deer that way -- drive the animals one direction, then hit the bike to pass them and meet them head-on from the other direction. I didn't actually "hunt" from the bike, just used it to get me around them quickly. If I'd gotten one down, I would have packed it out normally, then come back for the bike. I suppose a BOB would do the trick, though.

jmoore
08-21-2015, 04:09 PM
I think whatever you can rig up to get you deeper into the hunting area quietly and safely is a good idea. Packing out an animal is going to be the major issue. Some sort of a trailer is a good idea.

bcroslin
08-21-2015, 04:24 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5141/5646102143_e888e65797.jpg

VTCaraco
08-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Had a crazy buddy 20 years ago that would hop on his Trek mountain bike and pedal north about 30 miles into the Adirondacks to go bear hunting. He was the son of a local doctor and fairly well known as a standout athlete (not a hooligan or "redneck").
Personally, I always wondered what he'd do if he shot one...but rumor was that he had at one point and simply hauled it back almost piggy-back style.

This is the same guy that used to crash horrifically, jump up in joy and run back to see if he could successfully navigate that stretch on a second (or third or fourth) try. And he always finished a hard mountain bike ride with a cheap beer for the whole group.

gdw
08-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Are you familiar with Coburn Outfitters? They sell fat bikes and gear to hunters.
http://www.cogburnoutdoors.com/

Outback Cayucan
08-22-2015, 11:26 PM
Bungee the gun case to the top tube and pedal on. I've done it 2-5 mi. in several times in approved areas over the years. Rest and water the dogs before going after birds. The labs always climbed in a stock tank after riding in except the 3degree F AM several years ago w/ two friends.

gmcampy
08-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Bungee the gun case to the top tube and pedal on. I've done it 2-5 mi. in several times in approved areas over the years. Rest and water the dogs before going after birds. The labs always climbed in a stock tank after riding in except the 3degree F AM several years ago w/ two friends.

Yeah my Mosin is a BIT long to strap to the TT, LOL

veggieburger
08-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Yeah my Mosin is a BIT long to strap to the TT, LOL

I have a Mosin too! Shot it for the first time about a month ago, 20-30 rounds, wore a T-shirt. Shoulder was pretty beaten up the next day.

PFSLABD
08-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Using your bike or an electric golf cart are some options for getting deeper into the woods. It also would help some really fat hunters to get in shape, but that's all conditional on them going in the woods. The hunters out where I live merely stand on the road or sit in their pickups and wait for the hunting dogs to run the deer out to the road so they can either pop them from inside their trucks or while standing on the road. In any hunting manual, that's poaching, but it seems to be a way of life out here in southeastern Va., mainly because our game wardens are stretched far and thin.

gmcampy
08-28-2015, 06:45 AM
I have a Mosin too! Shot it for the first time about a month ago, 20-30 rounds, wore a T-shirt. Shoulder was pretty beaten up the next day. Yeah, kicks like a MULE, Im ading a rubber recoil pad, cheap insurance. Clean it REAL good after using as the beridian primers really are corrosive!

F150
08-28-2015, 08:58 PM
The hunters out where I live merely stand on the road or sit in their pickups and wait for the hunting dogs to run the deer out to the road so they can either pop them from inside their trucks or while standing on the road. In any hunting manual, that's poaching, but it seems to be a way of life out here in southeastern Va., mainly because our game wardens are stretched far and thin.

Negative. Deer hunting with dogs is legal in a number of states, including VA unless it's changed recently...

earlfoss
08-28-2015, 09:41 PM
I had never considered riding my bike into hunting areas. This fall I may go out varminting and that seems like it might be a good way to get in the area without a lot of rustle.

JAllen
08-28-2015, 09:57 PM
Are you familiar with Coburn Outfitters? They sell fat bikes and gear to hunters.
http://www.cogburnoutdoors.com/

That's pretty damn cool.