PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey C220 stems?

makoti
08-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Anyone used these stems? http://ritcheylogic.com/road/stems/wcs-c220-84d-blatte-stem.html
Reading up on them, the article (http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/02/25/ritchey-logic-c260-c220-4-axis-stems-weighed-first-impressions/) described installation as "snapping in" the handlebars. Um, that doesn't sound great to me & wondered how it worked in real life. They also mentioned repositioning the bars once snapped in can be tricky. True? Looks like a nice stem & thinking of pairing it with my Ritchey carbon bars.

kramnnim
08-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Looks less annoying than the C260 which isn't too bad. Wouldn't worry about the snapping.

vqdriver
08-20-2015, 08:06 PM
i did have a question about these working with flat top bars when they first came out. honestly, there's so many other stems out there that i just moved on. even their own 4axis stems work perfectly well.

makoti
08-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Looks less annoying than the C260 which isn't too bad. Wouldn't worry about the snapping.

Yeah, a LOT less annoying than the 260's. Just would love to get feedback from someone who has done it.

blilrat
08-20-2015, 08:15 PM
I use the MTB version of this stem with flat bars. I don't remember snapping the bars into the stem. I do remember the fit was tight, but not tight enough that I had any trouble rotating the bars once it was installed.

jimdohertyjim
08-20-2015, 08:26 PM
I never used the C220 but I have a C260 on one bike. Only tricky part was installing them. I had to unwrap the bars some to get to more of the taper exposed to help get the stem on. As for adjustment with the bars it wasn't bad as far as I remember.

The Ritchey stem and bar combo does look good.

cinema
08-20-2015, 08:44 PM
i have one (http://ritcheylogic.com/road/stems/classic-c220-hp-silver-stem.html) and I didn't even realize it was some proprietary 220 degree mechanism until reading this thread. i thought it was a bit odd that the bolts were angled the way they are. I switched to this stem because i was fed up with slippage in a thomson stem. My ritchey works just fine, no slippage. I'm actually looking to get rid of it for a longer one eventually so if anyone wants it PM me. It's a great stem and hasn't slipped once on technical single track, hard braking, or long/sustained climbing.

makoti
08-20-2015, 09:21 PM
i have one (http://ritcheylogic.com/road/stems/classic-c220-hp-silver-stem.html) and I didn't even realize it was some proprietary 220 degree mechanism until reading this thread. i thought it was a bit odd that the bolts were angled the way they are. I switched to this stem because i was fed up with slippage in a thomson stem. My ritchey works just fine, no slippage. I'm actually looking to get rid of it for a longer one eventually so if anyone wants it PM me. It's a great stem and hasn't slipped once on technical single track, hard braking, or long/sustained climbing.

EDIT: And I did... too long for me. :mad: Someone should grab it. 100mm/6deg

SPOKE
08-20-2015, 09:36 PM
I've used many of the Ritchey stems on my bikes. I even tried the C260. I liked the fit up but as stated in another post above they are a pain if you want to switch bars. I have a C220 at Joe Bell's shop for custom paint. I expect it to be my new "go to" stem.

avalonracing
08-20-2015, 10:01 PM
I have a C220 and it didn't really snap in. It just kinda went right in like a 180º stem.

makoti
08-20-2015, 10:38 PM
I have a C220 and it didn't really snap in. It just kinda went right in like a 180コ stem.

Any trouble getting the bars positioned like you wanted them?

makoti
09-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Gonna close this up if anyone wonders or runs across this...
I put on the C220 stems this week, and the whole "snap" thing has got to be marketing to make it seem extra secure. It didn't snap, slid right into place & no troubles positioning the bars.

wildstar
09-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Gonna close this up if anyone wonders or runs across this...
I put on the C220 stems this week, and the whole "snap" thing has got to be marketing to make it seem extra secure. It didn't snap, slid right into place & no troubles positioning the bars.

I think the "snap" thing is referring to the 260 stem whch wrapped around the bar more than the 220 (260 degrees vs 220 degrees). I just intalled a 220 and indeed, it went on pretty much like a normal stem.

makoti
09-05-2015, 03:04 PM
I think the "snap" thing is referring to the 260 stem whch wrapped around the bar more than the 220 (260 degrees vs 220 degrees). I just intalled a 220 and indeed, it went on pretty much like a normal stem.

The 260 gave people fits trying to get it onto the bars b/c the opening was too small to go straight in. You had to slip it in from a more narrow part of the bar & for a lot of them that meant undoing tape, sometimes taking off one of the brake levers. No thanks. The 220 is works like a normal stem. I like it.