PDA

View Full Version : Are we supposed to recycle tires?

toaster
05-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I just throw old worn bicycle tires in the trash. I saw where they can get recycled. I'm all in favor of treating Mother Earth kindly so where are these tires going to go?

pale scotsman
05-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Schwalbe is doing it in Germany http://schwalbetires.com/company/recycling , but I've not seen tire recycling here. There was a guy around here recycling tubes into the uppers for sandals. He was taking the tubes down to Mexico and having sandals made from car tires for the bottoms and bike inner tubes for tops.

I'm guessing car and truck tires are taking such precedence for recycling that bike tires just don't add up in the grand scheme of things. Every bit counts in my book.

Louis
05-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Just toss the old tube by the side of the road, along with your PowerBar wrapper. That's what the folks with the beer cans / bottles / cig butts / fast-food trash and cups do, so I see no reason why we can't do that too.

pale scotsman
05-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Just toss the old tube by the side of the road, along with your PowerBar wrapper. That's what the folks with the beer cans / bottles / cig butts / fast-food trash and cups do, so I see no reason why we can't do that too.

How about diapers? I mean they are neatly folded like you'd put in the trash, but I'll be damned there's one every few hundred feet on this one road. Is there some poor kid that only gets changed in the car while the mom is driving? Hell, I'll bet she's smoking and chatting on her linc at the same time. It is rural Alabama so nothing really would surprise me. Not like I have anything else to look out for on that road...

My .02 Alabamian while waiting for mr. avaya and the new processor, tone clock, and pixie dust for the pbx that got hit by lightening about 8:45 PM Central... It's going to be a looonng night.

William
05-10-2006, 06:02 AM
In college I found a great use for my old worn tires. My roommates Chocolate Lab would play fetch and tug-O-war with them. Pull it off my wheel, show it to him ("c'mon Bear, get it, get it!), and then throw it out in the back yard. He'd play fetch with himself too. Grab it and shake it around (Grrrrr), then throw it across the yard and chase after it. He'd play for hours. He's a cool dog. Though he would never let me wash my Jeep with out attacking the water coming out of the hose. But I digress.....Recycle, it's good.

William ;)

Argos
05-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Louis,

I didn't know you were from NC. :rolleyes:

Jason

http://www.newsobserver.com/167/story/424575.html

Birddog
05-10-2006, 08:52 AM
How about diapers? I mean they are neatly folded like you'd put in the trash, but I'll be damned there's one every few hundred feet on this one road.
I can't believe people would do that. When our kids were in diapers, we always placed the used ones in the back of someone's pick up. Extra points if the back window had any kind of sticker.

Birddog