PDA

View Full Version : Wheel dish: Campagnolo 11s vs. Shimano 11s

mistermo
08-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Background:
I have a set of HED Belgium wheels with White Industries hubs (I forget which model) and I have both the Campy 10/11s and Shimano 10s freehub. Originally, I used the Shimano 10s freehub. Later, I switched to the Campy freehub but the wheels required a 2mm redish to shift properly with the new Campy freehub and cassette installed. Was this required because of the different stack height of a Campy 10s cassette and a Shimano/SRAM 10s cassette, presumably 2mm?

Situation
I recently ordered a set of handbuilt wheels with White Industries T11 hubs with a Campy 11s freehub. Instead, I received the wheelset with a Shimano 11s freehub. They're sending me the correct, replacement Campy freehub and are making it right. I intend to replace it, but wonder whether a redish is required for Campy-Shimano 11s gear. Lennard Zinn and others have written a fair bit about the intercompatibility of Shimano 11s and Campy 11s wheels, etc.

Question
Can any of you knowledgeable wheelbuilders out there confirm whether a redish would be required if changing from a White Industries Shimano 11s freehub to a similar Campy 11s freehub?

Thanks much.

ergott
08-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Both 11s freehubs have the same dish. Since you already have a Campagnolo freehub that works with 11s you might want to keep that Shimano 11 on the new wheels. Then you can run either with that wheel and swap freely.

PS - Shimano 11 cassettes work with Campagnolo 11 and cost less.

Tex Willer
08-20-2015, 04:10 PM
As long the spacer on the nd side is the same it shall not require redishing

StanleySteamer
08-21-2015, 01:59 AM
T11 hubs are plug and play, no redish needed.

commonguy001
08-21-2015, 06:10 AM
I just swapped my T11 freehub from Campy to Shimano 11 and it took just a few minutes and the wheel is still perfectly centered. Non-drive side spacing doesn't change at all.

mistermo
08-21-2015, 04:04 PM
I just swapped my T11 freehub from Campy to Shimano 11 and it took just a few minutes and the wheel is still perfectly centered. Non-drive side spacing doesn't change at all.

Wahoo!!! This is all good news. Does your post imply that you're now running Shimano 11s with an otherwise Campy drivetrain? If so, no issues?

commonguy001
08-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Wahoo!!! This is all good news. Does your post imply that you're now running Shimano 11s with an otherwise Campy drivetrain? If so, no issues?

I was actually running campy 11 on a SRAM 11 drivetrain and it worked fine. Swapped it over to a Shimano 11 cassette and it works about the same, I just wanted a bit bigger gear and had a new Ultegra cassette and already had the shimano parts for the hub.

oldpotatoe
08-22-2015, 06:25 AM

In spite of the 3 big cogset component makers misgivings, all 3 work very well mixed and matched, 11s. Just so much room for 11s cogset and chain dimensions are limited too with 11s. I suspect that if Veloce ever goes to 11s..the Veloce cogsets will be less $.