PDA

View Full Version : Child helmet

Dekonick
05-09-2006, 07:10 PM
OK - I know the Jerk won't approve but...

I need to get my son a helmet! He is 11 months old and is ready for the trailer. Where do I go to get one? Advice?

William
05-09-2006, 07:25 PM
OK - I know the Jerk won't approve but...

I need to get my son a helmet! He is 11 months old and is ready for the trailer. Where do I go to get one? Advice?

Local bike shop. Benny's or equiv store that sells kids bikes. Found some nice Bell kids helmets there at very reasonable prices. They all have to pass the same standards so you're covered.

William

93legendti
05-09-2006, 08:22 PM
My daughter's Giro works really well--except in the Burley where the back mesh netting tends to push her head forward and down (she is very light and on the shorter side). Depending upon your child's size and weight, there is an issue of the child's neck being able to support a helmet. But, I can't remember if it was with children less than 6 months old or less than 12 months old where that was an issue.

Dekonick
05-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks -

:)

jerk
05-10-2006, 09:31 PM
how about you teach her from an early age that riding a bicycle isn't dangerous and one needn't dress for war or crossing the snake river on a motorcycle when one simply wants to putt around on a bicycle. you know what? move to holland now, so your kid won't grow up living in someplace where she needs a helmet to ride a bicycle.

jerk

William
05-11-2006, 05:36 AM
how about you teach her from an early age that riding a bicycle isn't dangerous and one needn't dress for war or crossing the snake river on a motorcycle when one simply wants to putt around on a bicycle. you know what? move to holland now, so your kid won't grow up living in someplace where she needs a helmet to ride a bicycle.

jerk

Holland huh....

Is flower sniffing a dangerous activity requireing head protection? :bike:
http://www.softadventure.net/hollandcaroltulips.jpg

I guess these guys feel they doan need no stinkin helmets... :butt:
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_nov2003/HeightFright.jpg

Be careful walking on the side of the road... :no:
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_aug2004/CompuGo.jpg

I thought everyone rode their bikes in Holland??? :confused:
http://www.kellyguest.com/images/585_Runnning_to_Apen_Holland_-_Bike_broke_down..JPG

Doesn't seem so safe to me. ;)

William

JohnS
05-11-2006, 08:11 AM
I got vertigo just looking at that picture from the top of that antenna on the skyscraper...

Johny
05-11-2006, 09:04 AM
how about you teach her from an early age that riding a bicycle isn't dangerous and one needn't dress for war or crossing the snake river on a motorcycle when one simply wants to putt around on a bicycle.

jerk

Yes, that's beautiful. I learned how to ride a bike (actually my grandfather's bike) at a young age...some crashes...but never dangerous. FWIW, my grandfather still cycled at the age of 90. He passed away few year ago. He was a very healthy man, but unfortunately died of sudden death (heart failure). I miss him.

djg
05-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I'd stay away from anything with much of a tail on it--as a kid leans back against the "seat" it can be pretty awkward if the helmet has a long taper pushing the child's head forward. Take the kid to the lbs, or even to Target, and try a few on.

BTW, although I wear a helmet myself, I don't think it's crazy to have a kid ride in a trailer without a helmet. Our trailer has the kids secured in five point harnesses and the trailer itself has an aluminum frame that extends higher than any kid's head (and way wider than both). Even if we were to tip the thing over, it would be highly unlikely that either of the kids (we have two little ones of trailer size nowadays) would hit his or her head, and we just don't tip it. It seems to me that the most important thing about trailer safety is where and how you ride (and making sure that the kids are adequately ventilated and hydrated). I stick to MUTs and lightly travelled neighborhood streets around here when I'm towing the kids--the trailer is pretty visible, but I don't trust area drivers all that much and a helmet isn't going to protect my twins against some idiot's wandering SUV.