PDA

View Full Version : tubular CX rim beds

ik2280
08-19-2015, 10:27 PM
I'd like to run tubulars for cyclocross this year. Ran them for road racing, enjoyed them, thinking they'll be even better for cyclocross. I have a set of Reynolds DV46 tubulars and a set of WI T11 / Mavic Reflex 32h tubulars. (I'll be running rim brakes.)

I am curious if anyone has experience using Mavic Reflex rims for cyclocross. Do they provide a decent bed for gluing a wide tire that will experience lots of pull at low PSI?

I'm thinking that I'll sell the Reynolds and use the WI T11 / Reflex set with MXPs or Grifos and buy a cheap-ish set of tubulars to use with Limus or PDXs for muddy races. If y'all advise against using the Reflex (I've seen a lot of complaints across the hall), I'll just buy two matching sets of affordable tubular wheels - if so, is there a rim that anyone would recommend that provides a nice bed?

oldpotatoe
08-20-2015, 06:09 AM
I'd like to run tubulars for cyclocross this year. Ran them for road racing, enjoyed them, thinking they'll be even better for cyclocross. I have a set of Reynolds DV46 tubulars and a set of WI T11 / Mavic Reflex 32h tubulars. (I'll be running rim brakes.)

I am curious if anyone has experience using Mavic Reflex rims for cyclocross. Do they provide a decent bed for gluing a wide tire that will experience lots of pull at low PSI?

I'm thinking that I'll sell the Reynolds and use the WI T11 / Reflex set with MXPs or Grifos and buy a cheap-ish set of tubulars to use with Limus or PDXs for muddy races. If y'all advise against using the Reflex (I've seen a lot of complaints across the hall), I'll just buy two matching sets of affordable tubular wheels - if so, is there a rim that anyone would recommend that provides a nice bed?

As a pretty wide and not very deep rim, it would work fine.

mtb_frk
08-20-2015, 06:12 AM
Velocity Major Tom or HED Belgiums are pretty much made for cross racing. Probably can't do much better than either of those in a Al rim.

christian
08-20-2015, 07:10 AM
I've raced cross on Reflex rims. They're fine. I raced CT series and NJ series venues so probably most of the same venues you'd be doing.

oldpotatoe
08-20-2015, 07:15 AM
Velocity Major Tom or HED Belgiums are pretty much made for cross racing. Probably can't do much better than either of those in a Al rim.

I agree, just built a Major Tom set and besides being very easy to build, their wideness and design make them ideal for cross but sounds like he already has wheels. HED are nice time too just don't understand why they are so expensive.

Just built a Velocity Escspe wheel set also. Very impressed with these rims as well. Very flat/round when new, very easy build with very consistent tension when done. Any misgivings about Velocity QC for FLA made rims can be put aside, imho

old fat man
08-20-2015, 07:28 AM
<shameless plug>

The Reflex would be fine, but if you want some wider Major Tom tubulars (currently set for Campy), I've got a good condition set that I'll sell. I'd even glue up the Schwalbe Racing Ralph tubular tires and include those if you want them too. Or, I have a pair of silver Ksyrium SL tubulars I'm looking to sell.

Again, those Reflex would be fine too. My first set of cx tubulars were Reflexes and they lasted a nice long time.

I'm in CT and coming to NYC soon so I could probably even deliver.