PDA

View Full Version : FSA SL-K (not light) crankset

ontarget
08-19-2015, 09:14 PM
Hello:

I just came into possession of an FSA SL-K crankset. Not the SL-K Light, but the older SL-K. It's a compact, which I prefer to my existing standard crankset for climbing. I have a few questions for those of you in the know:

1) What's the torque spec on the left arm bolt? It isn't marked. This crankset has a self-extracting bolt that may be aluminum (black, non-magnetic).

2) Should this crankset be Campy 10-speed compatible? Neither the crank nor rings are marked in this regard.

3) When installing, are any washers required? I'm guessing I need a wave washer, but want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

rustychisel
08-20-2015, 12:32 AM
2 piece with hollow axle and MegaExo bottom bracket???

If so, yes to wavy washer on LHS. use grease, locate LHS crank on splines and torque to about 30ft/lb. That's firm to pretty firm. If it's the early model with the alloy bolt and collar you've probably killed it at that point; they were made of a peculiar alloy of cheese. Source a steel one.

Set up properly with FD they'll play fine with Shimano or Campagnolo 9 sp, 10 sp, 11 sp. Not the best, not the worst, not the lightest. Chainrings can wear reasonably quickly.

oldpotatoe
08-20-2015, 06:05 AM
2 piece with hollow axle and MegaExo bottom bracket???

If so, yes to wavy washer on LHS. use grease, locate LHS crank on splines and torque to about 30ft/lb. That's firm to pretty firm. If it's the early model with the alloy bolt and collar you've probably killed it at that point; they were made of a peculiar alloy of cheese. Source a steel one.

Set up properly with FD they'll play fine with Shimano or Campagnolo 9 sp, 10 sp, 11 sp. Not the best, not the worst, not the lightest. Chainrings can wear reasonably quickly.

If it's an early one, that doesn't have a tapered spindle, sleeve retainer, some sort of loctite, is what FSA recommends since many fell off. I used a purple sleeve retainer compound then about 30 ft-lbs. Yes, Campagnolo 10s compatible.

YES, get a steel crank bolt. I hope the electronic group they are developing is better thought out than some of their cranksets.

ontarget
08-20-2015, 07:03 AM
Thanks for your replies. I wasn't very clear ... it is a 2-piece MegaExo. I'll look for a steel bolt.

ontarget
08-21-2015, 06:34 PM
My attempt to install this crank was a failure. Perhaps you folks can help?

It's replacing a FSA SL-K Light standard crankset in a BB86 bottom bracket shell using the FSA bottom bracket cups/bearings advertised for Mega-Exo cranks without pinch bolts, which is what I have. I figured I should be good to go swapping Mega-Exo for Mega-Exo. However, the SL-K (not light) has a longer spindle. When installed with the wave spring, and torqued down as suggested, the wave spring is loose and there's about 1/8" play side to side. With both cranks off the bike, the spindle for the SL-K (not light) is longer than that for the SL-K Light, and the bearing contact surfaces are slightly wider apart.

Any idea what's going on? I thought Mega-Exo was Mega-Exo.

Thanks in advance!

dannyk
08-21-2015, 07:04 PM
no way. hence many people's (and especially shops) dislike of FSA. theres a few diff mega ex BB's that you cant tell apart from looking at and a poorly organized website of PDF's to tell you what you need. While scouring that info, you can also find which cartridge bearings your old BB uses and could also try swapping them out. Im an "okay" mechanic and was easily able to do this at home.

sandyrs
08-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Hello:

I just came into possession of an FSA SL-K crankset. Not the SL-K Light, but the older SL-K. It's a compact, which I prefer to my existing standard crankset for climbing. I have a few questions for those of you in the know:

1) What's the torque spec on the left arm bolt? It isn't marked. This crankset has a self-extracting bolt that may be aluminum (black, non-magnetic).
Enough to strip the threads, but not enough to keep the crank arm from loosening.
2) Should this crankset be Campy 10-speed compatible? Neither the crank nor rings are marked in this regard.
It is equally incompatible with all drivetrains
3) When installing, are any washers required? I'm guessing I need a wave washer, but want to be sure.
Probably, but the documentation was destroyed in 2008.
Thanks in advance!

I've had some negative experiences with FSA cranks.

runbike8
08-21-2015, 08:43 PM
The SLK light uses a different width BB than the standard SLK - the SLK BB is wider than the light version so it's not a direct replacement. However, with the non-light version, most external BBs will work (i.e. FSA, Shimano, etc.)

ontarget
08-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Sounds like this crank isn't compatible with a BB86 bottom bracket. I'll have to return it.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.