PDA

View Full Version : campy 10sp record Shifter Problems

dsimon
08-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Hey every once in awhile my shifters will lock out in the 13 gear and will not shift to an easier gear. I have ensure the cable is lubed. do i need to lube the Shifters or are they getting old and need to be replaced. Thanks

cmbicycles
08-19-2015, 03:19 PM
If it is an issue inside the shifter, they can be rebuilt. I doubt lubing would be the solution unless they are completely dry inside (ie no lube left).

What do you mean they lock out? Is the shift lever jammed or does the lever move but nothing happens in back (ie it misses the shift)? What are you considering 13th gear (Big/small ring certain gear on the cassette)? Is the rear or front that won't shift, or both?

Likely Old Potatoe would be happy to rebuild the shifters for you if that is what they need. I'm sure there are probably others as well if your LBS can't help.

FlashUNC
08-19-2015, 03:48 PM
It may....may....be a g spring issue. That's the most common problem on the 10 spd shifters, but the fix is easy in a rebuild.

All depends on just how you're not able to shift that will help diagnose it.

dsimon
08-19-2015, 05:14 PM
IM sorry about the vagueness, So right hand shifter rear cassette. not all the time but sometime when im in a high gear I.E 23tooth and use my thumb shifter and dump down to say the smallest cassette a 13 tooth when I try to shift back up to an easier cassette the index finger or padded under the brake lever will not move. so ill move the thumb shifter down a few more to insure it not hung up. I have to do this a couple of time. today i actually had to pull over and pull the shifter cable a few time to insure it was not the cable and then i started to work again:help:

ultraman6970
08-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Probably the carrier broke one of its legs.

FlashUNC
08-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Probably the carrier broke one of its legs.

This has been my experience. Busted g spring carrier. Fiddling with it will cause it to work again as the parts realign.

dsimon
08-19-2015, 05:44 PM
So apply lube and be ginger until winter and then what?

john903
08-19-2015, 06:13 PM
This has happened to me before and I would suggest looking for the simple fix first. For me the brake hood was not seated right and a piece of hood was caught in the spool and cable.
Hope that helps.
John

oldpotatoe
08-20-2015, 06:14 AM
Hey every once in awhile my shifters will lock out in the 13 gear and will not shift to an easier gear. I have ensure the cable is lubed. do i need to lube the Shifters or are they getting old and need to be replaced. Thanks

I suspect the thumb button is foiled or somehow stuck down a little bit, where the teeth engage the shift disc and it won't shift-is jammed. Either the pivot on the thumb button isn't pivoting or the bar tape or hood is interfering with the thumb button returning all the way up and you shift.

If it were a g spring or carrier, the levers still move, just feel really soft. For the OP, if nobody there 'qui si parla Campagnolo', sure, send it to me and I'll make it like new. $25 labor plus parts if needed.

dsimon
08-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Thanks Mr Old Potato ill check the hoods and tape if it still doesnt work Ill send your way after the 1st Frost

roadie7
08-20-2015, 07:02 AM
I have the same problem after a shifter spring was replaced several months ago. I attributed it to the tightness of the new sprint. To solve it, I slow up and then attempt to shift.

oldpotatoe
08-20-2015, 09:32 AM
I have the same problem after a shifter spring was replaced several months ago. I attributed it to the tightness of the new sprint. To solve it, I slow up and then attempt to shift.

I suspect it wasn't put back together right if the above was happening. New springs don't make it un-shiftable.