PDA

View Full Version : Serotta web page

Serotta_Andrew
05-09-2006, 03:25 PM
A question to all, does anyone look at the Serotta web site or do you go straight to the forum???

davids
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I go straight to the forum several times a day. I visit the website every week or so.

There's more updates here...

Argos
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I look at the webpage, but my link in my favorites is straight to the forum. That said, I am looking at your regular webpage a couple of times a week.

Mostly when I'm up to no good.

(ask steve to forward you my email)

Jason

Ginger
05-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I come straight to the forum but I go to the web page several times a week to see what's new.

Now...I have a few suggestions. 1. Create a forum section for Serotta News and post it here on the forum as well as on the web page. It should be a simple automatic feed issue.

Second, Link to the home page is buried at the bottom of the screen.
See that SEROTTA logo at the top left hand on the forum screen? Can you tell me Why-OH-Why isn't that a link to the Serotta Home page? Every time I see something mentioned about the web site that I want to go check out there is no simple CLICK to get from the forum to the home page. Seems to me that that logo would be the logical link.

:banana:

Bittersweet
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Straight to the forum. Rarely to the web page.

pdxmech13
05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
:banana: ;) ;) Serotta has a website with products that they sell ?
;) :beer: ;)

lnomalley
05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
A question to all, does anyone look at the Serotta web site or do you go straight to the forum???

i sometimes pop from the forum to the webpage to see if prices have miraculously dropped. pllllleeeeeeeeeeez don't make us have to pass through. it's the very understatened this way which is in some way tilting me towards dropping all that cash on your plastic bike.

cydewaze
05-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Ginger's right, there should be a link from the forums to the main site.

I look at the site often, as I'm considering purchasing a CdA. I have to say - and no offense meant by this - I think it could use a bit of a face-lift (the website, not the CdA). The java popdown menus are a bit clunky and a little difficult to use.

I know this wasn't meant to be a request for opinions, but I'm a web developer by trade, so it's hard for me not to offer advice. I also think that a top-end bike like a Serotta should have an equally top-end website.

Ahneida Ride
05-09-2006, 03:42 PM
i sometimes pop from the forum to the webpage to see if prices have miraculously dropped. pllllleeeeeeeeeeez don't make us have to pass through. it's the very understatened this way which is in some way tilting me towards dropping all that cash on your plastic bike.

always to Serotta home page. check it out and thn to forum

ada@prorider.or
05-09-2006, 03:44 PM

i go straight to the forum
cees :banana:

zeroking17
05-09-2006, 03:52 PM

Serotta PETE
05-09-2006, 03:54 PM
I go right to the forum most times. A few times per week I go to "home" page.

Pete

vaxn8r
05-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Forum first. Once or twice a month to the site.

Kevan
05-09-2006, 04:13 PM
[PSEUDOLUS]
Something familiar,
Something peculiar,
Something for everyone:
A comedy tonight!

Something appealing,
Something appalling,
Something for everyone:
A comedy tonight!

Nothing with kings, nothing with crowns;
Bring on the lovers, liars and clowns!

Old situations,
New complications,
Nothing portentous or polite;
Tragedy tomorrow,
Comedy tonight!

Something convulsive,
Something repulsive,
Something for everyone:
A comedy tonight!

Something aesthetic,
Something frenetic,
Something for everyone:
A comedy tonight!

Nothing with gods, nothing with fate;
Weighty affairs will just have to wait!

Nothing that's formal,
Nothing that's normal,
No recitations to recite;
Open up the curtain:
Comedy Tonight!

Something erratic,
Something dramatic,
Something for everyone:
A comedy tonight!

Frenzy and frolic,
Strictly symbolic,
Something for everyone:
A comedy tonight!

[ENTIRE COMPANY]
Something familiar,
Something peculiar,
Something for everybody:
Comedy tonight!
Something that's gaudy,
Something that's bawdy--

[PSEUDOLUS]
Something for everybawdy!

[ENTIRE COMPANY]
Comedy tonight!

[MILES GLORIOSUS]
Nothing that's grim.

[DOMINA]
Nothing that's Greek.

[PSEUDOLUS]
[Indicating DOMINA:]
She plays Medea later this week.

[WOMEN]
Stunning surprises!

[MEN]
Cunning disguises!

[ALL]
Hundreds of actors out of sight!

[ERRONIUS]
Pantaloons and tunics!

[SENEX]
Courtesans and eunuchs!

[HERO]
Funerals and chases!

[LYCUS]
Baritones and basses!

[PHILIA]
Panderers!

[HERO]
Philanderers!

[HYSTERIUM]
Cupidity!

[MILES]
Timidity!

[LYCUS]
Mistakes!

[ERRONIUS]
Fakes!

[DOMINA]
Rhymes!

[PHILIA]
Crimes!

[PSEUDOLUS]
Tumblers!
Grumblers!
Bumblers!
Fumblers!

[ALL]
No royal curse, no Trojan horse,
And a happy ending, of course!
Goodness and badness,
Panic is madness--
This time it all turns out all right!
Tragedy tomorrow,
Comedy tonight!

Count me as 2 favorite websites, both direct.

e-RICHIE
05-09-2006, 04:13 PM
it's phorum atmo

zeroking17
05-09-2006, 04:19 PM
it's phorum atmo

As in PhrontCenter?

Ahneida Ride
05-09-2006, 04:20 PM
it's phorum atmo

e-Ritchy is correct.

Kevan
05-09-2006, 04:22 PM
e-Ritchy is correct.

it's the website designer who is wrong.

er, whrong!

JohnS
05-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Straight to the forum. Right now, I can't afford another Serotta, so why bother?

abqhudson
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Forum usually. Links to the main web page and the demos/specials web page would be nice.

Jim

Argos
05-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Everyone,

There is a link in the bottom right of the page. It says "Serotta Competition Bicycles"

Ken Robb
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
a couple of times a week I look for new stuff on the site.

Fixed
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
bro i check it out when you guys coming here? and and checked out the 8 steps today . I like that foto the bike near the fountain . cheers

GoJavs
05-09-2006, 05:15 PM
But Serotta Andrew - the forum section of the website could easily afford a little more marketing in it...A banner or two on the top...no pop-ups though please... :crap:

e-RICHIE
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
btw what's the company line here?
is this seen as a serotta owners forum,
or an online message board sponsored
by the firm?

i like the diversity of the community and
the threads are stimulating. i arrived here
vis-a-vis kahuna, and have posted accordingly
ever since the hand-over that occurred what -
2 years ago? the transition took some getting
used to but, yo, look at all the acronyms now.

i'm glad that it's a moderated board and am
happy that andrew and james don't need to
step in too often atmo.

Headwinds
05-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Straight to the forum. Rarely to the web page.

R.

1centaur
05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I would have thought your Web master could have analyzed the traffic to see how many people come here from the website. I have occasionally thought that Serotta could make more of the marketing opportunity this forum provides, such as banners when new things get put on the website or stickies to announce events.

BTW - Straight to the forum every time.

palincss
05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
it's phorum atmo

No, that's a competing product. This forum is run by Vbulletin, totally different software.

palincss
05-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Straight to the forum.

Orin
05-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Depends on what my browser last remembered - via the web page on this computer at least.

Orin.

e-RICHIE
05-09-2006, 05:59 PM
No, that's a competing product. This forum is run by Vbulletin, totally different software.

steve, steve, steve...
sorry i was so obtuse; i was referring to this forum's roots
as kahuna's hydrophorum or whatever this place was once
called way back when.

spiderman
05-09-2006, 06:00 PM
1) to see if my name has been drawn for a meivici
2) to see if the frame section has resurfaced
3) check out any hint that ben may be coming to okoboji!

dave thompson
05-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Always to the forum first!

Several times a week to the website.

72gmc
05-09-2006, 06:14 PM
I visit the site weekly to dream about becoming a Serotta owner.
I visit the forum daily to remind myself of what will happen to me when I become a Serotta owner...

Kevin
05-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I always pass through the home page on my way to the forum. I take a quick look at the news section and click on the forum link.

Kevin

dgauthier
05-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Web site? You have a web site?

Straight to the forum.

By the way, IMHO, the link to "Serotta Competition Bicycles", at the bottom of this page, is *way* too subtle. It should be at the top, near the Serotta logo.

William
05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Honestly?

Straight to the forum multiple times a day during the week. Occasionally on the weekend. I'm lucky if I hit the website once a month.

More announcements on a banner or something would be fine. Ads? Most everyone here already drinks the Kool aide. New folks find the forum through the website. That's how I originally found it. Advertising seems logically better placed there as it should be.

William

Ray
05-09-2006, 07:13 PM
To the forum. The only time I hit the website is if I'm looking for a particular piece of information there or if I'm on an unfamiliar computer that doesn't have the forum in the favorites. In which case www.serotta.com is all my feeble mind can remember and I go to the website enroute to the forum.

-Ray

saab2000
05-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Usually forum. But sometimes I browse the products. Usually Ottrott and/or CDA. I do go to the website, but I pretty much know what Serotta has on offer and I have the geo for my size memorised and I know what colors are on offer and the rake and stiffness of the F3 fork. There is not much there new to look at, but sometimes I still look anyway.

Erik.Lazdins
05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
I found the forum after visiting the site several times looking at Serottas. As my LBS isn't a Serotta dealer(buying a Serotta wasn't easy) I held off.

Over time I found the forum to be filled with a balanced lot of very insightful people passionate about biking. As its moderated, I like the "mood" of it as well.

As you guys (Serotta) come up with new stuff I visit the site to be sure, however the forum has become woven into the daily fabric of my on-line life.

Each time I log on, I see the Serotta logo and know I'm visiting your site.

bulliedawg
05-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Forum. Why look at the website unless you're in the market for something. I fear our answers are going to cause the forum to become more commercially oriented.

Serotta_James
05-09-2006, 08:25 PM
btw what's the company line here?
is this seen as a serotta owners forum,
or an online message board sponsored
by the firm?

i like the diversity of the community and
the threads are stimulating. i arrived here
vis-a-vis kahuna, and have posted accordingly
ever since the hand-over that occurred what -
2 years ago? the transition took some getting
used to but, yo, look at all the acronyms now.

i'm glad that it's a moderated board and am
happy that andrew and james don't need to
step in too often atmo.

Ritchie,
The answer to your question is the latter... We've never fallen victim to the belief that all users of the forum will be Serotta Owners. I believe that this forum helps keep the sport of cycling and the love of great bikes in the forefront of all our minds... This benefits you, Ben, Mr. Kirk and all those who create such products.
I like to think of this forum as an Oliver Wendell Holmseian type Marketplace of Ideas. Through all the various opinions and perspectives, some truths bubble to the surface. I'm also happy that I don't have to step in too much, and even happier that we hired Andrew so I have to step in even less. :D

spiderlake
05-09-2006, 08:29 PM
My bookmark is the forum but I check the main page several times a week to drool and check out the latest news.

e-RICHIE
05-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Ritchie,
The answer to your question is the latter... We've never fallen victim to the belief that all users of the forum will be Serotta Owners. I believe that this forum helps keep the sport of cycling and the love of great bikes in the forefront of all our minds... This benefits you, Ben, Mr. Kirk and all those who create such products.
I like to think of this forum as an Oliver Wendell Holmseian type Marketplace of Ideas. Through all the various opinions and perspectives, some truths bubble to the surface. I'm also happy that I don't have to step in too much, and even happier that we hired Andrew so I have to step in even less. :D

it's the best forum online.
vn, rbr, bikeforums, cyclingforum, bicycling,
and all the others are a distant fourth to this
one wrt the quality of chat, the tolerance, and
the general level of intelligence found day in and
day out in all the threads and posts atmo.

Bill Bove
05-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Yeah what e-RICHIE said.

Serotta_James
05-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Forum. Why look at the website unless you're in the market for something. I fear our answers are going to cause the forum to become more commercially oriented.

More commercially oriented than what? The commercial value of this forum is (sometimes) latent.
There are some who would say that this forum is already too commercially oriented towards products other than Serotta. It could be argued that Ritchie, Dario, DK and others benefit as much (if not moreso based on ratio of percentage of overall sales to forum members) as we at Serotta do from this forum's existence.
I've made my feelings clear, however.

Onno
05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Everyone,

There is a link in the bottom right of the page. It says "Serotta Competition Bicycles"

OMG. Who knew?! Like Ginger, I've also tried to click the big Serotta banner at the top of the forum page, to no avail.

Len J
05-09-2006, 08:54 PM
I go to the home page and then directly to the phorum.

Len

Moosedryvr
05-09-2006, 08:55 PM
it's the best forum online.
vn, rbr, bikeforums, cyclingforum, bicycling,
and all the others are a distant fourth to this
one wrt the quality of chat, the tolerance, and
the general level of intelligence found day in and
day out in all the threads and posts atmo.

Well said.

SPG

PS - Forum daily, website occasionally.

Skrawny
05-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Always home page first, thence to the forum.
Sometimes a funny thing happens to me on the way to the forum...

-s

PS- didn't even know we had a link to the home page from the forum 'till I read about it in this thread.

H.Frank Beshear
05-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Both at work I check out the site first in case I have to well, work. At home I go straight to the phorum. Unlike some this is the only phorum/chat room I visit. I have learned more about effective cycling, and ideas about fixes and solutions to problems than I'd have ever learned on my own. It's fun when I walk into the bke shop and the owner ask me questions about something I'd heard here and repeated there. I have made some very good friends here that share a common intrest. The depth of knowledge is incredible on all sides. I own a Serotta used to own 2 and someday will own a otrott, but I also hope to own a sachs, and am waiting for my Kirk to arrive. Paitiently I may add :crap: :D . I have been here since the beginning of K's phorum and hope to be around here a long time. I am, as are many of us grateful to Ben for having the cajones to put up with this jolly band of mis-fits. God(insert Deity of choice) knows it hasn't been easy for him at times. This probably hasn't been the answer you were looking for but it gives many of us a chance to thank Serotta as a company and Ben in particular for allowing this. Thank you, Frank

Dr. Doofus
05-09-2006, 09:22 PM
forum

bypass serotta page -- doof knows the bikes, and there are no hot girls

Birddog
05-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Webpage 1st, then forum.

Birddog

Fixed
05-09-2006, 09:30 PM
forum

bro missed number 8 on the 8 steps . on the front page .cheers

Louis
05-09-2006, 09:42 PM
It could be argued that Ritchie, Dario, DK and others benefit as much (if not moreso based on ratio of percentage of overall sales to forum members) as we at Serotta do from this forum's existence.

If it's any consolation, because of this forum I own two Serottas and not a single Sachs, Peg, or Kirk.

Louis

SoCalSteve
05-09-2006, 09:55 PM
forum

Maybe thats why I dont go to the Serotta site very often...Hmmm, or, maybe its because I already own 3 of them and cannot afford a MeVici...Unless that oil royalty check is REAL big!

Steve

SoCalSteve
05-09-2006, 09:56 PM
If it's any consolation, because of this forum I own two Serottas and not a single Sachs, Peg, or Kirk.
Louis

Wow! What's my problem? I own a Peg, a Kirk is on the way and I am in line for a Sachs.

Steve

Bruce K
05-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Forum first. Home page every couple of days.

Oh Kevan.... Everybody ought to have a maid.... :D

and BTW - How many geese are in a gaggle? :rolleyes:

:banana: :banana:

BK

Serpico
05-09-2006, 10:19 PM
More commercially oriented than what? The commercial value of this forum is (sometimes) latent.
There are some who would say that this forum is already too commercially oriented towards products other than Serotta. It could be argued that Ritchie, Dario, DK and others benefit as much (if not moreso based on ratio of percentage of overall sales to forum members) as we at Serotta do from this forum's existence.

I guess--but you're not directly competing with any of the above.

(non) scenario: Guy is riding his first road bike, starts doing group rides with the folks from his shop and after a couple of years decides to upgrade. One of his pals has a Litespeed, the other is constantly raving about "custom" bikes. It's almost summer, so he goes into a shop and learns about Serotta--he can get a fancy titanium frame that is custom as well. Guy decides to check out Serotta's website and finds his way to the forum. On the forum he learns about the frames built by Richard Sachs. He calls his lbs and tells them he's no longer interested in a Serotta, he's getting on e-richie's four year wait list instead. Not gonna happen.

There's folks here that had a Serotta, then bought a Kirk, and then bought two more Serotta's, and then bought a Sachs. There's no one here that didn't buy a Serotta because they bought a frame from one of the above builders--they're completely different styles of bikes, made from different materials, using different geometries, aimed at different markets, for different intended uses.

Sach's, Kirk, nor Serotta never lost a sales because of one of the others--"high-end frames" is all they have in common.

There's wine, aged scotch, microbrew, expensive sake, etc, etc--they're all fine liquors, but totally different. No one ever thirsted for wine and grabbed bottle of scotch instead.

When Moots, Seven, and yes even Litespeed folks start hanging out here, then you might lose sales--because they are in the same market.

Serotta, Sachs, Kirk = different markets, same high quality

Serotta, Moots, Seven, Litespeed = same market, differing quality

I wanted a Ti frame, came here and a lotta cool folks talking about stuff, free form discussion--not so with the other Ti brands, no community, no discussion, no feedback--I bought a Serotta. This forum is good for the brand.

The cats above are good for Serotta and lend credibility to the brand.

(btw, "Sachs, Kirk" = I mean "all the independent builders/artists who participate on the forum and the industry people and the race people and the wheelbuilder people, etc etc etc")

just imo^^..:)

Ahneida Ride
05-09-2006, 10:37 PM

The Phorum promotes cycling. That can't hurt Ben. The more people cycle
the more Bikes Ben will see. and besides Ben is outa the Lugged Steel side.

I purchased my Legend because of this Phorum.

I don't know how much it costs to run, but the feedback to Serotta
should be worth the expense.

Ben makes a exemplary product. Serotta has little to fear !

The Phorum is a educational experience. I learned a ton here and
met some really great friends too. !!!!

Thanks Ben !!!!

catulle
05-09-2006, 10:38 PM

Mostly I go to the forum directly but I often browse the other sections of the site. However, considering that I live overseas and there are no Serotta dealers anywhere near where I live, I find the site lacking in terms of offering enough pictures and information for one to acquire an accurate idea of what Serotta bicycles are like.

I just returned from the US where I made a point of visiting a few shops that carry Serotta and what I saw was quite different from what I had in mind. But if you consider that Serotta bicycles have a limited distribution, this would also apply for people living in the US.

I understand that yours is a relatively low volume, high margin business, but just the same. If you have a web site it might as well earn its keep, so to speak. Now, I must point out that this is a great site when compared to others, the paint your own function is fantastic, for instance; but you can always improve it.

Lastly, nevertheless, I am extremely grateful for the opportunity you offer for us to come to your home and have such a great time. Thank you, atmo.

slowgoing
05-10-2006, 12:27 AM
I visit the site but not as often as when you had frames on sale or for auction. I visited more often just before I bought a new frame and had Serotta paint another.

Sandy
05-10-2006, 12:42 AM
First, my default page is the Serotta Forum. I go to it several times a day. I will go from the forum to the Serotta website, but only occasionally.

I think that Ginger's ideas are excellent to help promote Serotta on its own forum. Members and viewers take a lot from the forum, and Serotta also receives some helpful information via the forum.

However, Serotta has an asset that it does not use adequately, in my opinion. There are over 4800 members, giving Serotta a large number of email contacts. Performance has been inundating me recently with all kinds of sales promotions. Serotta could easily use this member list to communicate to its members whatever it deems is helpful to the company. This might include special offerings, pertinent news relating to Serotta, notification of upcoming events, model changes, introduction of new models,....Serotta could simply email several thousand members and see who might be interested in hearing from Serotta in such circumstances.

Serotta should take an even more proactive communication in the forum. I always wondered why Serotta did not respond to incorrect information being given about Serotta products. It is apparent that Serotta is starting to become more active in making pertinent comments. It should do more relative to communicating about Serotta, the company. I know that forum readers really like to receive information and ideas directly from the source- Serotta.

It is Serotta's forum and Serotta should use the form of the presentation of the forum to be more beneficial to itself, by developing a better web design of the forum which generates a forum in which Serotta is seen directly and easily, not just hidden in some of the threads.

Suggesting Sandy

GregLR
05-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Always to the forum, rarely to the website these days.

Even though I visited the website a lot when contemplating buying my Legend, I didn't start visiting the forum until well after I owned it. This only happened after a close friend who is also a Serotta owner mentioned some of the issues that were being discussed. Now the addiction is such that it's my most visited site, with cyclingnews second.

jasont
05-10-2006, 01:18 AM
Ritchie,

I'm glad to read this. Being new and not a Serotta owner, I was a little hesitant to post. I was a unsure about where Serotta stood on this. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm kind of like the guy in Serpico's scenario. I came here because I was interested in a Serotta for my first road bike but ended up with a used lugged steel De Rosa, mostly because this forum gave me lugged steel envy ;-)

The key is I didn't spend Serotta-like money on the De Rosa. I decided to take it easy on my first road bike and learn a bit more about this type of cycling. If I get serious, I wouldn't hesitate to drop Serotta-like money on my second road bike.

You guys have a great forum here. Thanks.

edit: I forgot to answer the original question. I still click through the home page.

Kevin
05-10-2006, 05:50 AM

James,

Hang in there. I own four Serottas. I do not own a Sachs or a Kirk.

Kevin

William
05-10-2006, 05:51 AM
First, my default page is the Serotta Forum. I go to it several times a day. I will go from the forum to the Serotta website, but only occasionally.

I think that Ginger's ideas are excellent to help promote Serotta on its own forum. Members and viewers take a lot from the forum, and Serotta also receives some helpful information via the forum.

However, Serotta has an asset that it does not use adequately, in my opinion. There are over 4800 members, giving Serotta a large number of email contacts. Performance has been inundating me recently with all kinds of sales promotions. Serotta could easily use this member list to communicate to its members whatever it deems is helpful to the company. This might include special offerings, pertinent news relating to Serotta, notification of upcoming events, model changes, introduction of new models,....Serotta could simply email several thousand members and see who might be interested in hearing from Serotta in such circumstances.

Serotta should take an even more proactive communication in the forum. I always wondered why Serotta did not respond to incorrect information being given about Serotta products. It is apparent that Serotta is starting to become more active in making pertinent comments. It should do more relative to communicating about Serotta, the company. I know that forum readers really like to receive information and ideas directly from the source- Serotta.

It is Serotta's forum and Serotta should use the form of the presentation of the forum to be more beneficial to itself, by developing a better web design of the forum which generates a forum in which Serotta is seen directly and easily, not just hidden in some of the threads.

Suggesting Sandy

I disagree in the sense that more Serotta ad copy here would generate direct sales back to Serotta. Heck, it's even a running joke here about ridiculous bike ad copy and now I here people saying they want it? :confused: As I mentioned earlier, most people here on the forum are owners, or are well aware of Serotta's reputation. And I would be willing to bet that most folks found the forum through the website. If people are curious about the product, they will search out the website first. Not that good info can't be found here, we all know it can. I believe Serotta has a goldmine of very useful information here for marketing purposes that can be directed back into their website and magazine ads (and I think they realize this). Preaching to the choir is wasted time atmo.

One of the nice things about this forum is that it's NOT a SPAM site sending me lot's of ad junk or throwing pop-ups at you every time you click you mouse. I avoid places like that like I avoid asking more in depth questions about Sandy & Kevan's relationship, or question BD more about Bacon strips. I just won't go there. Now, a place or running banner for announcements is cool imo. Well placed but not in your face. I would like to see a little more participation from Serotta employees regarding direct questions about the products. But other then that, why mess with a good thing?

William

dbrk
05-10-2006, 06:13 AM
I disagree in the sense that more Serotta ad copy here would generate direct sales back to Serotta....[snip] why mess with a good thing? William

Please, please, Serotta. Don't change a thing. The Forum sells lots of bikes just as it is, no one here needs more ads or encouragement to buy a Serotta, and we love you for NOT putting moving banner ads, flashes, and other ANNOYING stuff in our faces. I personally promise to buy something from the on-line store every season if the Forum is largely left alone, especially any efforts to use it for more explicit marketing. atmo, yo. ml.

dbrk

saab2000
05-10-2006, 06:39 AM
If it weren't for this forum I would probably not own a Serotta. I got mine used of course, but it is the enthusiasm of the owners that convinced me.

Of course I own other bikes and always will, but I am glad I own a Serotta and it is due to this forum that I do. And that fact that it not only includes, but welcomes, other viewpoints is critical. I have no interest in a forum which includes only owners as there would be no objectivity or critical thought regarding design, purpose, etc.

Keep it as is.

Sandy
05-10-2006, 07:16 AM
I am NOT suggesting that Serotta should use the forum as an advertising platform. I simpy think that the forum is an asset that Serotta could better use. I love the forum as it exists today, but that doesn't mean that some minor changes would not be helpful to Serotta.

I mentioned Performance only to give an example of internet communication to cycling enthusiasts, certainly NOT to suggest that Serotta in any way to model its internet interaction after Performance or any other company. I DO NOT favor any type of direct advertising by Serotta or any other party on the forum, but increased participation in the threads and possible easier transition to the Serotta home page, and most importantly better communication ON the forum as to what is going on at Serotta could be helpful to both Serotta and the forum viewers. I assume that the number of hits on the forum FAR exceeds the number of hits on the Serotta home page, by a very large margin.

Communicating with forum members OFF the forum, for those that are interested, with pertinent info relative to Serotta and cycling seems most reasonable to me.

The Serotta forum is wonderful as it is, in so many ways. A little more thoughtful involvement by Serotta woudn't be a negative. Serotta's input into the forum is always well received.

Hiding under my rock,

Sandy

victoryfactory
05-10-2006, 07:34 AM
As a member and poster on this forum from the beginning,
I have one request:

Please, Serotta, don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Don't decide that the forum should be taken advantage of in a new way
that is more "beneficial" to the company.

Don't over react to any perceived loss of the Serotta message due to
people yaking about other brands.

Don't underestimate the good will and respect for your company that is
generated by this OPEN forum from a broad section of the cycling scene.

VF; Ok... that was four things.

PS: I do visit the webite every 2 weeks or so, but I'd visit more if there was
more tech info about the bikes. As someone who runs a website for a
small company, (not bike related) I fully realize how hard it is to keep
people's interest by changing and adding to the site constantly. But consider
this: ANY site gets boring after you visit 3 or 4 times. IMO the forum
serves to attract more visits than anything, for example I don't think I
would visit the Serotta site much at all if it wasn't for the forum.
FYI, I own 2 Serottas, Atlanta and Legend Ti

OldDog
05-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Forum

Occasionally the web page

This is the only forum that interests me. Intelligent conversation (wish I could participate in that!), wit and characters.

Please do not fill the forum with ads, other than a more clearer link to your web site for those who may need it.

I lust for many bikes, though these days my hours in the saddle are limited. A Legend is among the top of the list, due in part to the chatter found here.

Thanks to Serotta for the chance to be here. And thanks to all the Serottapals for making this a swell place to be. :beer:

Bud
05-10-2006, 07:47 AM
I go to the forum a few times a day and only check the Serotta web page every couple of weeks. I agree with Ginger about linking that big Serotta logo in the upper left of the forum pages.

victoryfactory
05-10-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm the one on the left...

DavidK
05-10-2006, 08:22 AM
The forum is fine, perhaps yes you need to modify the vBulletin template and at least link back to the Serotta site, but your priority if you want to make the web site produce more sales is to make the main site more intuitive.

I'd also add a couple of features: You have barriers to overcome in most new purchasers of custom bikes... (1) how to show them that the finish will be worth it, and (2) how to keep them gloriously happy during the weeks of wait whilst it's being prepared.

I would solve both by adding a new feature whereby you photograph EVERY frame at certain parts of the process.

Just leave some wireless digital cameras at key points in your factory, you're already tracking which frame is which, and photograph each frame as it passes a key part of the build and testing process.

New customers could then see how hundreds of other frames turned out. See colour schemes, get impressions of what it will look like, and appreciate and given increased confidence in the sheer quality of the custom build process.

At the same time those who have just ordered would be able to very loosely track their frame as it passed through your workshops. Especially if they were told which one it was early on!

That simple feature, achieved through lots of little contributions throughout the workshops (not requiring new staff to build and maintain part of the site) would do a lot to to turn those who doubt during the purchase process, and further confirm to those newly-parted with cash that it's all worth it. It would also give us in the forum tons to gush about as frame after beautiful frame would be created in front of our eyes.

A simple thing I reckon, just requires a little process to manage and a chunk of disk space to put the images on.

But that's what I'd do... leave the forum alone except for links back to the Serotta home page, but work on making the bond between customers and your framebuilders, painters, etc closer and personal at the same time.

Just an idea :)

Kevan
05-10-2006, 08:57 AM
your stem length is perfect, leave'r be.

Hey, if this is in anyway related to my Serotta's paint scheme, I'll have it repainted. But you do realize you guys were the ones who chose the colors....

Constructive suggestion: a return to "General Discussion" at the end of each thread would be nice.

e-RICHIE
05-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Constructive suggestion: a return to "General Discussion" at the end of each thread would be nice.

go wild, Kevan-issimo
http://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Kevan
05-10-2006, 09:09 AM
ooooooooo baby...baaa....beee!

gone
05-10-2006, 09:12 AM
It's interesting that Andrew asks a relatively simple question and judging by the responses everyone immediately assumes the worst.

To answer the question: I usually go straight to the forum. I already own two Serottas and am not currently in the market for another. I occasionally go to the web site just to see what's there.

catulle
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
The forum is fine, perhaps yes you need to modify the vBulletin template and at least link back to the Serotta site, but your priority if you want to make the web site produce more sales is to make the main site more intuitive.

I'd also add a couple of features: You have barriers to overcome in most new purchasers of custom bikes... (1) how to show them that the finish will be worth it, and (2) how to keep them gloriously happy during the weeks of wait whilst it's being prepared.

I would solve both by adding a new feature whereby you photograph EVERY frame at certain parts of the process.

Just leave some wireless digital cameras at key points in your factory, you're already tracking which frame is which, and photograph each frame as it passes a key part of the build and testing process.

New customers could then see how hundreds of other frames turned out. See colour schemes, get impressions of what it will look like, and appreciate and given increased confidence in the sheer quality of the custom build process.

At the same time those who have just ordered would be able to very loosely track their frame as it passed through your workshops. Especially if they were told which one it was early on!

That simple feature, achieved through lots of little contributions throughout the workshops (not requiring new staff to build and maintain part of the site) would do a lot to to turn those who doubt during the purchase process, and further confirm to those newly-parted with cash that it's all worth it. It would also give us in the forum tons to gush about as frame after beautiful frame would be created in front of our eyes.

A simple thing I reckon, just requires a little process to manage and a chunk of disk space to put the images on.

But that's what I'd do... leave the forum alone except for links back to the Serotta home page, but work on making the bond between customers and your framebuilders, painters, etc closer and personal at the same time.

Just an idea :)

My same feeling, atmo.

L84dinr
05-10-2006, 09:41 AM
I get to the phorum through the Home Page. I occasionally read what is what with the different frames, and frame materials; and read about forks et.al. But mostly come straight thru to the phorum.

BTW, Thanks Mr. Ben for the phorum. A cool place to "hang out" with fellow cyclists.

davids
05-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Is this forum a good marketing tool for Serotta?

My first impulse was to answer, "No." But a little thought convinces me that it had a major impact on my buying decision. Just not directly.

I discovered the old forum as I was learning about high-end bicycles. I loved the community, learned a ton about road cycling in general, and learned an awful lot about my bike-buying options. This included a lot of information about Serotta, and a lot about Serotta's competitors (whether direct - Seven, Litespeed, etc. - or indirect - RS, Kirk, Vanilla, etc.)

But I also made connections with the knowledgeable people here, most (if not all) of whom are strong Serotta boosters. By 'boosters", I don't mean salespeople. I mean experienced, knowledgeable cyclists who have well-considered opinions. And, even though my prior experiences with actual Serotta bikes had been underwhelming (and my mental image of the company was that it was staid and un-hip), my respect for these boosters, and my ever-growing respect for Serotta's confidence in hosting this community, lead me to seriously consider a Serotta when I went shopping.

This board led me to seriously and thoroughly compare high-end 'production' bikes to custom shops. It lead me to examine my assumptions about the role of materials, and to look skeptically at anyone's claims about the inherent benefits of Carbon, or Ti, or Steel. This board helped me define myself as a rider, and figure out what was important to me in a bike. It led me to work with TiDesigns at Wheelworks. This board changed my image of Serotta as a company.

Without all of that, I might never have considered buying a Serotta, might never have had the knowledge to do the evaluation. But this board did not get me to buy a Serotta. It was the ride that did that.

This forum is a very good thing - a unique and worthwhile thing - both for those of us who hang here, and for Serotta.

William
05-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Is this forum a good marketing tool for Serotta?

My first impulse was to answer, "No." But a little thought convinces me that it had a major impact on my buying decision. Just not directly.

I discovered the old forum as I was learning about high-end bicycles. I loved the community, learned a ton about road cycling in general, and learned an awful lot about my bike-buying options. This included a lot of information about Serotta, and a lot about Serotta's competitors (whether direct - Seven, Litespeed, etc. - or indirect - RS, Kirk, Vanilla, etc.)

But I also made connections with the knowledgeable people here, most (if not all) of whom are strong Serotta boosters. By 'boosters", I don't mean salespeople. I mean experienced, knowledgeable cyclists who have well-considered opinions. And, even though my prior experiences with actual Serotta bikes had been underwhelming (and my mental image of the company was that it was staid and un-hip), my respect for these boosters, and my ever-growing respect for Serotta's confidence in hosting this community, lead me to seriously consider a Serotta when I went shopping.

This board led me to seriously and thoroughly compare high-end 'production' bikes to custom shops. It lead me to examine my assumptions about the role of materials, and to look skeptically at anyone's claims about the inherent benefits of Carbon, or Ti, or Steel. This board helped me define myself as a rider, and figure out what was important to me in a bike. It led me to work with TiDesigns at Wheelworks. This board changed my image of Serotta as a company.

Without all of that, I might never have considered buying a Serotta, might never have had the knowledge to do the evaluation. But this board did not get me to buy a Serotta. It was the ride that did that.

This forum is a very good thing - a unique and worthwhile thing - both for those of us who hang here, and for Serotta.

Well said. :beer:

William

Ginger
05-10-2006, 11:10 AM
It's interesting that Andrew asks a relatively simple question and judging by the responses everyone immediately assumes the worst.

Ah see, the perhaps you remember that the forum has been removed from time to time...suddenly we get into a panic and try to find somewhere else to set up our community; everyone gets in a panic to get everyone else's emails; the phones ring off the hook in Serotta land...sort of like messing with an ant pile...just traumatic to the ants! We just want to continue moving our bits and bites like we're used to!

You know...looking at the code on the main forum page...changing that Serotta logo to link to the home page would be really easy...Even I could do it! (Ok, so messing with code like that is sort of part of my job. I'm not a web designer, but I play one at work from time to time...hey, the code has comments...amazing!)

Can you tell I really think that logo should be an easy link to the home page? It's all about making life easier for your users to access you without scrolling. To scroll is loose interest.

My other constructive suggestion is to change the "serotta fit technician's" forum into a Serotta news forum with automatic feed from the home page. Nobody's using the space and it just looks bad. (A forum like that with no posts or views says : Even *trained* Serotta fit technicians don't talk to each other...)

e-RICHIE
05-10-2006, 11:12 AM
To scroll is loose interest.

awesome, ginger-issimo atmo.

Korn Julio
05-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I have a shortcut in IE that directly takes me to the phorum.
I do check out the main website once in a while.
Did anyone notice the new Building a Meivici link?

If it weren't for this phorum, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to purchase THE ABSOLUTE LAST STOCK GEOMETRY CSi sold by Serotta..... :banana:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=13540

....and saved a lot of money on it too. :D

andy mac
05-10-2006, 11:40 AM
1. i have the forum bookmarked
2. agree with ginger about an easier and more obvious link to the homepage
3. i think the current bike photography doesn't do justice to the bikes and i would love to see tons more photos of paint and logo options
4. thanks for letting us learn, play, vent
5. i love my serotta

:beer:

tch
05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
But that's what I'd do... leave the forum alone except for links back to the Serotta home page, but work on making the bond between customers and your framebuilders, painters, etc closer and personal at the same time. Just an idea :)
I agree with most all of what has been said so far. I do believe DaveK has a good idea here. I'm beginning to get the itch again -- and it would be cool to see more bikes (to get some ideas for finish) and to get a better connection with the folks that make 'em.
Actually, some of my favorite threads are the ones where actual Serotta employees chime in. It makes the company more real and personalizes the place and the product.

ejh
05-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I check out the site about once a week and groool over the Meivici. Eric

72gmc
05-10-2006, 04:41 PM
I've already answered, Andrew, but DavidK's note is right on the mark with regard to reasons I visit the Web site. I don't know that a picture of every frame during production is reasonable, but I for one would love to be able to see each frame built up in each of its available formats. For example, Smiley's Uniscasi makes me want a Rapid Tour-ed CDA.

Grant McLean
05-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't know that a picture of every frame during production is reasonable, but I for one would love to be able to see each frame built up in each of its available formats. For example, Smiley's Uniscasi makes me want a Rapid Tour-ed CDA.

this is cool:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PHOTO_GALLERY

g

catulle
05-11-2006, 04:08 PM
this is cool:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PHOTO_GALLERY

g

Very cool. Their web site is probably one of the best sites ever, atmo. Hey, thanks for the pics.

mwos
05-11-2006, 06:38 PM
I go straight to the forum.

A question for Serotta Andrew. In the catalog on the next to last page there is a listing of the features on the website. Above the ON-LINE STORE description there is a mention of 51% "a resource center for women cyclists".

I've looked and looked for it but can't find it. Does it exist?

Kathi

davids
05-12-2006, 07:59 AM
I go straight to the forum.

A question for Serotta Andrew. In the catalog on the next to last page there is a listing of the features on the website. Above the ON-LINE STORE description there is a mention of 51% "a resource center for women cyclists".

I've looked and looked for it but can't find it. Does it exist?

Kathi
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=203818&postcount=14

mike p
05-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Serotta has a web page! Whats the address?

Mike

Serotta_Andrew
05-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Serotta has a web page! Whats the address?

Mike

www.buyaserotta.com

e-RICHIE
05-12-2006, 04:34 PM
www.buyaserotta.com
www.thatsfunnyandrew.com

David Kirk
05-12-2006, 04:50 PM
www.buyaserotta.com

You tease..........I went there with my super duper Gold card in hand ready to throw down.

Dave

Serotta_Andrew
05-12-2006, 05:27 PM
You tease..........I went there with my super duper Gold card in hand ready to throw down.

Dave

Oh sorry Dave, here try this one... Andrew@serotta.com just send the credit card number and I will make sure a Serotta item gets in the mail for you!!!

DavidK
05-19-2006, 07:23 AM
May I just add that the two pieces of JavaScript that comprise the core navigation across the top of the Serotta web site, is quite possibly the most overdone, obfuscated and least usable navigation I've ever seen. Short of implementing it in ActiveX or Flash, I can't think what else you could do to reduce it's usability further.

The anchors aren't even in href attributes, and as such, I can't even use middle-click in Firefox to create a new tabs of different pages. You've actually made it difficult for people to look at one page of the site and another, at the same time.

Further, such mindless obfuscation by a clearly deranged programmer only hampers your Google and search engine index. As no search engine spider is going to be able to figure out how to crawl that mess.

Is there something so desperately wrong with standards based HTML, simple things like A tags, and using CSS for the image rollover effect? There's absolutely no need for those JavaScript files to exist.

Sorry... rant of the day. But it bugs me everytime I visit the site, and were it not for the qualities of this forum I would not have got past the website to finally purchase a Serotta.

Cycling and web design... never the two shall meet it seems. After looking at the Colnago, De Rosa, Time, Pinarello and numerous other sites, this seems truer each day... if only Serotta could hire a HTML designer who could give the site a feel of quality and usability to rival the frames they produce!

There... I'll pop a chill pill now :)

stevep
05-19-2006, 07:41 AM
bens goal with the whole web site project was to piss you off..
worked well, huh?

e-RICHIE
05-19-2006, 07:43 AM
worked well, huh?

stevep goes for the jugular on a rainy
spring morning. and they say men have
no feelings. i love it atmo.

DavidK
05-19-2006, 08:02 AM
worked well, huh?

It's the problem with being 10 years in the IT business, some things really irritate me ;)

I'm sure the same goes for you guys when you see some cycle setups that leave you tearing your hair out in exasperation. For me it's web sites, they can be to me what nails on blackboards are to others.

e-RICHIE
05-19-2006, 08:06 AM
I'm sure the same goes for you guys when you see some cycle setups that leave you tearing your hair out in exasperation.

us? never atmo.
there is little hair.

Serotta PETE
05-19-2006, 08:26 AM
May I just add that the two pieces of JavaScript that comprise the core navigation across the top of the Serotta web site, is quite possibly the most overdone, obfuscated and least usable navigation I've ever seen. Short of implementing it in ActiveX or Flash, I can't think what else you could do to reduce it's usability further.
There... I'll pop a chill pill now :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
David, I got the pills and wine out for us to talk.. We will need to discuss, for I think that this web site is among the best and most user freindly of the sites I have been on.

There is always room for advances, but the vast number of folks using this site, demonstrate the ease of use and navigational ability of the site.

I thank the SEROTTA TEAM for developing and maintaining the FORUM and site.

Over that wine, we can discuss IT for I have more years in the industry than many on the forum have years on earth. I do not profess to being a guru on technology, but I have worked on many web projects for major corporations in delivering technical solutions to address business needs and opportunities.

Hope to see you at SMILEY's with the wine. If we do not have enough, I will "borrow" from Mr Flydhest's stash.

PETE

Technology adds the most value when it is kept simple, easy to use, and meets a business need. This site meets all those requirements.

cydewaze
05-19-2006, 08:42 AM
David, I got the pills and wine out for us to talk.. We will need to discuss, for I think that this web site is among the best and most user freindly of the sites I have been on.
A significant portion of my job involves website usability and accessibility, and I have to agree with David 100%. While not as bad as a 100% flash-driven site, it's still pretty bad. It fails both W3C and 508 validation tests, and the side nav javascript behaves inconsistently across browsers.

e-RICHIE
05-19-2006, 08:45 AM
A significant portion of my job involves website usability and accessibility, and I have to agree with David 100%. While not as bad as a 100% flash-driven site, it's still pretty bad. It fails both W3C and 508 validation tests, and the side nav javascript behaves inconsistently across browsers.

so, it's off by 3mm atmo?

Serotta PETE
05-19-2006, 08:48 AM

off 3.25 omta :no:

e-RICHIE
05-19-2006, 08:50 AM
off 3.25 omta :no:
houston we have a problem atmo

cydewaze
05-19-2006, 08:53 AM
:p

Serotta PETE
05-19-2006, 08:53 AM
houston we have a problem atmo

yes we do - - - -Mr Flydhest has hidden the red on me...Lucy is trying to help me find it, but she keeps on going to the dog treat jar. :crap:

flydhest
05-19-2006, 08:59 AM
yes we do - - - -Mr Flydhest has hidden the red on me...Lucy is trying to help me find it, but she keeps on going to the dog treat jar. :crap:

. . . ahem!!! Mr. Pete, if Lucy has a full tummy of treats today, she's sleeping on your bed tonight.

She is pretty hard to resist, though, with those big brown eyes.

(to everyone else, Pete's not a lech, Lucy is my dog.)