PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tebowmania in Philly

Elefantino
08-18-2015, 08:35 PM
I work with a lifelong Eagles fan. He is excited about Timmy. Really excited. Sanchez? Meh. Barkley? Pshaw. Bradford? Fine until he gets hurt.

Tebow? All positive. Effusive. Tons of praise.

Here we go again. Maybe.

:help:

JAllen
08-18-2015, 08:46 PM
I work with a lifelong Eagles fan. He is excited about Timmy. Really excited. Sanchez? Meh. Barkley? Pshaw. Bradford? Fine until he gets hurt.

Tebow? All positive. Effusive. Tons of praise.

Here we go again. Maybe.

:help:
If he got moved to fullback/halfback for short yardage and quick tosses or to tightend he'd be one hell of a force.

Louis
08-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Has Tebow learned how to pass the football? Two years ago he couldn't.

bcroslin
08-18-2015, 08:56 PM
As a gator fan who appreciates his role in bringing home our most recent national title all I can say is enough already. He seemed to be doing a decent job as a color commentator and it was fun watching him pop up places on tv but the dude doesn't belong on an NFL team.

Who you ought to be really excited about is nelson agholor. He played football at the HS my daughter attended and he's a great kid with a ton of talent. He's smart and has a good head on his shoulders.

kramnnim
08-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Thibaut time!

Oops, wrong guy.

pbarry
08-18-2015, 08:58 PM
If he got moved to fullback/halfback for short yardage and quick tosses or to tightend he'd be one hell of a force.

Exactly.

93legendti
08-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Sorry you're bothered so much by an NFL player who hasn't been to rehab, doesn't hit his wife, doesn't beat his child and isn't on trial for a felony.

4Rings6Stars
08-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Sorry you're bothered so much by an NFL player who hasn't been to rehab, doesn't hit his wife, doesn't beat his child and isn't on trial for a felony.

Huh?

kramnnim
08-18-2015, 09:17 PM

He's open about his religion and that means he hates poor people, black people, gay people, endangered animals and the environment. That's far worse.

FlashUNC
08-18-2015, 09:19 PM
He was apparently served by the third string Colts D in his preseason appearance. Tebow Time is over methinks when guys who are bagging groceries in a couple weeks have him running for his life.

rugbysecondrow
08-18-2015, 09:22 PM
He's open about his religion and that means he hates poor people, black people, gay people, endangered animals and the environment. That's far worse.

You forgot that he likes to trip old ladies and punch babies.

rugbysecondrow
08-18-2015, 09:24 PM
He was apparently served by the third string Colts D in his preseason appearance. Tebow Time is over methinks when guys who are bagging groceries in a couple weeks have him running for his life.

If he is good, he will play. If he is not, he won't.

The NFL isn't that complicated. If you have skills and can help the team win, you have a spot. Period. Those who don't help the team win, get booted.

I would rather hear about Tebow than Michael Sams. At least Tebow has earned some praise on the field.

bikinchris
08-18-2015, 09:29 PM

This.

As a tight end, he would be awesome. As a QB, meh. But as we all know, he refuses to consider any other position.

FlashUNC
08-18-2015, 09:43 PM

The NFL isn't that complicated. If you have skills and can help the team win, you have a spot. Period. Those who don't help the team win, get booted.

I would rather hear about Tebow than Michael Sams. At least Tebow has earned some praise on the field.

And he sucks. He's not making the team when he's 4th on the depth chart.

FlashUNC
08-18-2015, 09:43 PM
This.

As a tight end, he would be awesome. As a QB, meh. But as we all know, he refuses to consider any other position.

About that....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/miami-dolphins/0ap1000000065045/Tebow-takes-one-off-the-helmet

daker13
08-18-2015, 09:45 PM

He won't. He's been thoroughly vetted at this point. And the guy simply doesn't want to play tight end or fullback, even if (big if) he could actually contribute at these positions.

But he IS fun to watch and, while not a Christian man myself, I really respect his attitude towards service. I couldn't stand him when the hype machine was grinding his name out every couple of minutes three years ago, but I've grown fond of the lad. Frankly, I don't understand why one of the underachieving teams of the league (Jaguars, etc.) don't just pick him up to fill seats.

MattTuck
08-18-2015, 09:47 PM

I'll add just one condition. If a coach doesn't know how to fit a particular player into his scheme, even a great player can get booted. I think Tebow's troubles have as much to do with being atypical and not fitting in a prototypical 'role' as they do with his ability to play.

peanutgallery
08-18-2015, 09:53 PM
I live in pennsyltucky, the Tebow/eagles thing isn't nearly as onerous and delusional as the penn state thing. I think the locals may attempt to resurrect Joe Paterno during halftime of the first game of the season. You would think they were coming off a national championship and not a 7-6 season, particularly delusional this summer. For the record, the penn state qb might be even more over rated than tebow

No fools in the nfl, everyone ends up where they belong once the season starts. The only fool suffered is Jerry jones

As I tell all the locals, go big red

JAllen
08-18-2015, 10:06 PM

Both you guys are out of line and making an ignorant blanketed statement.

Aaron O
08-18-2015, 10:11 PM
As a guy living in Philly - I haven't met or talked to anyone who doesn't think the guy is a clown as a player. I don't know where these tebowmaniacs come from, but they're a VERY small minority.

The kid isn't an NFL player and I think this sideshow is silly. I dont think much of Kelly...and bringing in Tebow hasn't changed my mind.

saab2000
08-18-2015, 10:18 PM
I've been an NFL fan my whole life. I like Tim Tebow. He's not NFL quarterback material. End of story.

Watch the top QBs read defenses and make cannon throws into coverage in the blink of an eye. Tim Tebow can't do that. The NFL is simply too fast for him, at least as QB.

The college game is another game and he did well in the environment but is out of his league in the NFL. I'd like for him to prove me wrong but I don't think he has the talent needed to succeed in the NFL.

As to the so-called 'side show'? I think he's tired of it too. He just wants to play football. I hope he makes the team.

93legendti
08-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Both you guys are out of line and making an ignorant blanketed statement.

Tell me more...

Louis
08-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Personally, I'm waiting for him to become a spokesperson for Rapha. That would combine some many good thread topics into one. The only thing better than that would be for Tom Brady and Giselle to do it, but Rapha can't afford them.

makoti
08-18-2015, 10:41 PM

Or play worth a crap.

rides2slow
08-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Seems like a young guy, working hard and chasing his dream. Good luck to him.
His dream is extremely competitive. No harm in trying and falling short....

Louis
08-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Or play worth a crap.

Now you're bringing up irrelevant details. ;)

unterhausen
08-18-2015, 11:03 PM
As a guy living in Philly - I haven't met or talked to anyone who doesn't think the guy is a clown as a player. I don't know where these tebowmaniacs come from, but they're a VERY small minority.
only Tebowmaniac I know is a Vikings fan, but he likes Tebow because he think Tebow pisses off liberals. I keep telling him that the NFL is full of God-botherers, and Tebow is an also-ran on that score too. He is fun to watch if he has a decent line and a crowd of really talented receivers. Way I remember it, Eagles can't block

JAllen
08-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Tell me more...

Tell me more
Was it love at first sight?

Tell me more
Tell me more
Did she put up a fight?

mg2ride
08-19-2015, 05:30 AM
Tebow will win at least one more playoff game as a QB. Everyone will say it's a fluke and he may never be a season long starter.

soulspinner
08-19-2015, 06:40 AM
He is a real good dude whos attitude and approach is a plus. His coach said Timmy was throwing better. I hope he does well, whatever that is for him. At 28 he does not have an eternity to play this game.

Len J
08-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Barkley & Tebow are competing for the third string QB.

If you watched Sundays game, he and Barkley played about the same amunt of time.....Barkley was very good (albeit against second stringers)...Tebow was almost mediocre (against third stringers).

Kelly likes him, but it's hard to see him making the team as a QB based on his on field performance at camp and in the first game.

Len

rugbysecondrow
08-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Seems like a young guy, working hard and chasing his dream. Good luck to him.
His dream is extremely competitive. No harm in trying and falling short....

This is exactly right. He was a very good, winning, college QB. He is not a good NFL QB, but he is trying. This is no different than the hundreds of other not-so-good NFL players trying to get their shot at the NFL. I think he gets unfairly penalized.

Baseball, NFL and other sports try out players, they seek out talent. The MLB teams bring in has-beens and use-to-be players every year to see if they have anything left to offer. I don't get the need to pile on.

Tebow is a tremendous athlete, he was a great QB and football player, just not elite. You have to be elite to play in the NFL.

unterhausen
08-19-2015, 10:43 AM
I wish him luck. This time off from broadcasting will allow him some time to improve his wooden delivery on camera. I hope he never made fun of anyone for reading from a teleprompter, because he's miserable at it.

ptourkin
08-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Like this guy?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13369076/houston-texans-arian-foster-goes-public-not-believing-god

(Who can actually play)

FlashUNC
08-19-2015, 01:00 PM
I wish him luck. This time off from broadcasting will allow him some time to improve his wooden delivery on camera. I hope he never made fun of anyone for reading from a teleprompter, because he's miserable at it.

It matches his wooden delivery of passes.

Ralph
08-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Not a football fan, but if I was a coach/owner and could afford Tebow, I would figure out a way to use him (for something) just to fill the seats. Maybe Coaches don't like the media attention all around him, but as an owner, isn't that what I'm after. This is a business after all.

Aaron O
08-19-2015, 08:10 PM
The NFL seems to sell seats and advertising just fine without proselytizing guys who can't play.

malcolm
08-19-2015, 08:17 PM
I've been an NFL fan my whole life. I like Tim Tebow. He's not NFL quarterback material. End of story.

Watch the top QBs read defenses and make cannon throws into coverage in the blink of an eye. Tim Tebow can't do that. The NFL is simply too fast for him, at least as QB.

The college game is another game and he did well in the environment but is out of his league in the NFL. I'd like for him to prove me wrong but I don't think he has the talent needed to succeed in the NFL.

As to the so-called 'side show'? I think he's tired of it too. He just wants to play football. I hope he makes the team.

This

I suspect he is a decent guy and I really liked him as a color commentator. He clearly knows the game.
I don't think he has the goods to play QB. I watched him play a little the other day against mostly non starters. Just doesn't go through the reads quick enough. I think he was sacked like three times. Of course I could be completely wrong but I just don't think he can put the whole thing together at this level of play.

soulspinner
08-20-2015, 10:05 AM
This

I suspect he is a decent guy and I really liked him as a color commentator. He clearly knows the game.
I don't think he has the goods to play QB. I watched him play a little the other day against mostly non starters. Just doesn't go through the reads quick enough. I think he was sacked like three times. Of course I could be completely wrong but I just don't think he can put the whole thing together at this level of play.

Has to learn how and when to throw it away..

johnniecakes
08-20-2015, 11:13 AM

Spoken like a true bigot !!

Louis
08-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Spoken like a true bigot !!

He was being sarcastic.

unterhausen
08-20-2015, 02:14 PM
there have been a few Tebow expressions of religion-justified bigotry in the past, but it seems like some smarter person told him to limit that kind of thing to increase his value on the market. Really good players could get away with it, but I think a person like him could definitely limit their earning potential. I don't care if a player is religious or not, but to try to use your religion to bring the power of government down on a minority is something I am not tolerant of at all.

bikser
08-20-2015, 04:19 PM
I enjoyed watching him here in Denver. A string of improbable wins. I was at the playoff game when he through the 80 yarder to DT in OT. That was fun.

ptourkin
08-21-2015, 12:00 PM
For fans of the snark: http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2015-philadelphia-eagles-1725165274

Bostic
08-21-2015, 12:47 PM
I enjoyed watching him here in Denver. A string of improbable wins. I was at the playoff game when he through the 80 yarder to DT in OT. That was fun.

That was hilarious. I spit out nachos and soda when that play went down. Talk about the catch to snuff out the hopes of every Steelers fan.

bthornt
08-23-2015, 08:29 PM
2 for 5, 13 yards passing, missed a wide open receiver in the end zone. You wouldn't think he could make the team except for these 2 facts - Bradford is an injury magnet and Sanchez is awful.

velomonkey
08-23-2015, 10:39 PM
2 for 5, 13 yards passing, missed a wide open receiver in the end zone. You wouldn't think he could make the team except for these 2 facts - Bradford is an injury magnet and Sanchez is awful.

How can we put that in bike racing terms?

Louis
08-23-2015, 10:44 PM
How can we put that in bike racing terms?

Poor handling skills and not terribly fast.

Ray
08-24-2015, 08:55 AM
Poor handling skills and not terribly fast.

Or perhaps as Phil Liggett has said about a particular Columbian rider a few years ago, after a crash, 'he goes uphill very fast, but he doesn't know how to ride his bike'. Not sure if that's the exact quote, but I just about fell over laughing when he said it.

I watched a good chunck of the Eagles-Ravens game Saturday night - Tebow looked terrible. I don't care whether they keep him or not - if they get down to their third string QB, whether Tebow or Barkley, they're screwed regardless. But when people start yelling about how great he is, I have to cringe...

-Ray

FlashUNC
08-24-2015, 09:01 AM

How did he complete two????

Aaron O
08-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Or perhaps as Phil Liggett has said about a particular Columbian rider a few years ago, after a crash, 'he goes uphill very fast, but he doesn't know how to ride his bike'. Not sure if that's the exact quote, but I just about fell over laughing when he said it.

I watched a good chunck of the Eagles-Ravens game Saturday night - Tebow looked terrible. I don't care whether they keep him or not - if they get down to their third string QB, whether Tebow or Barkley, they're screwed regardless. But when people start yelling about how great he is, I have to cringe...

-Ray

True...but let's say Bradford goes down, sanchez is your starter and he gets hit and removed for a drive. Do you trust Barkley or Tebow? I understand that tebow MAY help on 2pt conversions and goal line plays, but ultimately your 3rd string QB may have to play a drive or two and not turn it over.

I don't want tebow in that situation. You're right, if both of them (sanchez/Bradford) are out for extended time, it doesn't matter. But there are a lot of times it's a drive, or a quarter, and you just need a guy to keep you alive.

And then there's the circus. Tebow has been quiet so far, which is nice...but why bring in a polarizing distraction who isn't adding much?

Len J
08-24-2015, 10:32 AM
True...but let's say Bradford goes down, sanchez is your starter and he gets hit and removed for a drive. Do you trust Barkley or Tebow? I understand that tebow MAY help on 2pt conversions and goal line plays, but ultimately your 3rd string QB may have to play a drive or two and not turn it over.

I don't want tebow in that situation. You're right, if both of them (sanchez/Bradford) are out for extended time, it doesn't matter. But there are a lot of times it's a drive, or a quarter, and you just need a guy to keep you alive.

And then there's the circus. Tebow has been quiet so far, which is nice...but why bring in a polarizing distraction who isn't adding much?

If Bradford goes down for an extended period, I hope they lose ever remaining game.... the worst thing you can be in the NFL is a perennial 10 win team....can't get a good draft pick and aren't good enough to win the SB.

Me, I'd play Barkley and find out what you have.... but I'd rather have a tanked season.

Tebow isn't ready for prime time.

Len

Ray
08-24-2015, 10:35 AM

True. And I'll take Barkley based on what I've seen so far this pre-season. But as bad as he was for those couple of games in his rookie year, it's hard to say that out loud...

-Ray

Ray
08-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Tebow isn't ready for prime time.

That statement seems to imply that he might be some day. I'd say Tebow simply isn't good enough to be a decent NFL QB. He's a good enough athlete that he might be able to play something else in the NFL, but he say's it's QB or bust. And I think it's bust...

-Ray

Elefantino
08-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Tebow was a great college player, maybe the best I've ever seen. His run with the Broncos was improbable and magical. I prefer to think of him that way.

Waldo
08-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Silly me, all along I thought it was Auguste Rodin mania.

rugbysecondrow
08-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Guys...third string QB, let's not take this too far. I am a Bears fan and I couldn't tell you who our third guy is.

No matter what, if your team is starting the third guy, you are in the ····, and in it deep.

I respect guys who keep trying, so I root for the guy. Like in baseball when a 30 year old utility infielder gets a shot and cracks a homer... Fun to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93legendti
08-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Yesterday the Tigers started a 39 year old, Randy Wolf, who spent all year in the minors. Good for him.

Elefantino
09-05-2015, 04:10 AM
So the Eagles trade Matt Barkley for a bag of beans and it looks like Tebow makes the roster. Have to hand it to him for sticking with the game.

Ray
09-05-2015, 05:36 AM
I was listening to some of what passes for analysis in Philly yesterday and the consensus was they'd keep Tebow because neither of them are any good as a QB, but Tebow brings a few other possibilities to the table and, at least, can be used to keep other coaches guessing. But the consensus is ALSO that the third QB generally won't be activated for games as long as the first two stay healthy, so how does THAT keep opposing coaches guessing? And the versatility doesn't get you far when what you need is an emergency QB, not a short yardage / 2-point conversion specialist. I think Bakley was so bad this pre-season he just lost his spot rather than Tebow winning it. Tebow was clearly the less terrible of the two in the last game, but he was still pretty bad except for a couple of decent throws.

I hope Tebow puts a call into God and prays that the Eagles never get down to needing a third QB this season...

-Ray

mgm777
09-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Ray -- I live in CO and am an enthusiastic Bronco fan. I don't know how he did it, but when Tim Tebow played for the Broncos, he won a lot of games for them. He had a way, at least here in Denver, of getting the team to rally around him. Somehow, he kicked, scraped, and clawed his team to several victories. Admittedly, he is a terrible passing QB, but he can run the ball. As a third string QB, I wouldn't get so worked up about having him on the roster. He appears to be a super nice fellow and just because of his fan base, he will sell some tickets. He definitely adds an interesting element to a team's QB roster. The NFL is all about entertainment and the Tim Tebow phenomenon plays right into that.

Ray
09-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Ray -- I live in CO and am an enthusiastic Bronco fan. I don't know how he did it, but when Tim Tebow played for the Broncos, he won a lot of games for them. He had a way, at least here in Denver, of getting the team to rally around him. Somehow, he kicked, scraped, and clawed his team to several victories. Admittedly, he is a terrible passing QB, but he can run the ball. As a third string QB, I wouldn't get so worked up about having him on the roster. He appears to be a super nice fellow and just because of his fan base, he will sell some tickets. He definitely adds an interesting element to a team's QB roster. The NFL is all about entertainment and the Tim Tebow phenomenon plays right into that.

I'm actually not worked up about having him on the roster - sorry if it came off that way. I just thought it was weird that the two key pieces of the rationale - that he's versatile enough to offer another option on certain plays, and that he probably won't be activated for a game unless someone is injured - were seemingly completely at odds. Either one negates the other...

And regardless of which of those guys they kept, I think the Eagles are in very deep excrement if we're down to the third QB playing much. But I don't have a problem with the guy - he definitely was better (or less bad) than Barkley during this training camp / pre-season, so he's the one they should keep if they're gonna keep a third QB. And if Chipper can figure out a way to use him in a way that actually helps the team, so much the better...

-Ray

Louis
09-05-2015, 08:47 AM
He must be a pretty stubborn guy - I think that by now most athletes in his situation would have switched to tight end, or some other offensive position that was better suited to his skills.

unterhausen
09-05-2015, 10:18 AM
maybe nobody thinks he can play one of those other positions at the NFL level. I thought he played well in Denver when I saw him in the game, but what I've heard is that people think that was just because of the supporting players. I suspect the idea is that you can get away with a qb like him during the regular season, but you aren't going to win a big game

Aaron O
09-05-2015, 11:09 AM
He won the competition (or MB lost it) fair and square. That said...I still don't understand the point in bringing in a circus like Tebow for the third spot. I'd also prefer the third QB being a young developmental guy, which Tebow isn't.

As far as this selling tickets thing...this is Philly. We don't need Tim Tebow to sell tickets.

Aaron O
09-05-2015, 11:35 AM
And he's cut.

Probably a shrewd move...doubtful anyone else will want him and if he was really needed post-injury, we could bring him in without wasting a spot.

Still...going to battle with two QBs when one of them is Sam Bradford, and you run more snaps than a 1980s michael Jackson jacket, seems quite risky. It's hard not to be excited by what we saw in pre-season, but I just don't trust this team, its coach or his system. I want to be wrong so badly.

Having Sanchez as a back up is, in my mind, a positive...but I'd sure like a young arm on the team as well.

I just hope this doesn't upset the football Gods, or any religious ones.

Len J
09-05-2015, 11:55 AM
http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-release-qb-tim-

Ray
09-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Yeah, really interesting. I didn't think either Tebow or Barkley were worth a a damn thing from my limited player evaluation skills (emphasis on limited, not on skills), but there was so much hype around the "battle" that it seemed unlikely they were gonna cut 'em both. And as much as it makes me uneasy to just go in with Bradford and Sanchez, if they both go down, it's not gonna matter whether it's Tebow, Barkely, or some bum they sign off the street to finish out the season - they'd be screwed any way you look at it.

And who knows, maybe now they'll sign some OTHER piece of detritus that some other team cuts to sort of learn the system well enough on the practice squad to serve in that emergency QB role if it comes down to it...

I guess it's back to the broadcast booth for Tebow because I don't see anyone else picking him up... If two football minds like Belicheck and Kelly can't figure out any way to wring some value out of the guy, I don't see anyone else taking a shot at him...

-Ray

Aaron O
09-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Yeah, really interesting. I didn't think either Tebow or Barkley were worth a a damn thing from my limited player evaluation skills (emphasis on limited, not on skills), but there was so much hype around the "battle" that it seemed unlikely they were gonna cut 'em both. And as much as it makes me uneasy to just go in with Bradford and Sanchez, if they both go down, it's not gonna matter whether it's Tebow, Barkely, or some bum they sign off the street to finish out the season - they'd be screwed any way you look at it.

-Ray

Yep, probably true. But there are those times where you need a 3rd QB for a quarter, or a game, and that one awful play could mean no playoffs. I'd rather have a guy with the team, who knows the system, should that happen. I also like having a young guy you're developing.

There are those times where you need a 3rd QB for one drive...should that happen I guess Sproles hands it off.

Len J
09-05-2015, 12:10 PM

And who knows, maybe now they'll sign some OTHER piece of detritus that some other team cuts to sort of learn the system well enough on the practice squad to serve in that emergency QB role if it comes down to it...

I guess it's back to the broadcast booth for Tebow because I don't see anyone else picking him up... If two football minds like Belicheck and Kelly can't figure out any way to wring some value out of the guy, I don't see anyone else taking a shot at him...

-Ray

Neither 3rd string QB was very good.... and Tebow's distraction value was a negative.

Kelly knows that if Bradford goes down for any length of time, the seasons over, so, worrying about picking up a journeyman third QB, is less important than depth elsewhere.

Every roster decision is about risk reward.

Len

Aaron O
09-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Neither 3rd string QB was very good.... and Tebow's distraction value was a negative.

Kelly knows that if Bradford goes down for any length of time, the seasons over, so, worrying about picking up a journeyman third QB, is less important than depth elsewhere.

Every roster decision is about risk reward.

Len

There's a reasonable chance you need a 3rd QB in any given season for a snap or two (Barkley did have a few drives last season). That chance goes up when you run more plays. I question the risk reward of not having a third QB on the roster.

On the other hand, I wanted no part of circus tebow.

Ray
09-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Kelly says they'll pick up a 3rd quarterback - their cuts took 'em down to 52 so they're leaving a spot open. Said Tebow made a lot of progress but wasn't good enough to be a three...

There were two or three cuts Kelly seemed to indicate were really hard to make. It didn't sound like Tebow was among them...

-Ray

Aaron O
09-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Kelly says they'll pick up a 3rd quarterback - their cuts took 'em down to 52 so they're leaving a spot open. Said Tebow made a lot of progress but wasn't good enough to be a three...

There were two or three cuts Kelly seemed to indicate were really hard to make. It didn't sound like Tebow was among them...

-Ray

I read it's Ponder. I have no opinion at all.

I am glad he's going to have a 3rd QB.

This isn't a leading question...just something I was thinking about. How many QBs have done as little as Bradford has through five years (no play offs, no pro-bowls) and turned it around with a new team?

I could only think of Steve Young, Steve Deberg and Testaverde as arguments. Only one of those guys is really franchise.

rugbysecondrow
09-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Kelly seems to be a system guy, not a franchise guy, so Bradford might work well.

This isn't a leading question...just something I was thinking about. How many QBs have done as little as Bradford has through five years (no play offs, no pro-bowls) and turned it around with a new team?

I could only think of Steve Young, Steve Deberg and Testaverde as arguments. Only one of those guys is really franchise.

Ray
09-05-2015, 01:22 PM

Kurt Warner. Earl Morral (lifetime sub). John Hadl. Frank Rich. I'm reaching way the hell back here, and I could be wrong about some of them. Some of them were subs who came up really big when the first guy went down.

I heard Ponder too, but more guys are coming up. The Jets cut Flynn, who the Eagles got a real good look at Thursday night - I thought he looked pretty good - he sure exposed Rowe's inexperience at the corner. I still think they should stick Rowe back at safety and put Thurmann at the corner, at least for this season. And then if you want to coach Rowe into a CB in the next off-season, go for it. But he looks like a real serious liability for at least the early part of the season if they're relying him to start at CB...

-Ray

Ray
09-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Kelly seems to be a system guy, not a franchise guy, so Bradford might work well.

If Bradford stays healthy, I think he works incredibly well. But that's been his weakness and just because he's made it through about a quarter and a half without injury doesn't mean a whole lot...

-Ray

Len J
09-05-2015, 01:24 PM
There's a reasonable chance you need a 3rd QB in any given season for a snap or two (Barkley did have a few drives last season). That chance goes up when you run more plays. I question the risk reward of not having a third QB on the roster.

On the other hand, I wanted no part of circus tebow.

15 of the 32 nfl teams did not have a 3rd QB on the roster last year. (Including the sb champ)

When was the last time 2QB's from the same team were hurt in a game?

And Barkley was the second string when he played. (Foles had been hurt the week before)

Len

Ray
09-05-2015, 01:36 PM
And Barkley was the second string when he played. (Foles had been hurt the week before)

He was second string that DAY, but he was third string that season. Vick went down first, then Foles went down, then when Foles came back he caught fire so Vick lost his starting job, but Barkley was basically the third guy at the start of that season and for most of that season. But man was he BAD when he had to play that season. For sure he was a rookie and he got better. I actually thought he looked better vs Indy in the first pre-season game this year than he ever had before. But not good enough for Chip...

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
09-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Kurt Warner. Earl Morral (lifetime sub). John Hadl. Frank Rich. I'm reaching way the hell back here, and I could be wrong about some of them. Some of them were subs who came up really big when the first guy went down.

I heard Ponder too, but more guys are coming up. The Jets cut Flynn, who the Eagles got a real good look at Thursday night - I thought he looked pretty good - he sure exposed Rowe's inexperience at the corner. I still think they should stick Rowe back at safety and put Thurmann at the corner, at least for this season. And then if you want to coach Rowe into a CB in the next off-season, go for it. But he looks like a real serious liability for at least the early part of the season if they're relying him to start at CB...

-Ray

Doug Flutie!

Len J
09-05-2015, 01:48 PM
He was second string that DAY, but he was third string that season. Vick went down first, then Foles went down, then when Foles came back he caught fire so Vick lost his starting job, but Barkley was basically the third guy at the start of that season and for most of that season. But man was he BAD when he had to play that season. For sure he was a rookie and he got better. I actually thought he looked better vs Indy in the first pre-season game this year than he ever had before. But not good enough for Chip...

-Ray

point is, you don't need a third string QB on the roster..... because you can either find one in the week after the first stringer is injured or bring him up from the practice squad.

When the Eagles add the third, chances are he will end up on the practice squad, unless it's someone that Kelly believes can bump Sanchez.

IMO

Len

rugbysecondrow
09-05-2015, 01:51 PM
I am a Bears fan, we have a history of using ALL our quarterbacks.

Ray
09-05-2015, 01:52 PM
point is, you don't need a third string QB on the roster..... because you can either find one in the week after the first stringer is injured or bring him up from the practice squad.

When the Eagles add the third, chances are he will end up on the practice squad, unless it's someone that Kelly believes can bump Sanchez.

Agreed - I thought you meant at ALL. The third guy is almost never on the active roster on game day unless they need him because of injury. Sometimes he's on the regular roster and sometimes on the practice squad. The risk of the practice squad is any other team can pluck them at any time. But if it's nobody that anyone else is gonna want, that's a good place to park him.

-Ray

Ray
09-05-2015, 01:55 PM
I am a Bears fan, we have a history of using ALL our quarterbacks.

Yeah, but with the possible exception of McMahon (good enough to win with a great team), they haven't had a really good one since, who, Sid Luckman? Ouch!

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
09-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Yeah, but with the possible exception of McMahon (good enough to win with a great team), they haven't had a really good one since, who, Sid Luckman? Ouch!

-Ray

Not even good, but serviceable. Cutler is a huge upgrade when compared to the prior 15 years.

I hope John Fox runs the ball a lot.

Aaron O
09-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Not even good, but serviceable. Cutler is a huge upgrade when compared to the prior 15 years.

I hope John Fox runs the ball a lot.

I always thought Jim McMahon was kind of wasted on that team and Didka didn't know how to use him actually. I never thought much of ditka as a coach to be perfectly blunt about it. A better coach should've won more superballs with that defense.

Jimmy Mac played for the Eagles during the Randall years. I remember Randall got hurt and Jimmy Mac took over. The Eagles used to always have offensive lines that looked terrible with Randall, but all of a sudden they look like they knew what they were doing when you had a quarterback who actually read a defense and game plan. The difference between Jimmy Mac and Randall was notable, even though Randall had far more ability. Jimmy Mac actually having read the playbook really made everyone around him look better and I believe he went nine and one as a starter.

Aaron O
09-05-2015, 03:58 PM
15 of the 32 nfl teams did not have a 3rd QB on the roster last year. (Including the sb champ)

When was the last time 2QB's from the same team were hurt in a game?

Len

I may not need a third quarterback if I had Brady too. Sam Bradford aint Brady.

Len J
09-05-2015, 04:21 PM
I may not need a third quarterback if I had Brady too. Sam Bradford aint Brady.

We'll see.

bikinchris
09-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Tim is a good person and a tough competitor. If he wants to play in the NFL, he will have to switch positions. I bet he would make a great tight end.

Aaron O
09-05-2015, 06:01 PM
We'll see.

Man I hope you're right.

In other news...

TEMPLE OWLS ARE EVERYWHERE!

This is a good day, tebowing is dead and Temple depressed happy valley.

Ray
09-05-2015, 07:03 PM
First Temple win over Penn State since before Pearl Harbor! 39 straight Penn State wins.

I flipped over to that game when the horrible Red Sox scored 8 quick runs on the even horrible-er Phillies. Penn State up 10-0 and marching toward more. Temple's defense pulled one out and stopped them though and then 27 STRAIGHT points! Wow.

I'm not a huge college football fan, but I'll always be for an underdog like Temple in a game like that. The just destroyed Penn State the rest of the day. Really fun to watch. Good it was in the Linc for Philly fans to get to celebrate...

-Ray

Aaron O
09-05-2015, 07:30 PM
First Temple win over Penn State since before Pearl Harbor! 39 straight Penn State wins.

I flipped over to that game when the horrible Red Sox scored 8 quick runs on the even horrible-er Phillies. Penn State up 10-0 and marching toward more. Temple's defense pulled one out and stopped them though and then 27 STRAIGHT points! Wow.

I'm not a huge college football fan, but I'll always be for an underdog like Temple in a game like that. The just destroyed Penn State the rest of the day. Really fun to watch. Good it was in the Linc for Philly fans to get to celebrate...

-Ray
I really enjoyed that...I wasn't sure I'd ever see that happen.