PDA

View Full Version : 6800 factory wheels - tires hard to mount?

phcollard
08-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Those wheels look very interesting for the price, especially now that the UK retailers are discounting them at the end of the season.

I'm almost pulling the trigger but I'm a bit concerned that many reviews say that tires are a hell to mount on those things.

I only trust Paceline advice so... Any member has them and still have their fingers? I would use std tires, not tubeless.

Thanks a lot!

zzy
08-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Tubeless compatible wheels are often difficult to mount standard clinchers to. They're pretty much the only wheels I still need levers to get the tire back on. You just have to use all the tricks to get the tire on (it's always manageable) but a park tire seater also helps too.

hida yanra
08-18-2015, 07:58 PM
I have two sets, and have used them for a ton of miles.

I haven't found that tyres are a problem to mount up at all - but I use IRC (tubeless) and Schwalbe (w tubes), both are supple and easy to mount in general.
So, I'd say no worries at all - but bear in mind that this has everything to to w/ the tyre.

Saxon
08-18-2015, 08:02 PM
I haven't had any problems mounting either the Michelin SC4's or the Conti 4000lls clincher tires. My brother did have an issue with removing a tire with a certain lever. When he switched to another type of lever he had no issues.

bobswire
08-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Those wheels look very interesting for the price, especially now that the UK retailers are discounting them at the end of the season.

I'm almost pulling the trigger but I'm a bit concerned that many reviews say that tires are a hell to mount on those things.

I only trust Paceline advice so... Any member has them and still have their fingers? I would use std tires, not tubeless.

Thanks a lot!

I had a set and just used my thumbs to mount my clinchers (as I do all my wheels). I've mounted Vittoria Pave, Rubino Pro (both 25c and 28c as well).
The only time I've have problems is cold weather when a tire is not pliable but easy enough to warm them up.

zoose
08-18-2015, 10:48 PM
I haven't had any problems at the shop. Just use my thumbs but like all tubeless rims half the battle is making sure all of the bead is in the center channel of the rim.