PDA

View Full Version : Yet another campy/shimano compatibility question

marciero
08-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Yes, I searched. It's probably there but could not find.

Which rear derailleur(s) would allow one to swap back and forth between Shimano 9-speed wheels and 11-speed wheels (either campy or shimano-I know interchangeable), using Campy 11 shifters, by simply adjusting the limit screw.

zoose
08-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking the spacing on the cassettes will be different and so the shifters will not work with the 9 speed cassette no matter the derailleur. No first hand experience though so others might have seen it work.

distanc3
08-18-2015, 02:01 PM
The spacing is different between the 8/9/10 vs 11 speed. I could imagine a derailleur working for both systems if you swapped the shifters.

Maybe the OP got it mixed up with 9/10 speed swap with Campy/Shimano drivetrain?

CampyorBust
08-18-2015, 02:02 PM
I am no expert by any means, but I am going to go with none of them.

marciero
08-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Huh. Have heard that the Campy 11 shifters "work fine" with Shimano 9 using limit screw. The reality is that I will probably just be going with the Campy 11 on this bike

palincss
08-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Read this (http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-campagnolo-ergopower-compatibility).

marciero
08-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Read this (http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-campagnolo-ergopower-compatibility).

Was thinking that the pull of the 11 levers was offset by the distance the shimano derailleur moves in such a way as to match the 9 speed spacing. Article does not address specifics here, though it does address cable routing to affect pull ratio. Am also a little dubious of some of the combinations working vs working well

oldpotatoe
08-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Yes, I searched. It's probably there but could not find.

Which rear derailleur(s) would allow one to swap back and forth between Shimano 9-speed wheels and 11-speed wheels (either campy or shimano-I know interchangeable), using Campy 11 shifters, by simply adjusting the limit screw.

None. I'd recommend using a Campagnolo 11s rear der, any one, an 11s Campagnolo cogset on the Campagnolo wheel(Chorus) and shimano 11s cogset(5800 or 6800), on the shimano wheel. Use a KMC, shimano or Campagnolo 11s chain.

CiclistiCliff
08-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Campy 11 shifter and C11 derailleur work great on any 11 speed cassette.

Campy 11 shifter and Shimano Road 8/9/10 derailluer works great on a 9 speed shimano/sram cassette. If routed the 'hubbub' method, it'll work with Shimano/sram 10 speed cassette.

Supposedly, C11 moves S11 road derailleurs well enough to run C11 shifters with S11 derailluers and cassettes. I'll be trying this in the next few days.

marciero
08-19-2015, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the insights all. I have confluence of a couple of projects-in-waiting. All my bikes are Shimano 9, and honestly I love the 7700 stuff. Shifts great. Aint nothing wrong. Dont really need the extra gears. I think it looks classy. But at some point want to try Campy. Like the shape of the hoods. It looks classy. And, well, it's campy. I've had a right Chorus 11 shifter looking for a partner, and so recently bought set of Record 11 shifters here. That, and a set of TB14 rims waiting to be built. Probably the right thing to do is build the rims on C11 hubs and go with complete Campy drive train.