PDA

View Full Version : campy G3 spoke pattern

scpknees
08-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Hello,

The Bora 35's have caught my attention, so I'm wondering about maintenance on the rear wheel.
How do you approach truing this wheel ?
For a shop with no experience on these do you think it may be an issue?
I don't see this type of spoke pattern around at all so this is a concern I have.
of course if there like my neutrons I don't have to worry about it. they stay true.

your opinions are always appreciated.

Thanks much!

thirdgenbird
08-18-2015, 02:14 PM
I don't have boras, but I've never had to true a Campagnolo G3 wheel. Dead reliable.

ceolwulf
08-18-2015, 02:28 PM
^ same but if you would have to true it, it's just a variation on triplet lacing so would be trued in the same way.

r_mutt
08-18-2015, 03:08 PM
the 2 spokes outside the middle (of the triplet) act as one, so they have to be trued together as one.

oldpotatoe
08-18-2015, 03:19 PM
the 2 spokes outside the middle (of the triplet) act as one, so they have to be trued together as one.

Yup, want to move rim right, tighten the 2 on right, loosen the one on the left. Hopefully the 'wiggle' isn't between triplets, then it's left and right side spokes On either side of the gap.

zmudshark
08-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Great advice. I've never had to true one, but now I know how.

ultraman6970
08-18-2015, 04:36 PM
G3 pattern works but it depends a lot of the level or wheel you get too. I had a pair of ventos G3 like 10 years ago and the rear felt like woobly a few times. At the time of truing them arent a nightmare but you really need to know what are you doing, my ventos never came fully trued either eventhought bought them brand new.

Sure the expensive G3s last a lot more than the low end stuff.

jemoryl
08-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Has a drive side rear spoke break on my ca. 2012 Zondas 20 miles out. Was surprised to learn that I could ride back without too much wobble. The only downside was the need to order a 4 spoke 'kit' @ $30 to get one spoke. Stuck the new spoke in and the wheel trued right up.

nrs5000
08-18-2015, 11:41 PM
I bent an outer rear spoke on my Shamals doing something dumb. I took it in to a reputable shop and they said "why don't you take the wheel with you and ride it while we order the replacement spokes. It will be fine." I didn't do that, but only because I had another wheel as a backup.

Otherwise they have been bulletproof.

vqdriver
08-19-2015, 03:42 AM
But if you bust a spoke, just replace the wheel

thirdgenbird
08-19-2015, 12:34 PM
But if you bust a spoke, just replace the wheel

Why on earth would you do that?

r_mutt
08-19-2015, 12:48 PM
fwiw, i had a set of 2008 Zonda's that were unbelievable. the front went out of true within the first few weeks of having them, then after a truing, it was dead reliable for the next 15K+ miles. with that experience, i bought a 2-way fit Shamal that have been only ok. they went south pretty early on and then a few twisted from some ham fisted mechanic insisting that he didn't twist them while truing (that's how i found out about the 2 spokes work as one). one spoke was bent then later, the bent spoke broke on a ride. after someone with good experience redid the entire rear wheel with new spokes, they have been solid ever since. i think the problem is that 80% of the mechanics don't realize that G3 truing is different than your regular wheel. when you try and explain this to them, they look at you like you are an idiot.

vqdriver
08-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Why on earth would you do that?

misspoke, it was a bent rim and busted spoke, not just a spoke.

i think i asked about it ath, but i can't find the thread now, (did they replace their server???) but i went thru this like 5 or 6 years ago with a g3 laced eurus rear. campy sold their spare spokes in little packs with their special nipples and plates. i couldn't just buy a single spoke. i forget how much the rim was, but a set of spokes, nipples, and plates was like 200. :eek:
factoring in the cost of the rim and labor i was close to the cost of a new wheel.
all that to salvage the hub. even factoring in the rim, that doesn't need to be a $500 fix.

my impression: the g3 works fine and a broken spoke didn't throw it so out of whack that i couldn't limp home. but that one experience led me to standard non-proprietary wheels. all my wheels are now 3 cross to dt hubs. little/no weight penalty, all interchangeable parts, and gads of conversions.