PDA

View Full Version : Clydesdale Cross Fork Question

samtaylor1
05-09-2006, 10:03 AM
I have been told that True Temper has stopped making the Alpha Q Clydesdale cross fork, what good options do I have for building my dream cross bike?

Thanks Sam

Smiley
05-09-2006, 10:06 AM
easton ec90 x , I believe there is no weight limit , www.eastonsports.com or www.eastonbike.com , good luck

coylifut
05-09-2006, 10:20 AM
if there's one place in competitive cycling where steel is the better material, it's cross. The aluminum Ridleys and Empellas weigh around 3.5 lbs for medium sized frames. The best steel frames weigh that or less. The non clyde Alpha Q weighs around 500 grams, the steel fork on my Sachs weighs around 630 grams. So, for 130 grams more you get a far better performing fork.

Give Mike Zanconato, Dave Kirk, or Tom Kellog a call and get their ideas on forks

Bruce K
05-09-2006, 10:35 AM
I just put a Ritchey on my Concours CX. They did not list a weight limit.

I go about 210# (hopefully less this year) by the time cross season gets here.

BK

coylifut
05-09-2006, 10:54 AM
guys, what's the weight limit got to do with it? it's what the fork does when you're on the limit that counts. go to any cross race that has a drop-in with a tight turn at the bottom and you'll see what I'm talking about. my favorite clyde, William, did and he had to choose steel after what he saw. a top quality steel fork can be constructed to handle what the big men dish out. The carbon offering is the same for 125 lb junior as it is for 225 man-beast. The carbon forks weigh about the same as steel but, they can't be tuned and they cost as much or more. There's not one advantage.

Just for the record, I sold my Alpha Q.

DfCas
05-09-2006, 10:58 AM
cross fork is rated for tandem use,so I don't think you will have a problem. You can call reynolds and ask them to be sure.

About steel-I bent a steel cross fork in aggressive riding.I did not crash it,I just rode hard thru rough terrain.In my experience,the carbon forks have been more durable. (200 lbs).

dan

coylifut
05-09-2006, 11:04 AM
About steel-I bent a steel cross fork in aggressive riding.I did not crash it,I just rode hard thru rough terrain.In my experience,the carbon forks have been more durable. (200 lbs).

dan

was it an off-the-shelf fork?

samtaylor1
05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Can ti not take the punishment?- It seems like it would be that good middle ground between steel and carbon?

coylifut
05-09-2006, 11:34 AM
there's some good ti forks out there. TiCYCLES out of Seattle makes one. It's not cheap, but I know some BIG guys who use it. I believe Sybex makes a less expensive, but non custom offering.

http://www.sibexsports.com/forks.htm

alancw3
05-09-2006, 11:42 AM
i found the profile design brc fork to be great. recommended because i am a big guy. 6'4" and 220. i was going to get a reynolds ouzo pro when the lbs talked me into the brc. i saved a lot of money also. only down side is there is more road hmmm than i have experienced with other carbon forks.

DfCas
05-09-2006, 12:45 PM
was it an off-the-shelf fork?

I think the answer is yes.It was a Waterford built 531 cross fork supplied with a new Gunnar Crosshairs..The terrain was brutal jungle cross,and it was unreasonable to expect it to survive. I have,however,used 2 carbon forks under the same conditions with no problems.1 was an Alpha Q and now I have a Reynolds.

The Waterford weighed 960 grams,both carbons are in the low 500 range.

dan

coylifut
05-09-2006, 01:45 PM
I think the answer is yes.It was a Waterford built 531 cross fork supplied with a new Gunnar Crosshairs..The terrain was brutal jungle cross,and it was unreasonable to expect it to survive. I have,however,used 2 carbon forks under the same conditions with no problems.1 was an Alpha Q and now I have a Reynolds.

The Waterford weighed 960 grams,both carbons are in the low 500 range.

dan

I had a feeling it was that fork. See ya out there

William
05-09-2006, 02:28 PM
guys, what's the weight limit got to do with it? it's what the fork does when you're on the limit that counts. go to any cross race that has a drop-in with a tight turn at the bottom and you'll see what I'm talking about. my favorite clyde, William, did and he had to choose steel after what he saw. a top quality steel fork can be constructed to handle what the big men dish out. The carbon offering is the same for 125 lb junior as it is for 225 man-beast. The carbon forks weigh about the same as steel but, they can't be tuned and they cost as much or more. There's not one advantage.

Just for the record, I sold my Alpha Q.

You bet ya. The way those things were chattering, & mushing around on that drop in at the Cross Nats, NO EFFIN WAY! I won't bet my 260 lbs aggressive riding tree trunk body on a CF fork. :no: Steel for me. Mike Zanconato be my fork maker.....frame too. ;)

William