PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering for inner city homeless/people in need?

Shortsocks
08-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Yesterday I was doing my early morning DownTown Dallas, Circuits training and such, and I noticed a really massive amount of homeless people within our inner city. I used to go to school in Downtown in the late 90's and I don't remember seeing this many people who were homeless. I rode about 20 miles yesterday morning, all around the city and I was just really taken back.

I couldn't help but feel like a prick, riding on carbon bike in full kit, while people who are my neighbors wer in such a state. It's really gotten to me. I participate in the Big Brother Program locally, as does Mrs.Shortsocks, but I still feel that is not enough. This is after all the city from which I reside so I feel like I have an obligation to not ignore this. We have decided a long time ago not to have children, so we try to participate in a Positive fashion in our locality.

So....to the point. We are both considering volunteering locally in some type of homeless shelter, drug abuse outreach, first step programs. Anything that would help people who are in need. Has anyone here done anything like that currently or recently in their local area. We were trying not to do it through a church or religious establishment but if they help we really don't mind. Any info on if anyone who helps in their local areas with stories or info on they helped would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

weisan
08-17-2015, 10:02 AM
you can ask some of the homeless where they go for free lodging/food/supplies...

If you don't want to go that route...try searching on the internet or just call around, you will be surprised by the number of org. or groups already existed, many unsung heroes who had been doing it for a while quietly in the background, no quick fix...

Good on you to ponder over these things.

MattTuck
08-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Homelessness seems like a such a multi-factorial problem to address. Economic, social, mental health, substance abuse, just to name a few. So many of these things manifest as homelessness.

It seems that helping individuals is a palliative (but very necessary) remedy -- but not sure how well it addresses the underlying causes of what we see.

I have no idea if your energy is better spent at shelters, helping folks get back on their feet, etc. or if you'd make a bigger difference by advocating (raising money, getting the word out, etc.) for policy changes to mitigate homelessness in the first place.

Reminds me of an article I read recently about why "food drives" are somewhat wasteful. Old story on similar topic here. (http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/12/food_drives_charities_need_your_money_not_your_ran dom_old_food_.html)

Shortsocks
08-17-2015, 10:26 AM
Homelessness seems like a such a multi-factorial problem to address. Economic, social, mental health, substance abuse, just to name a few. So many of these things manifest as homelessness.

It seems that helping individuals is a palliative (but very necessary) remedy -- but not sure how well it addresses the underlying causes of what we see.

I have no idea if your energy is better spent at shelters, helping folks get back on their feet, etc. or if you'd make a bigger difference by advocating (raising money, getting the word out, etc.) for policy changes to mitigate homelessness in the first place.

Reminds me of an article I read recently about why "food drives" are somewhat wasteful. Old story on similar topic here. (http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/12/food_drives_charities_need_your_money_not_your_ran dom_old_food_.html)

Hey Matt. Thanks for the article. I never thought of it, canned food drives, from the perspective of the economics of those drives.

Two really interesting points I took out of that we're:

But having 100 different people go out and pay retail prices for a few cans of green beans is extraordinarily inefficient relative to pooling those funds to buy the beans in bulk.

&

She estimates that they pay about 10 cents a pound for food that would cost you $2 per pound retail. You壇 be doing dramatically more good, in basic dollars and cents terms, by eating that tuna yourself and forking over a check for half the price of a single can of Chicken of the Sea.

Great perspective. Thanks for the article.

Being that I'm already in the Big Brother Big Sister Program, I feel that actually participating as a big brother that's the best impact I can do as an individual but I think you're on to something. I may be better suited to fundraise, or work on the backend. Maybe raising more funds to actually hire folks who are actually trained at this sort of issue. I'm out of my realm here, because you're right it's a very multifaceted issue. I could be doing more harm than good.

jmoore
08-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Call Austin Street Shelter and talk to them. I'm sure they have lots of things for you to help with.

As for charity, you just have to find something that speaks to you and do what you can. There is so much need in so many different areas that any help you can give pretty much anywhere should be appreciated. If you try and figure out what's "best" or "most needed" then you will never figure out what to do. Just pick something and do it. Don't over analyze it.

Jaq
08-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Here in LA, we have an organization called LA Public Counsel (http://www.publiccounsel.org/home), essentially a pro-bono law firm serving the homeless and low income community in all sorts of legal matters. Though their website advertises primarily for attorneys, they take volunteers of all stripes; anyone willing to learn - and then help - is welcome. If you have one in your community, you might consider volunteering. It can be rough, but hugely rewarding, too.

yngpunk
08-17-2015, 02:13 PM
As for charity, you just have to find something that speaks to you and do what you can. There is so much need in so many different areas that any help you can give pretty much anywhere should be appreciated. If you try and figure out what's "best" or "most needed" then you will never figure out what to do. Just pick something and do it. Don't over analyze it.

"...find something that speaks to you..." is key. This will help with your level of commitment and interest and in turn make you feel even better.

For me, given my interest in food, it was helping out here:

http://firstslice.org/

Shortsocks
08-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Call Austin Street Shelter and talk to them. I'm sure they have lots of things for you to help with.

Yeap, just shot them a call. Made an appointment with them to get a tour of their operations. Good call. Near to us and it's pretty convenient for us to get there by car/bike. Seemed like super nice folks. I'll see what we get out of that in ways of direction. Thanks Jmoore.

cnighbor1
08-17-2015, 03:34 PM
homeless/people in need?
and brain trauma
I read a report were about 60% of homeless had suffered brain trauma If that is correct is any were near correct how would you treat these people

cnighbor1
08-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Than there is the look for work standing along the curb group
One day I drove back from Oakland CA along a busy Oakland street where people stand to look for work from people needing day laborers
It was at a time they were protesting something
I never saw so many day laborers in about 2 to 3 miles stretch in the Bay area
between the homeless and this group its a wonder that USA is still in business

Mikej
08-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Than there is the look for work standing along the curb group
One day I drove back from Oakland CA along a busy Oakland street where people stand to look for work from people needing day laborers
It was at a time they were protesting something
I never saw so many day laborers in about 2 to 3 miles stretch in the Bay area
between the homeless and this group its a wonder that USA is still in business

Cuz we can borrow our way out of anything

Louis
08-17-2015, 03:47 PM
homeless/people in need?
and brain trauma
I read a report were about 60% of homeless had suffered brain trauma If that is correct is any were near correct how would you treat these people

+1

I don't know specifically about brain trauma, but I have heard that a huge % of the homeless do have some sort psychological problem. I would think that the single biggest thing one could do to help much of the homeless population is to get them long-term psychiatric care.

Shortsocks
08-17-2015, 03:56 PM
+1

I don't know specifically about brain trauma, but I have heard that a huge % of the homeless do have some sort psychological problem. I would think that the single biggest thing one could do to help much of the homeless population is to get them long-term psychiatric care.

It seems that the Shelter I'm going to with the Mrs, has an M.D psychiatric as their Vice President. He seems to be A professor of psychiatric studies at UT southwestern psychiatric studies at UT Southwestern medical. I wonder if that has anything to do with psychological illness amoung the homeless?

I'll definitely ask while I'm there next week.

rnhood
08-17-2015, 04:00 PM
+1

Probably true. As a country we used to have institutions located in many areas (towns, counties, etc). Through the years though, these have been weened away due to costs, poor and inefficient oversight, and legal issues. They have been merged in with other health care type operations - hospitals or otherwise. Today it seems they want you out of the hospital the same day you go in. But I agree, mostly these people need psychiatric care and rehab. Allowing them to panhandle from the local curb, and lay around the city parks is not in the best interest of healing and recovery.

Louis
08-17-2015, 04:03 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_and_mental_health

Homelessness and mental health
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a study in Western societies, homeless people have a higher prevalence of mental illness when compared to the general population. They also are more likely to be alcoholics and suffer from drug dependency.[1] It is estimated that 20-25% of homeless people, compared with 6% of the non-homeless, have severe mental illness.[2] Others estimate that up to one-third of the homeless suffer from mental illness.[3] Studies have found that there is a correlation between homelessness and incarceration. Those with mental illness or substance abuse problems were found to be incarcerated at a higher frequency than the general population.[4] Fischer and Breakey have identified the chronically mentally ill as one of the four main subtypes of homeless persons; the others being the street people, chronic alcoholics, and the situationally distressed.[5]

jmoore
08-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Yeap, just shot them a call. Made an appointment with them to get a tour of their operations. Good call. Near to us and it's pretty convenient for us to get there by car/bike. Seemed like super nice folks. I'll see what we get out of that in ways of direction. Thanks Jmoore.

You are good man Ali. I'm sure they will be happy for the help.

dustyrider
08-17-2015, 08:33 PM
I remember reading this article about homelessness and a city's attempt to help its homeless by investing in housing/employment/clothing&food distribution/access to health care. Particularly mental health facilities.
Essentially the cost analysis was staggeringly obvious. You can house the homeless far cheaper than a few emergency room visits end up costing. This was before obamacare was even a thing. I'll try to dig this one up...a very good read. I believe salt lake may have tried a similar approach recently, but I haven't followed up to know details.

Million-Dollar Murray (http://gladwell.com/million-dollar-murray/)

Here in the temperate west the homeless are a plenty. I'm all about being proactive, rather than reactive, so I teach high school. I commit to countless hours of volunteer work as part of my job. I don't count them cause they're really my reward! I'm not talking about the off the clock work I do just to make the on the clock work I do meaningful. I'm talking about wet Kleenex and heart wrenching tales, a truly safe place for an hour or two before you "have" to go home, bicycle rabbit for the cross country runners, chaperone for a school dances, and yeah I got slacks you can have for prom/graduation. I know you don't get a warm meal at home, so once you finish your free lunch I got bags of food for you. Please don't eat the ramen raw! The list is really endless...

Before my job became my life for 9 months of the year, I used to work in a youth homeless shelter and residential youth treatment facility(department of youth corrections transitional living program).

The way I see it 12-18 year olds are the future, and I want to shape that future in some way.

Cheers to you and yours. I'm always surprised by how selfish true altruism makes me feel. When someone thanks me for my generosity, they don't realize how much I truly enjoyed giving it.

ptourkin
08-18-2015, 09:51 AM
I remember reading this article about homelessness and a city's attempt to help its homeless by investing in housing/employment/clothing&food distribution/access to health care. Particularly mental health facilities.
Essentially the cost analysis was staggeringly obvious. You can house the homeless far cheaper than a few emergency room visits end up costing. This was before obamacare was even a thing. I'll try to dig this one up...a very good read. I believe salt lake may have tried a similar approach recently, but I haven't followed up to know details.

Million-Dollar Murray (http://gladwell.com/million-dollar-murray/)

Here in the temperate west the homeless are a plenty. I'm all about being proactive, rather than reactive, so I teach high school. I commit to countless hours of volunteer work as part of my job. I don't count them cause they're really my reward! I'm not talking about the off the clock work I do just to make the on the clock work I do meaningful. I'm talking about wet Kleenex and heart wrenching tales, a truly safe place for an hour or two before you "have" to go home, bicycle rabbit for the cross country runners, chaperone for a school dances, and yeah I got slacks you can have for prom/graduation. I know you don't get a warm meal at home, so once you finish your free lunch I got bags of food for you. Please don't eat the ramen raw! The list is really endless...

Before my job became my life for 9 months of the year, I used to work in a youth homeless shelter and residential youth treatment facility(department of youth corrections transitional living program).

The way I see it 12-18 year olds are the future, and I want to shape that future in some way.

Cheers to you and yours. I'm always surprised by how selfish true altruism makes me feel. When someone thanks me for my generosity, they don't realize how much I truly enjoyed giving it.

The cities that have embraced this approach with veterans have seen a lot of success. Housing is a solution to homelessness.

http://www.endhomelessness.org/pages/housing_first