PDA

View Full Version : Boardman on how to overtake cyclists

JER3
08-17-2015, 09:28 AM
How to overtake cyclists the video all drivers should watch

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2015/aug/11/how-to-overtake-cyclists-the-video-all-drivers-should-watch

thwart
08-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Nice video.

But... Chris should really be wearing his helmet...

I'll never be without mine, safe to say (pun intended)...

Jgrooms
08-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Very good. I take it UK has a national standard code book?

zoose
08-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks for posting. Hopefully this gets spread around elsewhere.

professerr
08-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I especially liked the intro: "People on bikes are not just obstacles to be avoided, they are flesh and blood, moms and dad, brothers and sisters."

I would be great to get a famous athlete here to do a spot like this.

Idris Icabod
08-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Very good. I take it UK has a national standard code book?

I grew up in the UK and remember that we had a bicycle safety class at primary school (so sometime between age 7-11), it was taught for a morning a week for a few weeks. Some fellow came out and taught us how to signal properly, where in the lane to be, the highway code etc. Wasn't a classroom thing, we all brought our bikes and went out on the public road.

The highway code still exists and has a section on rules for cyclists:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highway-code

I found the driving test that I took in the UK to be much more stringent than the one I took in the US.

Vinci
08-17-2015, 12:39 PM
I applaud the effort to make people aware of how to pass safely and that there are laws governing this, I don't think it much matters to the motorists that this is actually directed at.

We already have laws in many (most? all?) states that dictate how much space a cyclist should be given on a roadway and when they should/shouldn't be overtaken. Most motorists, in my experience, don't respect these laws because they are aware of them but because it's common sense. The dangerous minority of motorists ignore these laws not because they don't know of them but because they don't care and there is zero chance of getting caught.

Things will change in this regard when there are consequences enforced. Take a couple cops off of speed traps for a day or two out of the week and have them patrol common cycling routes. Issue enough citations and maybe motorists that don't care of the about the life of a cyclist will at least care about the money their actions cost them.