PDA

View Full Version : Stupid bike food question

Tickdoc
08-17-2015, 08:16 AM
So, something I've been wondering as I have a habit of bringing bars/gels on rides, but then stopping for water/drinks and a payday mid-ride.

I end up at home with a packet of scratch single, a gel, a bar, etc uneaten but it just finished a couple of hours in a sweaty back pocket.

Is it safe to eat these things after a ride or two or three if the packet still sealed?

I got sick on the bike once last year out in the middle of nowhere and wondered if that was why. ( not a pleasant experience)

Just curious if I'm the only one that does this, and what others do if I am not.

makoti
08-17-2015, 08:37 AM
So, something I've been wondering as I have a habit of bringing bars/gels on rides, but then stopping for water/drinks and a payday mid-ride.

I end up at home with a packet of scratch single, a gel, a bar, etc uneaten but it just finished a couple of hours in a sweaty back pocket.

Is it safe to eat these things after a ride or two or three if the packet still sealed?

I got sick on the bike once last year out in the middle of nowhere and wondered if that was why. ( not a pleasant experience)

Just curious if I'm the only one that does this, and what others do if I am not.

As hard as those damn things are to open, I can't imagine any bad stuff can get in there if it stays sealed. I eat half-eaten powerbars the next ride all the time without issue. They got opened, spent half a ride in my pocket, sat in the box overnight or two, and another half a ride open in my pocket just folded over in the mylar. As tasty as ever.

rzthomas
08-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Still sealed? I'm sure they're fine.

How about an anecdote:

I once ate a three-year expired Clif Bar that I had sitting in the bottom of my Camelbak because I was desperate. It must have been there through countless rides, trips in a hot car, etc. I had no problems.

jmoore
08-17-2015, 11:51 AM
The back of a jersey pocket for a few hours is nothing compared to it being being boxed up and put in a shipping container and truck and then stored in a warehouse somewhere until it's finally put on a shelf and sold.

zoose
08-17-2015, 12:02 PM
I agree that sealed you shouldn't worry. If it's been opened just use your best judgement. I would eat things like shotbloks a couple days after opening because they are basically just sugar and won't really go bad and cause any digestion problems for me. If it was anything home made or something with more fresh ingredients and less sugars I might think twice or just eat it at the end of the ride.

moose8
08-17-2015, 12:31 PM
I eat expired bike food all the time that has been on many trips with me. So far no problems. I figure all that stuff is so fake anyway it can't really go bad. I think you'll be fine if it's not opened.

Tickdoc
08-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I think I just ate a bad bar once trying out something new from the feed. (Nothing against them). wish I remember what kind it was. I know the packaging was amateurish at best which should've been a clue.

I made my own bars for a while and they were great, but time consuming to make : Oats, cherries, chia, dark chocolate, and a little coffee thrown in for kicks.q

I also like Kate's bars, but they are hard to find here.

malcolm
08-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I've eaten cliff and various bars that have been in my camel back expired for over a year. Not sure how smart that is but I'm still here and still doing it.

Bob Ross
08-17-2015, 04:10 PM

It better be; I've often gone an entire winter dragging the same PowerBar around the county! Four months later it finally gets eaten...still tastes the same, and I'm not dead yet.