PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Help

bikenut
08-17-2015, 06:51 AM
I am riding a Romin Evo 155. I need the width it provides but have trouble with the transition area chafing my inner thighs. Are there any saddles that offer similar width with a less gradual transition are for more clearance?

Gummee
08-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Take a look at any of the women's saddles. They're usually shaped like you want em to be.

Bontrager Ajna comes to mind first as a higher performance saddle that doesn't scream 'girly.'

M

uber
08-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Selle Ialia makes both a Flite and an SLR that tapers more than their traditional saddles. I have gone from an SLR to try a Soecialized Power. Although wider than my SLR, there is less chafing. SMP saddles might also be a solution but are very dependent on set up. Good luck.

CampyorBust
08-17-2015, 04:57 PM
+1 on giving the SMP saddles a try, they can cost a pretty penny new but good deals can be found used. People either love 'em or hate 'em so finding one used in great condition is not too hard. If you like your width at 155mm try the Pro at 149mm or the Avant at154mm.

BdaGhisallo
08-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Try the Spec Power. The shorter nose is great if you have thigh clearance issues with the Romin or Romin EVO.

kgreene10
08-17-2015, 06:25 PM
I have the exact same difficulty and ended up with a narrower Romin Evo that I now realize has caused me trouble. Recently, I tried Bontrager and Selle Italia. Both have a quicker transition and didn't rub. I'm currently testing the Superflow.

kgreene10
08-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Try the Spec Power. The shorter nose is great if you have thigh clearance issues with the Romin or Romin EVO.

I thought it would work for me but same chafing as with the Romin Evo.

dpk501
08-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Have you checked your seat post head. It could be exposed and chausing the chafing

I am riding a Romin Evo 155. I need the width it provides but have trouble with the transition area chafing my inner thighs. Are there any saddles that offer similar width with a less gradual transition are for more clearance?

93legendti
08-17-2015, 08:19 PM

Are you feeling discomfort in your groin? If so applying Body Glide before rides solved my chafing problems.

ultraman6970
08-17-2015, 09:34 PM
hmm... one of the thinnest ones i know in the legs areas is the zoncolan, but no clue if those come with a cut out.

bikenut
08-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Are you feeling discomfort in your groin? If so applying Body Glide before rides solved my chafing problems.

My left side pubic bone actually presses into the saddle leaving a dent in the padding. I am presently working on eliminating any leg length or pelvic asymmetry issues.

eippo1
08-18-2015, 08:45 AM
My left side pubic bone actually presses into the saddle leaving a dent in the padding. I am presently working on eliminating any leg length or pelvic asymmetry issues.

I actually have the same issue with the Romin on the right side. Actually messed up the nerve there and have the same issues with flare. Found that the SLR Superflow L was exactly what I needed.

93legendti
08-18-2015, 11:49 AM

Wow. That sounds potentially painful...I wonder if the saddle is level side to side...good luck!

Lewis Moon
08-18-2015, 12:11 PM
I've had the same problem off and on. I've found that my position on the saddle, ie: hip tilt, saddle height, fore/aft, were the real issues.
Ever watch a video of Eddy adjusting his saddle? It's that important.

jmal
08-18-2015, 02:18 PM
I have found that just about any saddle with a cutout causes problems for me. It doesn't seem to matter how narrow or wide the saddle or the cutout is. I just do not like the edges of the cutouts. I find more classic shapes like an Aliante or Regal work better. I would be hesitant to think that because one side of a saddle or cutout causes pain that there is a biomechanical issue that needs to be resolved. It is more likely just a bad saddle for the individual. I think there are a lot of people diagnosing biomechanical problems that do not have any basis for doing so. I can't remember if it was here or across the hall, but there was a recent thread that discussed the difficulty of measuring chainstay length. If it is that hard to determine CS length, then measuring leg length and other areas as they relate to biomechanics is nearly impossible.

yashcha
08-18-2015, 02:50 PM
Went from romin to power saddle. Romin had so much chafing, leg numbness, and I found that the nose of the saddle was always catching my bib fabric. The power is a wonderful saddle.

zoose
08-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Went from romin to power saddle. Romin had so much chafing, leg numbness, and I found that the nose of the saddle was always catching my bib fabric. The power is a wonderful saddle.

I keep hearing this and really need to try one. Too bad all the shops around me are sold out of the Power :crap:

cdn_bacon
08-19-2015, 08:27 AM
I had the same problem. love the feel when I sat down on the Romin, but ended up too painful. Switched to a Toupe 155 and problems solved ( for me at least)