PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Portland, OR Planning...

buldogge
08-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Hey Guys...I know there are a couple good threads over the last few years with some great Portland info, and I have bookmarked them all...but...I'm wondering if I can get some input on my theoretical "itinerary"?

We've been wanting to check out Portland for awhile, and we have a couple more weeks before the 9yo heads back to school...so...we made a last minute decision to head out there.

Thinking we'll fly into Portland next Thurs., and stay for 2-3 nights. So, sights/sounds/smells/eats in Portland (with 9yo in tow). Get a feel for the neighborhoods/local taste.

I'd like to head to the coast, ending up south in The Redwoods (Boardman?...none of us have seen Redwoods before) and then heading east to Crater Lake (travel on I-5 to save time, is fine, between destinations, BTW).

Perhaps then back thru Bend and stopping at Mt. Hood and/or Oneonta Gorge/Falls (worth it?) before returning to Portland.

Heading home on Thursday or Friday.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

JAllen
08-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Forget voodoo donuts. Go to Pip's original. Lardo for a great sandwich. Heart coffee. Western bike works for a neat shop with a sweet little café. Original hotcake house for a greasy spoon experience. OMSI especially for the kiddo. I'll have more for you. This was just the instant thoughts that popped in mind

joe.e
08-17-2015, 12:08 AM
I second skipping voodoo. totally not worth the wait. If you want doughnuts, head on over to blue star, or, better yet, go to rocking frog and get doughnuts that are freshly made just for you (and legit coffee as well). like, they take your order, turn around, and plop em in the oil.

if you want pizza, you cant go wrong with Apizza Scholls. Their truffle oil pizza is super good, and their prices are reasonable.

as far as places, you owe it to yourself (if you like books at all) to head over to powells. any weird, obscure topic you can think of has its own section of books. The trade in room in next adventure is also worth checking out if you do any sort of outdoors'y stuff (their prices are killer).

PacNW2Ford
08-17-2015, 01:05 AM
The northernmost Redwoods are about eight miles north of the California border, so plan a couple days to see that part of the state. It's a six-hour drive from Portland via I-5, much longer if you take the coastal route US101. I-5 is always about an hour inland from the coast, so it's either quicker (I-5) or scenic (US101). Boardman is in north central OR and is only known for being home to a coal-fired powerplant. Apologies to any forum member who lives there.

If you're out this coming weekend, check out Sunday Parkways, an event where they close several miles of city streets for bikes and peds. Universal Cycles would be a good place to people/bike watch on the route.

herb5998
08-17-2015, 01:09 AM
Third recommending not to do Voodoo. Back in the day it was perfect after a night on the town, now it's turned into a bigger attraction the most of the Saturday market. Forest Park is great. 2nd the OMSI recommendation, it's great, esp for kids. Timberline at mount hood is cool in summer, and Bend is great this time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buldogge
08-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the responses so far guys.

a) I will not wait in any lines at Voodoo.

b) I will definitely check out the 2nd hand outdoor gear at Next Adventure...Like I need anymore gear...but...how can you not have a look!

c) I was referring to Samuel H. Boardman State Park, down south, for the redwoods.

Keep the neighborhood food recommendations coming please!

Where would you recommend making the transition from I-5 to 101, for the best combination of time-saving and scenic fulfillment?!

TA
-Mark

katematt
08-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Velocult is a cool shop/museum/Bar etc etc.

FWIW I rented a bike and road from Portland to the coast while the family drove and we met there. Wasn't easy but worth it. 80 or so miles.

William
08-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the responses so far guys.

a) I will not wait in any lines at Voodoo.

b) I will definitely check out the 2nd hand outdoor gear at Next Adventure...Like I need anymore gear...but...how can you not have a look!

c) I was referring to Samuel H. Boardman State Park, down south, for the redwoods.

Keep the neighborhood food recommendations coming please!

Where would you recommend making the transition from I-5 to 101, for the best combination of time-saving and scenic fulfillment?!

TA
-Mark

I always liked cutting over from I-5 through Corvallis on Hwy 20 to get to the coast at Newport. Seaside, Cannon beach, and Haystack Rock are nice but I always felt a bit more touristy. From just North of Newport south, the coast is more scenic imo.

Have a fun and safe trip!

William

buldogge
08-17-2015, 09:53 AM
^^^I'm not sure if cutting over that far north will add too much time...I'm sure it would be lovely driving 101...but...I wonder if it will be "too much".

Looking at a map...once you get south...looks like you can only cut over at Green (Hwy 42) or at Grant's Pass (199), given the Rogue River NF is "in the way". If you go 199 you are going into CA and thru Jebediah Smith SP (also redwoods). Either way...it's a long way with convoluted access.

Oregon Dunes worth a look?

Also, I won't have a bike with me and probably, frankly, very little time for "bike stuff", with the family in tow.

Any "must do hikes" info appreciated though!

-Mark

yummygooey
08-17-2015, 10:00 AM
i just visited Portland for a weekend not too long ago - here are some of the things i enjoyed:

Multnomah Whiskey Library (maybe not with a 9yo, though)
Velo Cult
Screen Door for brunch

fuzzalow
08-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Forget voodoo donuts.

I second skipping voodoo.

Third recommending not to do Voodoo.

HaHa! I'd not dispute the judgement and recommendation of these gentlemen-in-the-know about Voodoo. But I'd suggest an open mind in visiting it not as an experience in gastronomy but as an experience in travel in visiting a city. Every city has its tourist cliches and for ones as long standing as Voodoo, it might be worth a visit not because it is good but because it is there. It is all in the approach to traveling, to experience both the good and less good (bad). Being jaded can be so dull.

For example I can't think of one place in NYC that is a must stop tourist destination other than maybe the Empire State Building observation deck. But on a first visit I don't think it's bad to do all the cliche things to do in any first visit to a new place. Revel in your inner tourism, there will be other opportunities to brandish your urbane sophistication in later trips to come. Because the key is not in the fact that you did something slightly goofy - the key thing is the fact that you know there is something else and lots more to know and see the next time you visit.

Enjoy your trip. Release your inner 9-year old in what must be the best of company!

bking
08-17-2015, 10:46 AM
if i only had time to drive the whole coast, or a small part and get up to crater lake, i'd take the coast. the whole of the oregon coast is second to none, and much more for a nine year old to find fascinating.

should you dive to the coast early out of portland and like planes, amazing place in mcminnville--of all places, evergreen museum.

herb5998
08-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Agreed, the Oregon coast is amazing, especially this time of year

katematt
08-17-2015, 11:04 AM
As for hikes, Silver Falls is very cool and the hike is the perfect balance of not too long and cool for a 9yr old, and the falls great. Not sure about water level this time of year.

herb5998
08-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Columbia River Gorge historic drive is also great, with good weather, it can be miserable in rain/snow

tbcpn
08-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Travel east of the Cascades may be a bit troublesome in some areas due to wildfires: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/08/oregon_highway_closures_caused.html#incart_big-photo

William
08-17-2015, 12:40 PM
More good info in this thread as well...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=147092&highlight=Oregon

William

William
08-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Your OP said 2-3 nights. Is that the time you will spend just in Portland, or your total time in Oregon? If it is total time, that won't be much in a State that big and diverse.

^^^I'm not sure if cutting over that far north will add too much time...I'm sure it would be lovely driving 101...but...I wonder if it will be "too much".

Looking at a map...once you get south...looks like you can only cut over at Green (Hwy 42) or at Grant's Pass (199), given the Rogue River NF is "in the way". If you go 199 you are going into CA and thru Jebediah Smith SP (also redwoods). Either way...it's a long way with convoluted access.

Oregon Dunes worth a look?

Also, I won't have a bike with me and probably, frankly, very little time for "bike stuff", with the family in tow.

Any "must do hikes" info appreciated though!

-Mark

Southern routes off of I-5 are limited.

Hwy 38 South of Cottage grove will bring you out at the Oregon Dunes National Rec area near Reedsport.

Then there is 42 just south of Roseburg that will bring you out near Bandon, Or.

South of that is indeed 199 from Grants pass that will bring you out near Crescent City Ca. Then it will be 101 N. to get back into Oregon?ut you can see some Redwoods in that area. If you do make it to the Southern Coast, check out part of the Coast Trail hike at Cape Sebastian. It is not a killer hike, but a good one with great scenery....

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1532524&postcount=21

William

buldogge
08-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Hey guys...Thanx again.

We'll be 2-3 nights in PDX.

Had to change plans slightly...flying in this Friday, arriving early afternoon.

We fly out at 3:15 on Friday 8/28.

Gonna grab a car on Sun. or Mon. morning...head to the coast...and then ???

Probably a little cheesy...but...has anyone stayed in one of those treehouse places down south?

Definitely need to spend some time on the coast...definitely need to see the redwoods.

I will look at the forest fire situation and check out Uncle William's Coast Trail hike, as well.

-Mark

stackie
08-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Salt and Straw for ice cream. Amazing non traditional flavors.

Bollywood theatre for Indian

Pok pok for Thai.

Por Que No for tacos.

I hit all these on my trip in February.

Could take your 9 yo to any of these.

Jon

buldogge
08-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Thanx...We will be hitting Bollywood for sure...love the whole Indian streetfood slant.

Is Pok Pok an unnecessary "wait in line" sorta place? We eat Thai a lot, so if I miss out, it's not the end of the world.

Salt and Straw looks interesting...will definitely grab a scoop there.

My son will eat pretty much anywhere, or he'll simply tag along and try a "bite" and eat something else afterwards, if necessary.

-Mark

Salt and Straw for ice cream. Amazing non traditional flavors.

Bollywood theatre for Indian

Pok pok for Thai.

Por Que No for tacos.

I hit all these on my trip in February.

Could take your 9 yo to any of these.

Jon

buldogge
08-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Any PDX recommendations for Ramen?

Any PDX Turkish street food joints that serve lahmacun?

TIA
-Mark

joe.e
08-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Forgot to mention cheese and crack. Its just about the most portland restaurant I've been to, but man is the food tasty (and so nicely arranged).

for places, Multnomah Falls is a pretty neat place, and, for the life of me I can't remember the name, but on the way is this cool look out point that is super windy (and damn cold), but offers amazing views.

tbcpn
08-17-2015, 06:37 PM
for the life of me I can't remember the name, but on the way is this cool look out point that is super windy (and damn cold), but offers amazing views.

Crown Point, perhaps? http://www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=108

Cameron
08-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Is Pok Pok an unnecessary "wait in line" sorta place? We eat Thai a lot, so if I miss out, it's not the end of the world.

Yeah, depending on when you go it's a wait in line place... however it's likely the one place I'll tell people to wait for. Just go at as much of an "off-time" as you can and it's not that bad a wait in my experience. Even if you eat a lot of Thai food you've likely never had Thai food like Pok Pok. And don't ask about Pad Thai there ;)

...for the life of me I can't remember the name, but on the way is this cool look out point that is super windy (and damn cold), but offers amazing views.

Well, out there the common place to stop for views between Portland and Multnomah falls is the Vista House: http://vistahouse.com/. It's popular (like Multnomah Falls) but totally worth it (also like Multnomah Falls!) However, I actually really like Portland Women's Forum better for the views, plus it gives you a view of the Vista House. You could even stop there on your way to the Vista House: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=119.

On that note... if I were taking someone from out of town on a quick highlights of the Columbia River Gorge tour here: the route I'd take: https://goo.gl/maps/ahEjI. That'll give you great places to see on both sides of the river. Incredible views from Portland Women's Forum and Vista House. Nice hike and huge waterfall at Multnomah Falls. Then more absolutely amazing views crossing the Bridge of the Gods into Washington. The drive back towards Portland on the Washington side is really really nice. Windy-er, up higher in elevation, etc. The Cape Horn lookout is the best view of the Gorge anywhere in my opinion. Then if you're still up for more you can always hit the Fort Vancouver Historic Site in Vancouver right at the I-5 bridge coming back into Portland.

In Portland the list I'd say is a lot of other stuff people have said: Powell's Books, Japanese Garden up in Washington Park above downtown, OMSI, Eastbank Esplanade/Waterfront Park walking/biking loop, etc.

Also, there really are lots of cool McMenamins facilities here that are really great. Kid friendly too. Edgefield is great and so is Kennedy School. http://www.mcmenamins.com/

joe.e
08-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Vista house is the one! Totally worth the trip.

Yeah, depending on when you go it's a wait in line place... however it's likely the one place I'll tell people to wait for. Just go at as much of an "off-time" as you can and it's not that bad a wait in my experience. Even if you eat a lot of Thai food you've likely never had Thai food like Pok Pok. And don't ask about Pad Thai there ;)

Well, out there the common place to stop for views between Portland and Multnomah falls is the Vista House: http://vistahouse.com/. It's popular (like Multnomah Falls) but totally worth it (also like Multnomah Falls!) However, I actually really like Portland Women's Forum better for the views, plus it gives you a view of the Vista House. You could even stop there on your way to the Vista House: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=119.

On that note... if I were taking someone from out of town on a quick highlights of the Columbia River Gorge tour here: the route I'd take: https://goo.gl/maps/ahEjI. That'll give you great places to see on both sides of the river. Incredible views from Portland Women's Forum and Vista House. Nice hike and huge waterfall at Multnomah Falls. Then more absolutely amazing views crossing the Bridge of the Gods into Washington. The drive back towards Portland on the Washington side is really really nice. Windy-er, up higher in elevation, etc. The Cape Horn lookout is the best view of the Gorge anywhere in my opinion. Then if you're still up for more you can always hit the Fort Vancouver Historic Site in Vancouver right at the I-5 bridge coming back into Portland.

In Portland the list I'd say is a lot of other stuff people have said: Powell's Books, Japanese Garden up in Washington Park above downtown, OMSI, Eastbank Esplanade/Waterfront Park walking/biking loop, etc.

Also, there really are lots of cool McMenamins facilities here that are really great. Kid friendly too. Edgefield is great and so is Kennedy School. http://www.mcmenamins.com/

ORMojo
08-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Any PDX recommendations for Ramen?
-Mark

Sen Yai (http://www.pokpoksenyai.com/home/), Pok Pok's sister Thai noodle house. Several noodle varieties/choices, including MaMa Naam, MaMa Phat, and often others - Thai MaMa brand instant ramen noodles made up Thai street-style. You can order almost all of their noodle dishes with any of 5 different varieties of noodles, including the MaMa instant ramen noodles. As the menu says, "homage . . . to the Thai obsession with instant ramen noodles."

Almost never any waiting for a table, and, while I love Pok Pok, Sen Yai is much more approachable, low key, and less pretentious. That said, the vast majority of Pok Pok's Thai dishes are almost certain to be dishes you have never seen - I know they aren't in 99% of the other American Thai restaurants I've visited. My daughter and I have both lived extensively in Thailand, and place Pok Pok on a level all its own for serving authentic street and home Thai dishes.

Another plus, it is directly across the street from Salt and Straw, enabling my usual bad habit of dinner at Sen Yai followed by exploring that month's flavors at S & S. It is also an excellent choice for lunch . . . again followed by ice cream at S & S :)

JeffS
08-17-2015, 09:02 PM
I'd rather go to Chaing Mai than deal with Pok Pok on a weekend, and would hit up UmaiPDX for the Ramen.

buldogge
08-17-2015, 09:06 PM
^^^Thanks ORMojo...looks interesting.

Any recommendations for seafood (local dive is fine) out on the coast...heading south???

TA
-Mark

PacNW2Ford
08-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Boardman State Park, got it, much more scenic than Boardman. Note on Vista House at Crown Point, it can be windy there. Some tourists opened their rental car door and it nearly got blown off, had to get a flatbed tow truck.

Otto's Sausage Kitchen on Woodstock is a good place for a hot dog. They grill them outside on the sidewalk and were on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, it's a fun experience.

If you've never been to Oregon, I wouldn't worry too much about missing stuff, there's something worth seeing almost everywhere, even Boardman, I think. My friend once heard a visitor to the southern coast, one of the most beautiful coast lines in America, ask "When does the scenery start?" Now that's a high bar.

ORMojo
08-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Note on Vista House at Crown Point, it can be windy there.

Yep, that's where we scattered my (biological) dad's ashes in 1991. Had to be careful to avoid blowback. :D Yes, I can laugh at it now . . . he "killed himself" (my editorial term) at age 59 (close to my current age) by starting smoking when he was 12 . . . and never stopping. At his peak, it was 4+ packs per day. Yuck.

Say hi for me.

ORMojo
08-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Any recommendations for seafood (local dive is fine) out on the coast...heading south???

Some of the best are on the north coast (Seaside and north), but I'll assume Lincoln City is the northernmost point you will hit the coast, and most of my trips are along the Central Oregon coast, so consider:

Local Ocean Seafoods (http://localocean.net/) in Newport. Be forewarned, at the certain (wrong) time of night on touristy weekend nights, the wait at this place can be almost as long as at Pok Pok!

Noodle Café (http://www.noodlecafenewport.com/) in Newport. Especially the Jung Bong spicy seafood soup . . . darn, now I want a bowl!

Saffron Salmon (http://www.saffronsalmon.com/) in Newport.

Not really a seafood restaurant, but Side Door Café (http://www.sidedoorcafe.com/) in Gleneden Beach is a good bet for lunch if you happen to be passing there mid-day. Funky renovated warehouse setting.

Again, not a seafood restaurant, but Sorella (http://www.sorellanyebeach.com/) in Nye Beach (Newport) just opened this past Spring, and I've already eaten there four times. Fantastic! And surprisingly kid-friendly (you wouldn't guess it from the web site/menu), with a kid's play area in one corner. Possibly my 6-year-old's current favorite restaurant, she keeps mentioning how much she loved the Calamari (she literally ate the entire serving the first visit!).

I haven't been there in a couple of year's, but Spinner's (http://www.spinnersrestaurant.com/) in Gold Beach has a well-deserved long reputation, as much for the good warm service as the good, but not outstanding (IMO) food.

Blackfish Café (http://www.blackfishcafe.com/index.html) in Lincoln City.

Bandon Fish Market.

Alloro in Bandon.

Do not bother with Tidal Raves in Depoe Bay. Always highly rated, admittedly incredible view and setting, but mediocre food.

Let me know if you want recommendations in the Seaside area.

Also, consider taking the 9 year old on a horseback ride on the beach at C & M Stables (http://www.oregonhorsebackriding.com/) north of Florence, or any of a number of other outfits that offer the same. Lots of fun.

buldogge
08-17-2015, 11:37 PM
^^^Thanks for the recommendations ORMojo.

I was looking thru an older thread about PDX hotels that you posted in.

Do you think either one of the Marriot Residence Inns downtown are worth foregoing other options at $113 (+tax)/night? Priceline Express Deal, so not sure whether it's the Pearl or Riverplace...a little further up the spectrum is what appears to be The Sentinel at $253+. The pool at the Marriots stuck out, as the boy loves to swim.

TIA
-Mark

JAllen
08-17-2015, 11:42 PM
Local Ocean Seafoods (http://localocean.net/) in Newport. Be forewarned, at the certain (wrong) time of night on touristy weekend nights, the wait at this place can be almost as long as at Pok Pok!

Amen on that recommendation! The wife and I LOVE that place.:hello:

lowdown
08-18-2015, 12:40 AM
Noraneko is not your only option for quality ramen, but its just a few blocks south of OMSI, which I think I saw on your to do list. Maybe a three minute walk down the same street.

I've spent a long time in Japan and am a ramen fiend. My wife is Japanese. We're pretty critical and have had a lot of ramen where we said "this shop wouldn't last a week in Japan." We left happy.

Dave

buldogge
08-18-2015, 12:44 AM
Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

-Mark

Noraneko is not your only option for quality ramen, but its just a few blocks south of OMSI, which I think I saw on your to do list. Maybe a three minute walk down the same street.

I've spent a long time in Japan and am a ramen fiend. My wife is Japanese. We're pretty critical and have had a lot of ramen where we said "this shop wouldn't last a week in Japan." We left happy.

Dave

ORMojo
08-18-2015, 01:08 PM
^^^Thanks for the recommendations ORMojo.

I was looking thru an older thread about PDX hotels that you posted in.

Do you think either one of the Marriot Residence Inns downtown are worth foregoing other options at $113 (+tax)/night? Priceline Express Deal, so not sure whether it's the Pearl or Riverplace...a little further up the spectrum is what appears to be The Sentinel at $253+. The pool at the Marriots stuck out, as the boy loves to swim.

TIA
-Mark

The Sentinel is nice (recently rebranded, remodeled, reopened), but not particularly geared towards kids/families. More business oriented.

The Marriott Residence Inn Riverplace just completed a total remodel of all rooms (and lobby), so it feels fresh. The pool is probably the best of the 2 or 3 downtown Marriotts with pools, mostly because it includes a large hot whirlpool that the others don't have. A short trip directly across the river from OMSI.

The Marriott Residence Inn Pearl has been open just over a year, very much still feels brand new. My wife likes it a lot for the modern urban (Pearl District) feel and location. We've stayed there 6-7 times since it opened. A hint - if you stay there, when you check in ask if one of the ground floor accessible rooms is available. I always prefer rooms on high floors, except in this particular instance. The 2 or 3 (I forget which) accessible suites on the ground floor of this place come with their own outdoor patio area, and we've switched at checkin to one of them 3 times now, and really enjoyed it.

The Marriott Downtown Waterfront, Marriott City Center, Courtyard City Center, Courtyard Convention Center, and Residence Inn Lloyd Center are all ok, but not as nice as the two above.

Honestly, I'm not clear if you are asking above if the Residence Inns at $113 are the best bet, or if the Residence Inns are better than other options available at $113. But if you can get either the RI Riverplace or RI Pearl at $113, definitely I would go for that. As you have probably noticed, both include full free breakfast, which, while not anything worth paying for, makes our 6-year-old very happy when we can send her down for her own breakfast by herself!

buldogge
08-18-2015, 01:23 PM
Yeah...I should have jumped on the Marriot (assumed) deal last night. I thought about it a minute too long and it was gone. Oh well.

Thanx for the advice.

Any cheapish accommodation recommendations down south, towards the redwoods?

-Mark

The Sentinel is nice (recently rebranded, remodeled, reopened), but not particularly geared towards kids/families. More business oriented.

The Marriott Residence Inn Riverplace just completed a total remodel of all rooms (and lobby), so it feels fresh. The pool is probably the best of the 2 or 3 downtown Marriotts with pools, mostly because it includes a large hot whirlpool that the others don't have. A short trip directly across the river from OMSI.

The Marriott Residence Inn Pearl has been open just over a year, very much still feels brand new. My wife likes it a lot for the modern urban (Pearl District) feel and location. We've stayed there 6-7 times since it opened. A hint - if you stay there, when you check in ask if one of the ground floor accessible rooms is available. I always prefer rooms on high floors, except in this particular instance. The 2 or 3 (I forget which) accessible suites on the ground floor of this place come with their own outdoor patio area, and we've switched at checkin to one of them 3 times now, and really enjoyed it.

The Marriott Downtown Waterfront, Marriott City Center, Courtyard City Center, Courtyard Convention Center, and Residence Inn Lloyd Center are all ok, but not as nice as the two above.

Honestly, I'm not clear if you are asking above if the Residence Inns at $113 are the best bet, or if the Residence Inns are better than other options available at $113. But if you can get either the RI Riverplace or RI Pearl at $113, definitely I would go for that. As you have probably noticed, both include full free breakfast, which, while not anything worth paying for, makes our 6-year-old very happy when we can send her down for her own breakfast by herself!

buldogge
08-22-2015, 12:29 AM
On the ground in PDX...

Ended up at Hotel Deluxe, and they were very accommodating with a larger room and roll-a-way for the boy.

Had lunch at Noraneko...pretty good...$11 lunch special with Ramen (with chiasu and egg) and a salad. Broth/base was decent...not great, but good.

Walked around a bit in the Lads Addition and had coffee at a neighborhood spot, Palio Coffee...pretty good actually.

Had dinner at Lardo...pretty tasty...nice portions, too big on the sides in fact. Am surprised at Portland Yelp reviews so far, actually...several comments about small portions at these places...odd.

Went by Salt & Straw...no way we were waiting in that block long line after being up since 3:30 am CST...settled on some OK gelato down the street (NW location).

Probably head to Portland Saturday Market in the morning...maybe swing by Heart Coffee on the way...

TA
-Mark in PDX