PDA

View Full Version : Blutooth speakers on the bike

dpk501
08-16-2015, 03:39 PM
On my ride today I noticed many people using these bluetooth speakers and blasting they're music out loud. When did this become a thing? IT's harshing my biking vibe.

Cicli
08-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Dont ride with a group. Or drop them. :bike:

oldfatslow
08-16-2015, 04:53 PM
On the parade of humanity that is the spectacle known as RAGBRAI there are people with speakers all over the place. My observation was a surprisingly consistent bad taste in music amongst the blasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAllen
08-16-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm guilty of this. Though only a handful of times. Sometimes you just want to jam some tunes. Granted I try to keep it to a dull roar.

Lo siento...

CunegoFan
08-16-2015, 08:30 PM
While trail running yesterday a group on MTBs passed me, the last one blasting tunes. As they passed I was thinking, "What type of d-bag thinks other people in the mountains want to hear their music?"

Louis
08-16-2015, 08:54 PM
As they passed I was thinking, "What type of d-bag thinks other people in the mountains want to hear their music?"

The problem is that they don't for a moment realize that other people might not care for their tunes or that that might not be the right place to be blasting music. And if even they did think about other people, they wouldn't give a rat's @ss. What they happen to want is the only think that's important to them.

It's like the smokers who dump their car's ashtray in the middle of the road while sitting at a stop light. Their convenience it the only thing they care about, why should they care about littering the world they share with everyone and everything else?

It's only Me, Me, Me.

JAllen
08-16-2015, 09:20 PM
I think it's one thing to play some tunes at comfortable volume (for yourself not an 8 bloc radius) while riding in the city. It's a whole different deal when you're in the mountains and hills while others are enjoying nature. I do agree that a lot of folks can be obnoxious about it. Like cars blasting their crap so that the world is subjected to it...

R3awak3n
08-16-2015, 09:49 PM
I have one of those speakers, its awesome. Use it everyday on my commute. NYC is so loud sometimes I can't even hear the music coming out of it. It beats heaphones.

HOWEVER, I do not use the speaker on any rides that are not commutes, also do not use it in parks or other places where people go to for quietness (trails, ect)... See the problem is not the speaker, the problem is the people that use the speaker where they shouldnt be using it.

thermalattorney
08-16-2015, 11:20 PM
I have one of those speakers, its awesome. Use it everyday on my commute. NYC is so loud sometimes I can't even hear the music coming out of it. It beats heaphones.

HOWEVER, I do not use the speaker on any rides that are not commutes, also do not use it in parks or other places where people go to for quietness (trails, ect)... See the problem is not the speaker, the problem is the people that use the speaker where they shouldnt be using it.

Using speakers or headphones while riding is definitely a selfish act, but I totally agree that speakers are fair game in the city and a safer overall choice than headphones. Drivers blast music all the time at volumes waaaaaay louder than any bluetooth speaker.

On the flip side I think speakers on MTB trails would make me get stabby.

bart998
08-16-2015, 11:42 PM
Sorry, I like to hear the cars sneaking up behind me... especially those devilish electric ones.... sometimes tire noise is the only sound they make.

joosttx
08-16-2015, 11:43 PM
There some young kid in SF that rides the fire roads of Marin with a mini jam box strapped to his handlebars. he plays really really bad and basic techno music. He told me it keeps him company on long rides. He's an excellent climber.

brando
08-17-2015, 02:33 AM
Why is it always the worst music? It's not even a matter of taste, it's just blechhh

oldpotatoe
08-17-2015, 06:10 AM
I'm guilty of this. Though only a handful of times. Sometimes you just want to jam some tunes. Granted I try to keep it to a dull roar.

Lo siento...

Why not jam some ear buds into one's ears? Rather than rube goldberg some speakers to your bike?

-Confused.

gmcampy
08-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Here's a thought....if you dont like my music, then drop me or hang back. Mine is played not too loud to be heard beyond a few feet away. Nothing like a BIG climb to Santana......

chiasticon
08-17-2015, 10:19 AM
this reminds me of people that blast down my road on super loud motorcycles with their stereos blaring. I always wonder: "can they even hear the music?" :confused:

malcolm
08-17-2015, 11:20 AM
On the parade of humanity that is the spectacle known as RAGBRAI there are people with speakers all over the place. My observation was a surprisingly consistent bad taste in music amongst the blasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just did it and I was shocked at how many had tunes on their bikes and how bad most of it sounded. I wouldn't mind music so much but the sound was atrocious, even the few songs I heard that I liked sounded bad.

EPIC! Stratton
08-17-2015, 11:27 AM
I tend to commute with my iPhone in an accessory pouch on the shoulder strap of my backpack. As a result it's convenient for me to play some music on it and have the speaker aimed at me. I've found it's loud enough for me to enjoy my music, still hear traffic/other riders, and not drive the people I'm passing crazy. Plus, no headphones.

JAllen
08-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Why not jam some ear buds into one's ears? Rather than rube goldberg some speakers to your bike?

-Confused.

Wow that's absurd. I can't imagine a boom box strapped on while riding. To me it's just as ridiculous to wear headphones.

Frankwurst
08-17-2015, 03:36 PM
I have a Sound Matters speaker and the bike mount on 3 of my bikes. I live and ride in a rural area, see few cars and very rarely another rider. I don't blast music but play it loud enough to enjoy and mute it on the rare occasion I do happen to encounter someone else. I don't like earbuds because I can't hear a car coming from behind or anything else for that matter. I like it. Helps me get my Ya Ya's out. :beer:

DrSpoke
08-17-2015, 03:56 PM
While trail running yesterday a group on MTBs passed me, the last one blasting tunes. As they passed I was thinking, "What type of d-bag thinks other people in the mountains want to hear their music?"

As I read this I was thinking, "What type of ... thinks other people on this forum want to read their crude and disgusting language?"

So basically you two are brothers in the Narcissist Society.

R3awak3n
08-17-2015, 04:32 PM
/\ I hope you are joking otherwise we have real life ned flanders right here.

Mzilliox
08-17-2015, 05:46 PM
As I read this I was thinking, "What type of ... thinks other people on this forum want to read their crude and disgusting language?"

I love reading the word "douche-bag" and I'm sad he abbreviated too.

So like the rest of the thread, this is like totally your opinion man, and you can join his club too, and I'm there, and anyone who ever posted anything in public should come right along, how dare we think others want to read our drivel. I mean i did actively click on this thread, then go ahead and read it even though a fast scan revealed bad words.... but yeah, why would anyone want to do that?

oh man, some days

cat6
08-17-2015, 09:11 PM
No bike sized Bluetooth speaker is that loud. If it's harshing your ride you're listening too hard.

CunegoFan
08-17-2015, 09:38 PM

Check you grandfather clock, pocketwatch, or sundial, whatever ancient timepiece people like you use to tell time. It's not the 1950s any more.

Cornfed
08-17-2015, 10:28 PM
One ear bud in my right ear. One ear for the ballgame and one ear for cars. And no one is bothered. Only downside is that I notice I tend to get slower when the Giants are losing. ;)

rugbysecondrow
08-17-2015, 10:35 PM
I tend to commute with my iPhone in an accessory pouch on the shoulder strap of my backpack. As a result it's convenient for me to play some music on it and have the speaker aimed at me. I've found it's loud enough for me to enjoy my music, still hear traffic/other riders, and not drive the people I'm passing crazy. Plus, no headphones.

I do something like this. Dogs barking, people chatting, kids playing, cars humming, trails whistling...life in the real world is not getting disrupted by my tunes. Frankly, I don't think you should expect quiet when you choose to ride out in the public.

The woods is a different game, IMO though. People need to respect the peace a little bit more, just like you would on a camping trip.

zap
08-18-2015, 02:09 AM
Or drop them. :bike:

This.

BumbleBeeDave
08-18-2015, 05:45 AM
The problem is that they don't for a moment realize that other people might not care for their tunes or that that might not be the right place to be blasting music. And if even they did think about other people, they wouldn't give a rat's @ss. What they happen to want is the only thing that's important to them.

It's like the smokers who dump their car's ashtray in the middle of the road while sitting at a stop light. Their convenience it the only thing they care about, why should they care about littering the world they share with everyone and everything else?

It's only Me, Me, Me.

Welcome to 21st century America.

Highpowernut
08-18-2015, 02:55 PM
I have thought about a speaker just so I don't have to have headphones in one ear. Wouldn't have thought I'd be disrespectful to someone I pass , or passes me.
Just my.02

nooneline
08-18-2015, 03:36 PM
this thread.

https://sports-images.vice.com/images/articles/meta/2015/02/17/the-latest-nfl-stadium-mess-or-old-man-yells-at-cloud-1424186090.jpg?crop=0.7453125xw:1xh;center,top&output-quality=75

zzy
08-18-2015, 03:38 PM
A lot of guys in NYC have been using Boombotix in the last year or so. Clipped up on a messenger bag shoulder strap and played at a reasonable volume, I don't mind at all. In fact I like that you can hear them coming/passing. But some people have the really large bluetooth portable speakers and predictably blast awful music, which everyone hates. So, like anything, do it reasonably and you're fine.

Highpowernut
08-18-2015, 04:08 PM
this thread.

https://sports-images.vice.com/images/articles/meta/2015/02/17/the-latest-nfl-stadium-mess-or-old-man-yells-at-cloud-1424186090.jpg?crop=0.7453125xw:1xh;center,top&output-quality=75

That's funny, missed that episode

93legendti
08-18-2015, 04:17 PM
A lot of guys in NYC have been using Boombotix in the last year or so. Clipped up on a messenger bag shoulder strap and played at a reasonable volume, I don't mind at all. In fact I like that you can hear them coming/passing. But some people have the really large bluetooth portable speakers and predictably blast awful music, which everyone hates. So, like anything, do it reasonably and you're fine.

I got tired of yelling "On Your Left"-half the time they didn't hear me and half the time they jumped, cuz I startled them, and the jump was to the left...

Music from my iPod on my phone at a reasonable volume lets animals (dogs and deer) and people hear me and they seem to all move right naturally.

Plus, I have great taste in music. ;)

kmrohan
08-18-2015, 04:28 PM
I know in Montana/Alaska on backcountry trails people use them so that you don't startle a nearby bear/other animal.
Trust me I've been in some situations where the "hey bear" is a thing and it's better than bear bells.

BobbyJones
08-18-2015, 11:41 PM
Come for a ride with me- I like to sing, mostly off key and make up my own lyrics to fill in the gaps.

You'll love those things after that.

On my ride today I noticed many people using these bluetooth speakers and blasting they're music out loud. When did this become a thing? IT's harshing my biking vibe.

dpk501
08-18-2015, 11:45 PM
That is the problem right there! The one's I've encountered have the music loud so they don't hear you. I had a guy today who called me an a-hole because I startled him but I yelled "on your left" all because his music was too loud.

I kindly turned around and fired off an expletive rant.

I got tired of yelling "On Your Left"-half the time they didn't hear me and half the time they jumped, cuz I startled them, and the jump was to the left...

Music from my iPod on my phone at a reasonable volume lets animals (dogs and deer) and people hear me and they seem to all move right naturally.

Plus, I have great taste in music. ;)

BlueFly
08-19-2015, 11:37 AM

That's my whole perspective. Just cause you're in a public spot (and can do it), it doesn't mean everyone wants to hear it. Seems to me as a lack of respect for all including the person being offensive. :confused:

benito
08-20-2015, 08:08 PM
the only acceptable music in the peloton is classic mid/late 90's hip hop.

"CARLOS. How many times i gotta tell you: NO DRAKE in the break."

also: dj screw mixes for recovery miles, because you are a scholar and a gentleman.

CampyorBust
08-20-2015, 08:25 PM
Come for a ride with me- I like to sing, mostly off key and make up my own lyrics to fill in the gaps.

You'll love those things after that.

+1

Usually signing 'O sole mio or whistling La dona e mobile or Prince Ali from Aladdin