PDA

View Full Version : New chain questions

Chad Engle
05-09-2006, 09:00 AM
What opinions can you offer on brands? Current drivetrain is Ultegra.

Recommendations on connex links or just get a bunch of replacement pins to use when cleaning chain?

Can I use a SRAM link on my current Shimano HG chain?

Thanks in advance.

Chad

dave thompson
05-09-2006, 09:33 AM
What opinions can you offer on brands? Current drivetrain is Ultegra.

Recommendations on connex links or just get a bunch of replacement pins to use when cleaning chain?

Can I use a SRAM link on my current Shimano HG chain?

Thanks in advance.

Chad
I use both Shimano Ultegra quality chains as well as the IRD 790 chains. Both work well, are quiet and last more than a season. On all of our bikes I use the SRAM Gold (9-sp) connector, it makes life so much easier when chains need to be de-mounted and re-mounted for cleaning or maintenance.

Chad Engle
05-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Ooorah, Thanks Dave.

coylifut
05-10-2006, 10:07 AM
agreed. I use a connector link on all my chains including the 10 speed. I do carry an extra just in case. I did have one SRAM chain come un connected on my MTB, but I found both peices on the trial and the problem has never re occured.

Kevan
05-10-2006, 10:17 AM
SRAM's PC-89r chain w/ connectors. Chain kept clean gives me near 2 seasons worth of stompin'.

Using an Ultegra 9.

RichardSeton
05-10-2006, 10:23 AM
There are 10 speed connectors? Who makes them? Where do you get them?

agreed. I use a connector link on all my chains including the 10 speed. I do carry an extra just in case. I did have one SRAM chain come un connected on my MTB, but I found both peices on the trial and the problem has never re occured.

dave thompson
05-10-2006, 10:26 AM
agreed. <snip>....I do carry an extra just in case............<snip>.
Agreed. I also carry a spare connector with in a little plastic bag, just in case a part might get lost if I have to do something to my chain on a ride.

Jeremy
05-10-2006, 10:56 AM
There are 10 speed connectors? Who makes them? Where do you get them?

IRD, Wipperman and KMC all make 10sp connectors. I like the IRD the most. It is reasonably priced and is available for Shimano or Campy specs. However, the Campy size works fine for both.

Jeremy

Bill Bove
05-10-2006, 11:15 AM
I use a connector link on my Campy ten speed chains, but only for convience when I'm installing them. To take a chain off I usually use bolt cutters. When I take a chain off the bike it's to replace it. I clean them on the bike, faster and easier and they get just as clean without the hassle of possibly wearing out the connector link or weaking a link driving a pin through it.

kgrooney
05-10-2006, 11:44 AM
This is my first year with a SRAM chain. If i pull it apart to clean, i would imagine I need to orient the chain as was original?

Chad Engle
05-10-2006, 01:50 PM
At lbs over lunch, strongly recommended NOT using SRAM powerlink on Shimano chain. I bought some replacement pins for now...

Jeremy
05-10-2006, 02:01 PM
At lbs over lunch, strongly recommended NOT using SRAM powerlink on Shimano chain. I bought some replacement pins for now...

Why? Despite the strange claim from Sram that use of their link with any other chain could result in failure, I have never heard of it happening. It doesn't make any sense either. Any master link can either be too wide or too narrow for a given chain. The results of either are immediately apparent upon installation.

Jeremy

don compton
05-10-2006, 02:09 PM
does anyone know if there is a chain connector available for the new, narrower campy 10-speed chains? :confused:

Kevan
05-10-2006, 02:11 PM
This is my first year with a SRAM chain. If i pull it apart to clean, i would imagine I need to orient the chain as was original?

Honestly, I break my chain twice during the heat of the season to clean the sucker and I don't have the foggiest idea which way it was preciously oriented when I reinstall. In fact, I would hazard a guess that it's best to mix it up, evening out any wear. I'm finally getting around to changing my '01 chainrings next week. I've gone through several cassettes.

Jeremy
05-10-2006, 02:20 PM
does anyone know if there is a chain connector available for the new, narrower campy 10-speed chains? :confused:

The IRD 10sp connecter for Shimano should work fine for the new narrower 10sp Campy chain.

Jeremy

dave thompson
05-10-2006, 03:17 PM
3 years using the SRAM gold (9-sp) connector on a multitude of bikes, including my wife's, and no problems. Of course one should be careful when installing the connector to be sure that it's secure. And I've not heard any talk of the connector having any faults or common problems.

Louis
05-10-2006, 03:51 PM
When I take a chain off the bike it's to replace it. I clean them on the bike, faster and easier and they get just as clean without the hassle

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. With the new lubes (not WL) I find that I hardly ever have to clean the chain, just add more ProLink.

Louis

adavis
05-10-2006, 04:08 PM
I was told by my LBS that there was not a connector (yet) that would work with the new campy chain. I switched to a different chain (connex?) that would allow for the connector.

Litespeeder
05-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I use DA10 chain on all of my road bikes and it doesn't have a connector link. However, I have never found it to be an issue. I have a SRAM chain with a connex link on my mountain bike and it takes me the same amount of time to pop off the pin on my DA10 chains as it does to remove the chain with a connex link - about 10 seconds. Yes, you do need a special tool to pop off the pin with Shimano chains but it's really quite easy to pop and replace pins with the tool.

I have had better luck with SRAM chains over wipperman connector chains. SRAM chains seem to be smother and more durable but I have no proof of that. Also, if you have Ultegra 10 then you may need to wait until SRAM puts out their new 10sp connector chain which should be available in the next few months.

:bike:

cycleman_21
05-11-2006, 06:17 AM
I was told by my LBS that there was not a connector (yet) that would work with the new campy chain. I switched to a different chain (connex?) that would allow for the connector.

Universal Cycles has the NEW campy connector, sorry I can't seem to post the link.
Whoops I just looked again and it is not available until late July, sorry.

Ron C