PDA

View Full Version : Do you ride CX with Di2?

FastforaSlowGuy
08-16-2015, 09:08 AM
Title says it all. I'm curious if electronic shifting has made its way into the mud and cowbells scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
08-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Title says it all. I'm curious if electronic shifting has made its way into he mud and cowbells scene.

One of the first Di2 I installed was on a Focus cross rig. Second race, lotsa mud, ripped rear der off bike. Frame ok but new rear der was like $425 or something. It, along with EPS, works very well in the wet/gunk/mud but breaking something can get expensive. But been used since 10s Di2 days.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Seems like some kind of breakaway RD or hanger would be a good idea.

christian
08-16-2015, 10:12 AM
If I actually raced cross, and was sponsored with free equipment, I would 100% absolutely ride Di2. One of the perfect uses for it, IMHO.

Dave B
08-16-2015, 10:42 AM
I know it has been used by big time sponsored racers. Sven Nys used it and had an infamous issue with the front ring and front mech dropping his chain.

I would use a lower level like Ultegra for cross as the components would see more abuse. Now with e-XTR, you might find some more robust parts. I think it is compatible with road levers, but not 100% positive on that.

bcroslin
08-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Lots of Di2 here in FL but not much mud. I've not heard of anyone having any issues outside of the normal issues everyone has racing CX. The guy who won Nats 35+ cat last season is from here and he's been riding Di2 with no issues. He also races the SS cat by choosing a gear and then pulling his battery so the bike can't shift.

gavingould
08-16-2015, 11:44 AM
yes i do, ultegra 11 speed. works great and i haven't broken anything yet.

thermalattorney
08-16-2015, 02:27 PM
I rode a Felt F1X with Ultegra Di2 for about a year. Took a bunch of minor spills, bent two derailleur hangers and scratched up a shifter pretty badly. It all kept on working.

Used Di2 parts aren't that expensive, especially the 10sp stuff. Shifters are only $100 and RDs are $125. In the case of the Felt, it was internally routed which helped keep things clean.

JimmyTango
08-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Always have been curious about the di2 for cx set up... I hear the shifting in the mud is excellent, but how is it finding the right button on the shifters with numb/ dirty fingers and a bumpy course?

RacerJRP
08-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Ran Shimano DI2 with hydro disc liast season. Not a single issue with the shifting or teh braking. I ran a single up front and had the shifting set for down on teh left side and up on teh right side. Keeping it simple so even with cold hands it was fairly impossible to goof a shift.

sailorboy
08-17-2015, 05:27 AM
Always have been curious about the di2 for cx set up... I hear the shifting in the mud is excellent, but how is it finding the right button on the shifters with numb/ dirty fingers and a bumpy course?

I don't have a link right now to show photos, but Katie Compton has a pretty neat trick for this--her mechanic preps the larger shift button with superglue and a sprinkle of sand so that it is easier to find with cold/wet/numb fingers and when wearing gloves.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-17-2015, 08:26 AM
I'd think the remote climbing shifters would be tough on a bumpy course but maybe the sprint shifters installed on the tops would be nice?