PDA

View Full Version : minivan inside bike rack

AngryScientist
08-15-2015, 07:29 PM
OK, so I bought the Odyssey.

solutions for storing the bike upright inside? i'm thinking a 2x6 with fork mounts in the back, any other smart ideas?

ontarget
08-15-2015, 07:33 PM
A 2x6 with fork mounts has served me well. Inexpensive, easy to make, and easy to store when not in use.

kgreene10
08-15-2015, 08:13 PM
A friend did this in his Honda Element and it worked great.

batman1425
08-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Yep - did the same thing but with a 2x4 in my station wagon.

oldfatslow
08-15-2015, 08:27 PM
My wife used to have a Odyssey. We could roll our tandem into the middle, pack two singles, and still seat four and all the gear no problem. For the money, the best driving most versatile vehicle on the market. Of course as our kids got older we got rid of it. I've actually thought of getting one for me (I presently drive an e-class wagon) and can fit the same amount of people and gear but the bikes, including the tandem, are on the roof rack which is not as easy or loving an environment for my bikes. Net, you made a good choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtb_frk
08-15-2015, 08:37 PM
http://www.steepgrade.bike/bike-racks/

Something like this might work.

commonguy001
08-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Saris makes a much more expensive version of the board with mounts called the Traps Track and it works great.
If you want to keep costs on the DL a board would be fine but I'd probably go 1x6.

LJohnny
08-15-2015, 10:49 PM
I use the Saris triple tracks rack with the fork mount.
https://www.saris.com/product/traps-triple

Sent from my brain

Avincent52
08-16-2015, 12:38 AM
The Honda is really the best minivan, and a minivan is so much better in every way than an SUV (on pavement, of course)

Now just be careful where you park it. I hear you can get a ticket if you leave it on the street.

Veloo
08-16-2015, 01:04 AM
Haven't tried this myself but been admiring it for a while.

http://www.minoura.jp/english/transport-e/excel-m-e.html

Tandem Rider
08-16-2015, 06:29 AM
IME, Use a piece of 3/4 plywood, you can carefully cut it to fit around the fender wells and the closed tailgate keeping the bikes from sliding forward in a quick stop. Just use individual spacers (4x4's) under some of the fork mounts (tall bikes get lifted) to stagger handlebar heights allowing you to squeeze more bikes in.

rugbysecondrow
08-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Can't you just fold down the seat and roll the bike in? I just looped the seat belt around the handbags to keep it from moving. My bikes are quite a bit larger than yours and I was able to do this, roll and ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ontarget
08-16-2015, 09:24 AM
I've seen some setups similar to what Tandem Rider suggested. That can be really nice. The big advantage is that bikes don't slide around, especially in a quick stop. The disadvantage is it's custom for one vehicle, but you may only need it for one.

pdmtong
08-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Nick it really depends on the bike types and sizes. I need to have the flexibility for my bike, wife's bike, and daughters bike.

Mine is free floating so I can accommodate road, cx, and mtb with different wheel bases. I also can slide the fork mounts to accommodate the various bar widths. Height variances are handled by independently rotating the mounts forward or rearward so the bars aren't aligned nor at the same height.

These are my old Yakima mounts and a 48" cross bar pipe clamped to a board. I bet the cost was $5.

2001 Suburban - that's the width for loading daughter and my mtb for some lift assisted DH last Friday
60% fold the second row and I get the full-suspension tandem in laying down and one passenger. The single mtb (wife or daughter) goes on the Thule T2

I bought the beast specifically to carry tandem or windsurf boards/mast INSIDE. Use an old queen mattress protector to catch dirt etc. The third row seat sits lonely in my office. Using the burb as a comfy clean pickup. If I had more dirty things to carry I would own a 4dr pickup with a shell instead.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/c31906345af15c78ba035b8802d4f4d1.jpg

weisan
08-16-2015, 06:12 PM
great design, pdm-pal!

thanks for sharing.

wow, the interior of your 2001 suburban looks like new....can I call first dib when you guys are ready to sell it? :D

ontarget
08-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Pdmtong: Very nice setup! I like the flexibility.

AngryScientist
08-16-2015, 06:25 PM
that is nice.

i'm off to home depot tomorrow to see what i can see.

i'm likely stealing the van for d2r2, so i need some kind of quick set-up.

downtube
08-16-2015, 07:21 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/c31906345af15c78ba035b8802d4f4d1.jpg

It's perfect, a Simple, clean, and efficient design. Thanks for sharing.
chuck

pdmtong
08-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Nick it really depends on the bike types and sizes. I need to have the flexibility for my bike, wife's bike, and daughters bike.

Mine is free floating so I can accommodate road, cx, and mtb with different wheel bases. I also can slide the fork mounts to accommodate the various bar widths. Height variances are handled by independently rotating the mounts forward or rearward so the bars aren't aligned nor at the same height.

These are my old Yakima mounts and a 48" cross bar pipe clamped to a board. I bet the cost was $5.

2001 Suburban - that's the width for loading daughter and my mtb for some lift assisted DH last Friday
60% fold the second row and I get the full-suspension tandem in laying down and one passenger. The single mtb (wife or daughter) goes on the Thule T2

I bought the beast specifically to carry tandem or windsurf boards/mast INSIDE. Use an old queen mattress protector to catch dirt etc. The third row seat sits lonely in my office. Using the burb as a comfy clean pickup. If I had more dirty things to carry I would own a 4dr pickup with a shell instead.

added some notes above (quoted myself). sometimes I wish I had a fixed set up but everytime we load up there is a nuance. sometimes I put the bikes tight together to free up one side for a bag or boxes. other times I have them wide apart. sometimes we have both road and mtb. I have to compress my mtb fork from 140mm down to 110 mm to clear the ceiling. my older tandem with a QR would also fit on the mount but the squish tandem uses a 24mm thru-axle.

this is ridiculously simple - yet it has met all my needs for the past two decades since my first burb in 1997. the only time it could be better is with a single mtb. sometimes the non mounted side articulates from sliding on the carpet when I am doing a lot of higher speed winding road.

Gummee
08-17-2015, 07:45 AM
Bought myself an Odyssey as well. Since its tall enough to put bikes in with both wheels on, I've been thinking about buying a 1-bike 1-up replacement tray (if such a thing exists), separating the sides, then bolting them side-by-side to some plywood and keeping the bikes upright that way.

I've also been thinking that its probably less $ to buy AL rod or bar stock and re-create the business end of the 1-up on my own, but its been a 'round-to-it.'

CX season is coming, so the 'round-to-it' has got to come to the front shortly.

M

donevwil
08-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Here's a homemade solution for my '01 Grand Caravan. Wood courtesy of our kitchen remodel and fork mounts courtesy of pdmtong (thank you again Paul). Longitudinals fasten via eye-hooks to the seat anchors. lateral board has multiple holes to move fork mount location when carrying mountain bikes or optimizing bike location for other luggage. This setup also gets the handlebars right up against the rear window for max use of space.

cderalow
08-19-2015, 07:31 AM
I've got a 2011 Odyssey.

I've found with my road bike, I can just slide it in, wheels on with rear row folded flat.

stick tire between the gap of the 2nd row (captains chairs moved to outward position), quick bungie around the wheel and the seat frames to hold it in place front to back.

I can stick two in there that way, and two more using the gap between the captains chairs and rear plastic/sliding door area.

so 4 road bikes, no modifications or added stuff.

the problem is the hybrids... i can't fit our hybrids in with the front wheel on still.

I should take a picture next time I've got my road bike in to demonstrate.

AngryScientist
08-19-2015, 08:48 AM
i made a fork mounted carrier last night. i should have taken a picture. very simple, yakima fork mount on a 2x6 with rubber stair tread on the bottom for friction. works perfectly, though not a lot of options with this approach. i think it will work just fine for me for the time being.

d2r2 this weekend with it, so we'll see how it goes on a longish road trip.

pdmtong
08-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Here's a homemade solution for my '01 Grand Caravan. Wood courtesy of our kitchen remodel and fork mounts courtesy of pdmtong (thank you again Paul). Longitudinals fasten via eye-hooks to the seat anchors. lateral board has multiple holes to move fork mount location when carrying mountain bikes or optimizing bike location for other luggage. This setup also gets the handlebars right up against the rear window for max use of space.

stoked those worked out for you! the set up looks nice, and mimics the "slider board" that rhode gear sold in conjunction with those mounts. the challenge with that factory piece was it had a single groove to slide the mounts along...which was fine if the mounts were aligned along the track. once the mounts were angled/rotated though, the handlebar angles got funky and I dont have as much a cavern in the suburban as in a min-van to accommodate the weird resultant angles. so, I stuck with my old system, as boring and simple. win-win for us both and again stoked to see they didn't become shelfware and you are getting good use out of them.
paul

christian
08-19-2015, 12:04 PM
I just roll them in in my Odyssey. So far I've had:

- Four road bikes
- A road bike, a tandem, a kid's 20" MTB
- Three mtbs

in without having to do anything or remove any wheels.

AngryScientist
08-19-2015, 12:26 PM
odysseys rule

Gummee
08-19-2015, 04:55 PM
I just roll them in in my Odyssey. So far I've had:

- Four road bikes
- A road bike, a tandem, a kid's 20" MTB
- Three mtbs

in without having to do anything or remove any wheels.

I stuck 3 29ers in the back of mine (upright, wheels on) to get us to lunch today. Still have the passenger side rear seat in 'just because.'

Try *that* with a Prius!

M