PDA

View Full Version : Heaven: Part 1 of 2

Too Tall
05-09-2006, 06:34 AM
Heaven, I'm in heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek...

znfdl
05-09-2006, 07:40 AM
anerobic?

Kevan
05-09-2006, 07:49 AM
with Kevan.

Sorry for the spoiler.

Sandy will, no doubt, come save the day.

Rapid Tourist
05-09-2006, 08:20 AM
I want whatever you are having!

terrytnt
05-09-2006, 08:22 AM
ditto to the last comment!!!

Tailwinds
05-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Yes please.

flydhest
05-09-2006, 08:38 AM
TT,

You're getting a whole spectrum of responses to your cryptic post.

spiderman
05-09-2006, 08:57 AM
here's our morning devotional...
...just in case...

Psalm 19: 10-14

10God's Word is better than a diamond,

better than a diamond set between emeralds.

You'll like it better than strawberries in spring,

better than red, ripe strawberries.

11There's more: God's Word warns us of danger

and directs us to hidden treasure.

12Otherwise how will we find our way?

Or know when we play the fool?

13Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh!

Keep me from stupid sins,

from thinking I can take over your work;

Then I can start this day sun-washed,

scrubbed clean of the grime of sin.

14These are the words in my mouth;

these are what I chew on and pray.

Accept them when I place them

on the morning altar,

O God, my Altar-Rock,

God, Priest-of-My-Altar.

REDEEMED

I awake and write the words I've heard

that describe the life I've walked through:

the moments that seemed so absurd--

transient, transparent...silenced old, echo new.

(Raw beef in peanut sauce--

graven face is scarred, embossed:

an emblem of shared experience).

The doors swirl open,

ever turning. Reflecting faces souls are burning

for the true, unopened door--

I walk right through,

behind, it closes.

Opportunity knocks,

discloses

my part so poorly done--

yet He imparts

the souls He's won.

Inspired gladness,

born of courage:

His the battle,

He will nourish.

Nurture, cherish, trust and flourish.

December 2002

manet
05-09-2006, 10:01 AM
itsa rouge

zap
05-09-2006, 10:06 AM
TT

Did you consume a zap sized vanilla double shot espresso this morning?

andy mac
05-09-2006, 10:10 AM
hey, just wondering which 'god' is that because i live in a building and different people here seem to all have different ones? and then when i go to work people have even more.*

there really are a lot of quite popular ones out there it's so confusing!!

*nb: they all seem like pretty nice people

:beer:

Fixed
05-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Heaven, I'm in heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek...

bro frank sang it irving berlin wrote it
when we're out together dancing cheek to cheek

davids
05-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Here she comes walking with that solar beat
The sun does funny things
It's like some prankster's cheat
I could swear the city's like a magic beach
cuz against the curb
I can hear those street waves beat
C'mon darlin
C'mon darlin!
It feels like heaven
It feels like heaven
It feels like heaven,
it's such a problem

Mid-summer's night,
on a magic beach,
The dreams that come to me,
they don't look out of reach
In the mirror I can see another face,
and if I sleep tonight
I'll wake up in some other place
C'mon darlin
C'mon darlin!
It feels like heaven
It feels like heaven
It feels like heaven,
it's such a problem

KevinK
05-09-2006, 10:40 AM
bro frank sang it irving berlin wrote it
when we're out together dancing cheek to cheek

It was Fred Astair.

Chet Atkins does a wonderful solo guitar version of "Cheek to Cheek" on his "Almost Alone" CD. It took me a month to learn it and many more before I could play it halfway proficiently. Not that anyone cares....

Any other guitar geeks out there?

Kevin

Kevan
05-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Shop (http://www.bicycle-heaven.com/)

heavenly shop (http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/family.html)

Helen's Heaven (http://www.helenscycles.com/)

Singing about bicycle heaven... (http://www.catiecurtis.com/index.php?page=songs&display=209)

Target's Battat Hog Heaven Bicycle:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000AVCP16.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

fiamme red
05-09-2006, 10:49 AM
It was Fred Astair.Yes, from the movie "Top Hat," with Ginger Rogers. Heavenly dancing, truly!

Fixed
05-09-2006, 11:36 AM
It was Fred Astair.

Chet Atkins does a wonderful solo guitar version of "Cheek to Cheek" on his "Almost Alone" CD. It took me a month to learn it and many more before I could play it halfway proficiently. Not that anyone cares....

Any other guitar geeks out there?

Kevin
bro I have it on a frank album (come dance with me ) but he sang a lot of songs .
cheers

Too Tall
05-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Mmmm Ahhhhhhh....not telling....yet.....yeah...it's a bike...not ready for the garage door treatment....yet...yeah I'm riding it....nope no tellin'...yet....first date...never kiss and tell...that'd be rude ;)

However, the song says it all and Frank and Eva Cassady ,in that order, are my fav. crooners of that ditty.

Fixed
05-09-2006, 12:59 PM
bro is she steel ?

znfdl
05-09-2006, 01:43 PM
TT, did you really get a meveechee?

Too Tall
05-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Fixed....meeebeeee ;)
Znfndl....meeebbbeeee not ;)

Fixed
05-09-2006, 02:04 PM
bro cool I know with a cat like you it's got to be nice .enjoy it bro
cheers

spiderman
05-09-2006, 02:32 PM
in a 55 cm version...
...can't wait!
do they make a tandem meivici??

William
05-09-2006, 02:36 PM
1500 weeks on the top 100 album chart means there are still people out there who buy the album and listen to it laying on the floor in the Dark sipping on a bottle of Rumplemintz. Turn up the volume TT. ;)

William

Too Tall
05-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Right on BigWilly...listen to this
*Couple of you locals know my secret...shhhhhhh.
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/heaven1.jpg

manet
05-09-2006, 07:39 PM

http://www.hot-dating.net/images/red-russian-bride.jpg

Too Tall
05-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey that's not fair, I blinked.

Fixed
05-09-2006, 08:21 PM
bro it's a new red steel c.d.a. serotta ? ..... 2nd guess a peg ?...ok i will not be able to sleep tonight .
cheers

H.Frank Beshear
05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey TT, I aint exactly local but I'm still not tellin :D :p

Big Dan
05-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Come on TT, I rode my tubulars today..that's worth something?

:bike:

Dr. Doofus
05-09-2006, 09:18 PM
what was the movie where he sang "the way you look tonight" to a facecreamed and houserobed ginger?

utterly charming

keno
05-10-2006, 05:52 AM
I ain't local, however, I think I know,too. I'm guessing your calendar springed ahead a few weeks. No?

keno

William
05-10-2006, 05:54 AM

That stem is on the Dark Side. ;)

William

Too Tall
05-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Good guess Fixed but nope!
First race on Heaven Part I tonight woo woo. Best handling bike I've ever owned.

The handlebars I want for this bike were misshipped and will be in this week. I'll post a worthy garage door pic. once the kit is complete. GOT to do justice to this super fine bike and hommage to it's maker.

I'm no slave to fashion you'll soon see. The bike is by my standards radical as I tend to favor traditional looking bikes....hoo hoo this sure ain't :)

The bike frame / fork arrived on our doorstep Monday eve. at 6pm. Had her built by 10pm and rode to work the next morning...could hardly sleep. Within 5 miles I was blasting corners and diving between cars...it felt like my bike. The genius who designed this bike used my Ti Legend plus aspects of my Clark Kent for clues. I ride ALOT lower on the Clark Kent This bike incorporates all the HB/Saddle drop of the Clark Kent.

The bike is a dream...throw your hands off the bars whenever. It disappears under you. Turns Pretty. Fairly stiff like a crit bike should be but the Ti soaks up small bumps like Ti does...no surprise there. This was designed as a race bike and I believe it will exceed expectations. More later. Thank you for your patience. Pics as soon as the full kit is in order.

znfdl
05-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I guess that you got a matching Seven to go with your track bike.

djg
05-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Heaven is a place,
a place where nothing, nothing
ever happens.

Brazed yes, lugs no ... so mebbe Kirk? Or Steve Rex? Or Vanilla? Or Landshark?

I know that there are quite a few other possibilities. So ... ?

Too Tall
05-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Znfndl - I just threw up a little in my mouth
DJG - you're waaaay off. That's Ti you are looking at....f'in amazing mitres non?

fiamme red
05-10-2006, 09:56 AM
what was the movie where he sang "the way you look tonight" to a facecreamed and houserobed ginger?

utterly charmingThat was in "Swing Time."

Kevan
05-10-2006, 10:01 AM
special? perhaps?

znfdl
05-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Actually, I head that big man Zinn is prototyping some Ti bikes for big people. Since you qualify as a too tall person, I betcha you have one of those.

NAHBS
05-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Band is "Red Lorry Yellow Lorry"

Taken from the "Blow" Cd.

Song title "Heaven"

Enjoy!
DW

Heaven in a life time, heaven in one day
Thinking of you only takes me far away
It's in you heart it's in your mind it's in you just the same
And through the clouds we rise above the gray
I'm coming down, so push me now and take me up above
I'm coming down so take me all the way

To heaven when I call you
Heaven when I say
Dreaming of a life
In heaven

It's in you heart it's in your mind it's in you just the same
And through the clouds we rise above the gray
I'm coming down,
So push me now and take me up above
I'm coming down so take me all the way

To heaven when I call you
Heaven when I say
Dreaming of a life
In heaven, yeah heaven

Heaven when I call you
Heaven when I say
Dreaming of a life
In heaven, yeah heaven

Heaven when I call you
Heaven when I say
Dreaming of a life
In heaven, yeah heaven

I'm coming now
So take me all the way...

manet
05-10-2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/talking-heads/heaven.html

davids
05-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Irving Berlin, Talking Heads, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, and Pere Ubu.

And Andrew's worried we're paying insufficient attention to Serotta...

djg
05-10-2006, 12:09 PM
DJG - you're waaaay off. That's Ti you are looking at....f'in amazing mitres non?

Holy heavenly smokes tallman. I stand corrected.

Too Tall
05-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Heyyyy it's just a bike.
Zin's are in the glass not under my a$$.

zap
05-10-2006, 04:17 PM
TT, at this rate, don't post anything further regarding your new rig until after Nottrott.

Keep it under wraps and out of prying eye's till then. Boy, I have this intro in mind that could be a real mind bender.

Kevan
05-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Moot

s

Too Tall
05-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Znfndl spent the day helping me and Queen move mom into the new addition. Dewd! You are the best. Well, actually it is Queen and Mom who are the best but you can handle it ;)

This bike is a birthday gift from Queen. It is a Custom Ti Spectrum as only Tom Kellog could do it. I've ridden this bike about 100 miles and 40 of them were racing and that's what the bike was designed for. Tom is one of the great and cherished American builders who still races and his machines are know for there superior handling....this one goes there and than some. I'm in awe of it and only beginning to appreciate what will come.

One thing was very apparent from the get go, this bike corners "pretty" and sprinting out of crit corners the rear wheel stays glued like it should...no over abundance of drivetrain flex is much appreciated.

Yeah, it is radical esp. for me and when T.K. told me that a compact will feel GREAT esp. out of the saddle his was right. Within a few pedal strokes the difference was there. For whatever reason NOT throwing a few ounces of bike thru the air makes a huge difference in feel. Don't try to rationalized it, don't misunderstand...it does make me want to race all the harder and it "feels" lively...I like it alot. Not having a bike under me was a surprise and I did not expect that but it happened...let me explain. Riding into work I realized that the bike disappeared, it feels very neutral and unobtrusive....a really cool benny and totally unexpected.

My Serotta Ti Legend is a superior handling bike...rock frickin' solid, beautiful, masterful...infact I will never give that bike up I LOVE IT THANKYOU Ben, Kelly and all the Serotta pals for what you do.

Before anyone says anything about the saddle / bar drop...it ain't all that radical. This is exactly the drop I raced all last season on the steel bike. If it is important to you I'll measure.

Can't wait to hear comments on the paint too :) This is a "Nod" to my team and erk erk erk I think Tom did a WAYYYY better job than heaven and earth ever ment for him to...the paint job was in a word INSPIRED.

Thanks for everyone's patience and good humor, presenting the bike was fun.

PS - Did not have time to tape the Zipp bars...sorry...they will be the Douglas stitched back jobs ala Stella Azura. PEACE!!!
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/heaven2.jpg

[url]http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/bikes/spectrum/heaven3.jpg
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/bikes/spectrum/heaven4.jpg
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/bikes/spectrum/heaven5.jpg

Ken Robb
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
nice bike--too bad about the cheesy plastic garage door :) .
About the drop though--the only time I have EVER been in a position like that was when I was having some surgery "down there". If I never get in a position like that again it will be peachy with me. :banana:

Fixed
05-12-2006, 04:35 PM
bike bro happy birthday you have a wonderful wife . and a really great looking bike .it looks like a race bike to me .
cheers

ShockTreatment
05-12-2006, 04:45 PM
That is one sick bike, and I mean that in the best way. Congratulations, TT

What kind of seatpost is that?

Kevan
05-12-2006, 05:57 PM
reminds me of a Donzi, just a whole lot quieter.

catulle
05-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Wow, TT, congratulations. That's some Pro looking bike, atmo. Very, very nice. I'm also glad you were able to secure one of those posts used for cleaning the top floor windows at the Empire State Buliding, iirc; the Fizik saddle looks like the flag atop the ESB, atmo. Enjoy your new bike in good health for many years, bro.

znfdl
05-12-2006, 08:04 PM
The bike actually looks better in person. I had the pleasure of riding with TT for 25 miles and the bike fits him like a glove. I just wish that I could straddle the top tube without singing a high note. TT is right about the cornering, as I watched him go through a couple of turns and it sure does sail through the corners nicely. May you have many happy miles on your new Spectrum.

Spectrum Bob
05-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Congratulations TT – I can’t wait to see it live – so that makes 3 Spectrums now just in our little neighborhood – from one of the tallest to one of the smallest – many happy and safe miles.

Win lots of races on it to! :banana:

Bob

PS You are really good at keeping secrets.

jerk
05-12-2006, 09:15 PM
the jerk does not get compact frames for big bikes.....the jerk already has more than enough whippy seat post showing on his bike! the head tube needs to get shorter not longer.....sloping, compact whatever is mp for race bikes for big guys. why? nice looking welds though....if the jerk cared about that.

jerk

TimD
05-12-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm with the jerk, but this one is better looking to my eye than most large
frames with sloping top tubes.

Forgive me, but the blue pedals gotta go :)

Ride strong!

TimD

PS The Hammer stuff is working well for me, thanks!

Too Tall
05-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Thank thanks and tanks. Yeah agree about the pedals..I've got new red ones a-comin'.

The seatpost is a one-off Albert Bold. He rolled down OS Ti tubing and produced a post that has no discernable flex. It is not one of his light weight jobs...it is a beefy tube. Astute comment as always Gee and the issue of flex in the SP was something that worried me too. Even my Ti Legend has a reinforced ST cluster to prevent flex. Anywho, this is a rock solid arrangement.

Is this really a compact or a sloper?

zap
05-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Oh, it's a sweet looking bike.

TT is sure to have loads of fun on this rig.

chrisroph
05-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Josh, congrats, it's beautiful and I'm pleased you love her. Out of curiosity, how long are the cs's, what is the st angle, the bb drop, the ht angle, the rake and the trail and how do those parameters compare with your other bikes? Does she have the TK 1" cs's? Those things are amazing and I agree with you that TK's compact ti bikes are something different out of the saddle.

Ray
06-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Sorry to hijack this old thread, but like others, can't seem to start a new one...

Another new Spectrum story.

About a year and a half ago I bought a custom Spectrum ti road bike that I've gushed about too much already. Although not at the top of my aesthetic preferences, it is simply the best riding bike I've ever been on by a good margin. I keep it built up pretty minimally and do all of my dry to semi-dry riding on reasonable roads on this bike. I'd been planning on getting another very nice custom road bike in lugged steel (my aesthetic preference) but the Spectrum killed any desire I had for another bike that did that sort of thing and economic reality got in the way anyway so I killed those plans.

Economic reality got back out of the way recently and I didn't really have an all-weather, all-conditions, rough stuff type of bike that I was particularly happy with any more. So I decided to let TK do his magic again for more of a light touring / rando / rough stuff / rainy day bike. I'll travel/tour with it and it WILL get pretty beat up, so I went with straight gauge unfinished ti with S&S couplers. Compact frame to help it fit in the S&S case. Built up with Berthoud fenders (but will probably take SKS or Planet Bike when I travel with it), Brooks, SPD pedals, and mtb type gearing for anything I could ever run into. Clearance for Roly Polys with fenders and for pretty fat cross tires without. Very very low BB so no real off roading, but should be fine on dirt roads.

Just got it, built it up, and have done about 75 miles on it so far. It's not quite as much fun as its older brother, but it wasn’t intended to be. It's more deliberate and relaxed and not quite as responsive, but still feels very efficient motoring along (not all bikes do for reasons I don’t pretend to understand anymore) and is more than OK in all regards.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this won't be to everyone's taste – being compact bare ti with high bars and whatnot. But as much as I like finely crafted lugs, level top tubes, and wet looking paint, function kicks form's a$$ for me these days and my two Spectra have the function part NAILED. Couldn't get pics to upload at anything larger than thumbnail size, so here's a link to a few that can be blown up as big as you wanna go:

http://members5.clubphoto.com/ray371358/4501409/owner-58ef.phtml

-Ray

manet
06-26-2006, 09:07 AM

Ray
06-26-2006, 09:29 AM
ray _ that's way kewl!
i assume that is one of jeff's steel forks?

i don't get the brooks saddle thang, but whatever...

Yeah, forgot to mention - custom Jeff steel fork. Custom Jeff fender mounting too, with EVERYTHING tapped. The Brooks works really well for me on touring bikes - just seems more comfortable for multiple days in the saddle when I'm sitting up even more than I usually am AND they're comfortable with street clothes too, which my otherwise favorite Aliantes aren't. Also the bagloops create lots of luggage options, which matter on a bike like this. I may put an Aliante on it from time to time, but probably the Brooks mostly.

-Ray

goonster
06-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Very, very nice, Ray.

Function FTW.

I see a lot of Spectrums on a weekly basis, and I'm starting to feel like this is a club I may want to join some day.

What's the lead time on a bike like this, roughly?

Ray
06-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Very, very nice, Ray.

Function FTW.

I see a lot of Spectrums on a weekly basis, and I'm starting to feel like this is a club I may want to join some day.

What's the lead time on a bike like this, roughly?
Hi Goon,

You'd have to ask Tom - I think he's still saying something like 11-12 weeks, but mine was slightly longer. You know where my loyalties have been over the years, but the first Spectrum was a revelation to a degree I couldn't have imagined. With the second one, I'm less surprised and overwhelmed and I haven't had it long enough to really pass long-term judgement yet, but Tom really seem to be able interpret your desires and translate that and the way your particular body sits on a bicycle to build something that does exactly what you want. It's been my experience and I've heard it from too many other people not to believe it. Not saying he's the only one, but he's a VERY good bet.

-Ray

Too Tall
10-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Foruminites - sorry for broken links. I've changed to a much better webhost and all orig. links should work...for the most part...hey wadda yah want????