PDA

View Full Version : Arrivee!! Legend Ti

dbrk
05-08-2006, 10:59 PM
The new Legend Ti (regular ti stays) with F3 fork arrived today from my dealer. It's a stock 59cm with the exception of a 57.5tt. I asked for the "least stiff" tubing suitable to my weight. Polished ti with matte decals. Present plans are to build it silver upon silver: Nitto Noodle bars, UNI5x Nitto 11cm threadless stem (measured the Nitto way this is really 11.8cm), Chorus ti seatpost, DA9 STI and rear derailleur, Campagnolo front der., TAZ silver crankset with TA bb, CK silver headset. For color it will get a dark green Brooks Pro saddle and very dark green Viva cloth tape. Mostly these are parts I just have in my box. Wheels are Protons with 28mm Conti2000, which of course don't measure nearly that wide but about as wide as a Mich ProRaceLite in 25. I have entirely forsaken squishy cork tapes and make a point of never putting on a matching group. I mocked it up tonight and the points of contact are perfect. What I like about it is the ultra-simple look. Photos to follow. It easily clears a RolyPoly both front and rear, as I found out as well but for now it'll wear the Contis.

dbrk

Serpico
05-08-2006, 11:01 PM
congrats, can't wait to see it

Ahneida Ride
05-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow !!!! that was fast !

I am most curious about the ride report. Is it really comfortable ??
Can Serotta build a comphy/not mushy Ti ????
The did for me. Can it be duplicated ? :rolleyes:

It sure will be a looker ! ;)

Ken Robb
05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Hey Dave T.--almost our size.

Climb01742
05-09-2006, 04:29 AM
congrats, douglas! please, when you can, photos and a ride report. i truly hope it meets your wishes.

Kevin
05-09-2006, 05:39 AM
Best of luck. Lets see some pics.

Kevin

DRZRM
05-09-2006, 06:21 AM
That was fast, can't wait to see it.

Ginger
05-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Douglas! Congratulations on your new Legend!
Mary Ann

eddief
05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
and how long is that headtube? Sounds like this time you did get my perfect bike. Good luck with the bulld and show us when complete.

victoryfactory
05-09-2006, 07:51 AM
DBRK

There's nothing like a new ride to get re-inspired.
I also went to an all Ti Legend after trying a carbon seat stay concours.
NO COMPARISON!
The Legend is way smooth, my favorite ride ever. Good move having it made
less stiff, The Serotta guys tend to over build (IMHO) due to a race bike
mentality, even though "real" racers don't ride Ti and prefer carbon or alum.
for stiffness.

You will love it (or I'm nuts)

Get it on the road, you'll see. You may want to sell off a few of your other bikes

VF

dbrk
05-09-2006, 08:13 AM
and how long is that headtube? Sounds like this time you did get my perfect bike. Good luck with the bulld and show us when complete.

eddief,
It's in every respect a "stock" Serotta but for the alteration of the top tube to 57.5 and the tube less stiff request (add a pump peg...what's a bike without a pump peg? It would be a bike without a pump peg..hmmm). Or to put it another way, I asked for those two things and Serotta built me their custom bike. I good with that either way. I think this makes the headtube 18.5cm. I'll use minimal spacers and lean over a bit, that's fine. Clearances are particularly good for a bike not particularly built with clearances in mind.

I have owned...gosh...ya'all don't wanna know...how many Legends? I must say this: Serottas continue to improve in quality of build. Don't mistake me, they have always been top notch, truly, honestly wonderful. I see a lot of bikes and the quality of this build is superb. On the alignment table yesterday it came up SPOT ON.

ml yo.

dbrk

terrytnt
05-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Congrats on your new Legend... can't wait to view pics.

How long did it take from order to delivery. I just placed my Ottrott ST 1.5 weeks ago and they said expect 5-6 weeks before delivery... but I think they may be padding.

Enjoy!!!

tnt

eddief
05-09-2006, 08:24 AM
really bad manners.

dbrk
05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
How long did it take from order to delivery. I just placed my Ottrott ST 1.5 weeks ago and they said expect 5-6 weeks before delivery... but I think they may be padding.
tnt

It was five weeks to delivery, made easier by going to polish not paint, I think. Serotta has a remarkable ability to _deliver_ and to get it right.

I need a headset but I think the rest is here. I'll have some pictures as soon as possible.

BTW, my CSi was repainted in Slurpy, yep, that's right Team 7-11 but with few decals and a bit of green trim on the TdF lugs that you CANNOT BELIEVE for being so beautiful. Yesterday the build was finished. These bikes were DA8 with dtshifters in their original iterations but I took the liberty of going to period parts that I prefer: Mavic SSc erector set group (not the crank, though I have one but rather a black TAZ). This one has the rare black SimplexMavic teardrop dt retrofriction shifters. Nitto bars and Pearl stem, black Mavic post, red Regal saddle. I'm charging up my lame digital camera for the wood pile post. We just got four cords of new wood, all stacked up. It'll be somethin'...This is one of the truly beautiful bikes in the world, imho yo.

ml.

dbrk

ClutchCargo
05-09-2006, 08:26 AM
looking forward to seeing the pics !

Ride on!

fiamme red
05-09-2006, 09:10 AM
UNI5x Nitto 11cm threadless stem (measured the Nitto way this is really 11.8cm)I've used SR, Cinelli, 3TTT, Modolo, etc., but never a Nitto stem. I've been thinking about ordering a Nitto Pearl for one of my bikes. Are all Nitto stems measured this way? If I want to replace an 11cm stem, should I get a 10cm Pearl stem?

Keith A
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Douglas,

I'm looking forward to seeing both of these bikes. I really hope that this Legend will meet your expectations and ride characteristics that you are seeking -- I know the ones in the past have failed to do so.

Congrats my friend :banana:

christian
05-09-2006, 09:15 AM
I've used SR, Cinelli, 3TTT, Modolo, etc., but never a Nitto stem. I've been thinking about ordering a Nitto Pearl for one of my bikes. Are all Nitto stems measured this way? If I want to replace an 11cm stem, should I get a 10cm Pearl stem?

All Nitto quill stems, such as the Pearl are. An "11cm" Pearl is 11.8cm long. I was surprised to find out the threadless one is, too. But that's good because now a 12cm Nitto stem will be long enough for me...

- Christian

fiamme red
05-09-2006, 09:21 AM
All Nitto quill stems, such as the Pearl are. An "11cm" Pearl is 11.8cm long. I was surprised to find out the threadless one is, too. But that's good because now a 12cm Nitto stem will be long enough for me...

- ChristianThanks! I'll order the 10cm then.

dbrk
05-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I've used SR, Cinelli, 3TTT, Modolo, etc., but never a Nitto stem. I've been thinking about ordering a Nitto Pearl for one of my bikes. Are all Nitto stems measured this way? If I want to replace an 11cm stem, should I get a 10cm Pearl stem?

YES! Nitto measures along the horizontal, i.e., along the side rather than from the bolt across the top to center.

dbrk

fiamme red
05-09-2006, 10:04 AM
YES! Nitto measures along the horizontal, i.e., along the side rather than from the bolt across the top to center.

dbrkAh, I see. Thanks!

alancw3
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
can't wait to see some pics! i have heard some great things recently about ta components. good luck with the build!

bluehorseshoe
05-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Congratulations again! This sounds like a wonderful bike. Enjoy.

William
05-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Sounds very nice. Can't wait to see it. Your going to put a 150 stem, 180 cranks, and a really long extreme off-set post on it right? :confused:

William

(At least then I might actually be able to ride it in August ;) )

catulle
05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Not very neighborly to keep us yearning for some pictures, atmo. :no: Nonetheless, congrats, pal. Good for you...! Please hustle with the pics, atmo.

Ahneida Ride
05-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Dr. Dbrk

Where are the Picts?

Great Horny Toads, I say Lookey here-er. :p

No Picts and Uncle William and I will have to pay you a little visit ! :D

I want those pictures now ! Please ? :rolleyes: