PDA

View Full Version : Wall Bike

Mike V
08-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Keep it or sell it?

dave thompson
08-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Wallingford Bike? Bike hung on the wall?

Mike V
08-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Bike on the wall, never ridden, limited edition.

tuxbailey
08-14-2015, 11:11 PM
Details? :)

VonTrapp
08-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Keep. Art is meant to be savored, not thrifted.

I'll always have a track bike wall art and a BMX hanging in the garage (for a future son). It's important for me to have a symbol of where the passion started (BMX) and where it was reignited (track).

R3awak3n
08-14-2015, 11:25 PM
you sell it and you might regret it, get it of the wall and ride it.

Also this thread is worthless without pictures.

mtechnica
08-14-2015, 11:34 PM
If you've never ridden it much then sell it!

If your wall bike is something with many hours and much blood invested into the ride then keep it forever.

Somehow I doubt most people with 'wall bikes' have bikes that have years memories attached to them. Who cares how 'limited edition' or "rare" it is. If you're keeping it because you think other people think it's valuable then it's a complete waste of time. Even relatively valuable vintage road bikes aren't worth that much as far as investments go. Just sell it and appease your wife or whatever. If the bike ever meant something to you the small resale value wouldn't make it worth getting rid of.

Lanternrouge
08-14-2015, 11:42 PM
If looking at it brings you joy, you should keep it as long as you don't really need the money for something else. Art can be expensive and if you view it as art that just happens to be something you can ride, then it is worth keeping.

I do think this thread needs pictures so everyone can appreciate it.

Mike V
08-14-2015, 11:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/mvstype/ef793da06728933bca48c612070d242b.jpg

merckx
08-15-2015, 06:17 AM
If you must, sell the wall and keep the bike.

stephenmarklay
08-15-2015, 06:19 AM
Sell it. My rather newish philosophy is:

Love people not things.
Use things not people.

Sadly this was not always the case and I had to learn this from a sales and marketing training video. Go figure.

Tandem Rider
08-15-2015, 06:45 AM
If it makes you happy to look at it, keep it on the wall. If you are sick of it, sell it. OR, glue up some nice gumwall's and ride it on nice days. It's a nice piece, and a dang nice bike, but it's not the one Greg rode, and there were 300 made.

I would look at it as a limited edition piece of art. The artist makes 300 prints of their piece that I like, I wouldn't store it away in a vault, put it out and enjoy it.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Keep it or sell it?

Ya need the money? Sell it.

You'd like it to be ridden by 'somebody'? Sell it.

You like it on yer wall? Keep it.

I'd keep it. I regret selling a couple of bikes that I cannot replace. 58cm Merckx MXLeader from last 100 made, for starters..to some gent in UK..should have never sold it.

Veloo
08-15-2015, 02:38 PM
I sold my Mountain Cycles Moho road bike years ago. I was on the fence like you. I wasn't using the frame but it was something that was no longer in production. I ended up selling it back to the guy I had bought it from. I gave it to him for half the price he sold it to me. I was happy to let it go knowing it was going to someone who would make good use of it.

Tickdoc
08-15-2015, 02:55 PM

Love people not things.
Use things not people.

Sadly this was not always the case and I had to learn this from a sales and marketing training video. Go figure.

I might need a copy of this video.

Wakatel_Luum
08-15-2015, 07:30 PM
I've sold both bikes and surfboards, mainly to cover rent...some I regret, others I haven't...the only issue is it isn't till after you have sold it that you realize whether it was the right decision...

doomridesout
08-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Are you the only one who would care if it wasn't there, and you don't care, sell it.

I only regret selling one bike, and it's the one my girlfriend loved because it was so beautiful. It was also a great bike but it had sentimental value to her too. We talk about it whenever I sell anything else.

Avincent52
08-16-2015, 12:35 AM

Love people not things.
Use things not people.

Nice words, of course, but I'd be very surprised if the company that made the video, or the company that paid to show it to you, lived by them in any meaningful way.

If so, consider yourself very lucky.

All that said, if you're living a kinder, happier life, I guess it doesn't matter where you got the inspiration. Good on you.

stephenmarklay
08-16-2015, 05:50 AM
Nice words, of course, but I'd be very surprised if the company that made the video, or the company that paid to show it to you, lived by them in any meaningful way.

If so, consider yourself very lucky.

All that said, if you're living a kinder, happier life, I guess it doesn't matter where you got the inspiration. Good on you.

It was a funny old guy with a full of words of wisdom. I sell real estate so that was what it was about.

It was really just a video of his life experiences. Anyway, I tend to take the nuggets as they come.

blessthismess
08-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Does it fit you, could you ride it if you wanted to? Does it still make you happy when you walk into the room and see it? Is there something you like less that you could sell instead?

Keep it.

Is it to big/small for you to ride even if you wanted to? Are there more important things in your life that you need money for? Not enough space your house/apt? Tired of seeing it not being ridden?

Sell it

professerr
08-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Ask yourself: what would it sell for, and would I pay that much for it now to hang the thing on the wall? If the answer is no, wait a year, ask again. If still no, sell it.

All that said, I think it is pretty rare a wall bike ends well. Old bikes that get ridden now and then, on the other hand, often do.

SELFdizolve
08-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Just sold a wall bike, Near mint condition 1992 Cannondale track. It took forever for me to actually decide to sell it, but it funded a new road bike that will see outside way more the can Cannondale ever did. It hurts now, but I'm sure I'll be over it when the new ride comes in the next week or two.