PDA

View Full Version : Welding as Art

Kirk Pacenti
08-14-2015, 04:22 PM
For those who know what they are looking at, this stuff is art!

http://twistedsifter.com/2015/08/sweet-welds-by-scott-raabe/

Cheers,
KP

alancw3
08-14-2015, 05:02 PM
wow! those welds are incredible. i'm sure that guy could have a job at moots anytime he wanted. thanks for sharing.

brockd15
08-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Never seen welds like that before. It looks very "rhythmic."

zank
08-14-2015, 07:44 PM
I've been following his IG for a long time. #inspiration

JAllen
08-14-2015, 08:08 PM
It looks very "rhythmic."

great way of describing it.

bobswire
08-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Eye candy, for real.

guido
08-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Nice stuff! I'm still trying to get neat consistent dimes... :confused:

Is he rocking the cup to get that patterning?

tiretrax
08-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Impressive. It's nice to see something so ordinary and utilitarian done with such precision and style.

zank
08-14-2015, 09:55 PM

Walking the cup. Scott freehands the weave too.

Louis
08-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Looks nice and I admire his skill, but I'm going to be a grump here and admit that it makes me uncomfortable - primarily because I've seen companies I've worked with have to spend lots and lots of money investigating and understanding failures in weld. IMO welds are structural joints and something too important to get cute with. This is getting cute.

I have no idea if doing this compromises the structural integrity of the weld, and would like to hear more about that end of things if I were to buy a frame with that sort of weld.

nesteel
08-14-2015, 11:52 PM
That's not "cute". That is pure skill with a HUGE amount of practice thrown in. Just looking at the way it's all wetted in tells you the welder knows what he's doing. The color of the material will tell a great deal about the weld also. It will tell you if the joint's been overheated, which will fail. It'll also tell you if there's been enough heat, in the right places.
Neatness counts. Sloppy looking welds are just that; sloppy.

Louis
08-15-2015, 01:47 AM
I agree he's hugely talented. But if it's being done for cosmetic and not structural reasons it's cute.

zank
08-15-2015, 06:12 AM
The appearance is the result of perfect prep of the joint, cleanliness of the filler wire, perfect gas coverage, and motor skills that rival a robot. He's working in places that are 100% x-ray and welding to the letter of whatever code the joint calls for. His work is an inspector's wet dream.

Tandem Rider
08-15-2015, 06:33 AM
The appearance is the result of perfect prep of the joint, cleanliness of the filler wire, perfect gas coverage, and motor skills that rival a robot. He's working in places that are 100% x-ray and welding to the letter of whatever code the joint calls for. His work is an inspector's wet dream.

No Kidding!! Looks like stainless steam piping. Normally, only a few places require stainless for steam, and usually they are 100% x-ray (think nukes, refineries, chem plants). These are some of the prettiest welds I've seen in the field.

happycampyer
08-15-2015, 06:38 AM
There was a thread about this (which in turn was about a thread on Reddit) a while back across the hall. Apparently the weld is referred to as a Rolls Royce Cobra weld, and is used in industrial applications. The welder in the video posted by Eric Doswell is impressive to watch.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f10/assume-all-you-welders-out-there-have-already-seen-41024.html

guido
08-15-2015, 07:05 AM
The video on the VS link was very helpful. He is walking the cup along the hot bead he just created. I was trying to envision how to get that pattern just from rod manipulation and movement of the tungsten but it looks like the pattern comes from the "footprint" of the cup on the still soft bead...

zank
08-15-2015, 07:09 AM
The weave pattern is from manipulating the puddle.

mnoble485
08-15-2015, 07:18 AM
One of the projects I'm working on includes adding a new cooling tower and chiller at a hospital. I showed these pics to my pipe fitters and they immediately said " oh, he's walking the cup". My lead welder was really impressed and wanted to see more welding shots. We spent the next half hour looking at Firefly,Moots, Zank, Dave Kirk....

Mike

guido
08-15-2015, 07:21 AM
Manipulating it with motion of the rod or the motion of the tungsten/arc or...
The weave pattern is from manipulating the puddle.

zank
08-15-2015, 07:29 AM
A little of both, but mostly the torch. Here's a fun video that shows the puddle. He starts a weave at about the 7:15 mark.

https://youtu.be/YA2cROhYdoc

soulspinner
08-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Awesome stuff.

nesteel
08-15-2015, 09:19 AM
The video on the VS link was very helpful. He is walking the cup along the hot bead he just created. I was trying to envision how to get that pattern just from rod manipulation and movement of the tungsten but it looks like the pattern comes from the "footprint" of the cup on the still soft bead...

The cup should never touch the puddle/bead while it's liquid enough to leave a mark.
That look is the result of puddle manipulation and walking the cup. Both take skill and a very light and accurate touch. My instructor (20 years ago) would dock you points if he couldn't walk up and knock the torch out of your hand while you were welding.

guido
08-15-2015, 08:11 PM
That makes it very clear. Thanks Mike! Lots to work on...

A little of both, but mostly the torch. Here's a fun video that shows the puddle. He starts a weave at about the 7:15 mark.

https://youtu.be/YA2cROhYdoc

thirdgenbird
08-15-2015, 08:32 PM
When I spent some time leading one of our welding groups, I had a guy that could put down welds like this. When people saw his work, they assumed it came off the robot.

cd_davis
08-16-2015, 06:14 PM
What welding processes is he using- TIG, tungsten arc???

zank
08-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Yes, TIG. The more current name is Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) for anyone who cares.

slinkywizard
08-17-2015, 07:29 AM
wow...art indeed. Amazing motor skills...

malcolm
08-17-2015, 11:26 AM

never did it with tig but stick welding some of the old timers called it shoe lacing or weaving and what you did was basically have side by side puddles with one just a touch behind or in front and walk the arc over back and forth to created the bead. I imagine a similar technique with TIG.

The most impressive part to me is the absolute symmetry. This must be the most steady hand on the planet with an incredible eye.

SpokeValley
08-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Absolutely fascinating. What a great thread! Thanks to all for the great contributions and vids.

I've never held a torch in my life but this make me want to give it a try. It's not like you can wander down to your local welding shop and rent some time, but I'd love to have someone show me some basics and let me give it a go.

I suspect that welding frame tubing is a little bit different than pipe, though.:rolleyes: