PDA

View Full Version : OT - Commuting car Northern NJ

Miller76
08-14-2015, 12:35 PM
I know this is way off topic, but I'm hoping someone will have a good opinion on this subject.

I have a 65 mile round trip as my daily commute to and from work. 90% of the commute is on highways. I typically leave at 5:20 in the morning and drive home around 5:30 in the evening.

My current car is a 2013 328xi BMW and I'm starting to research a replacement as the BMW lease is soon to expire.

I'd been considering a Jeep Unlimited or a GMC Canyon but I really don't think its the best decision, but am looking for alternatives or suggestions.
I only use my car for commuting, it is very, very rare that we use it as the family car on the weekends. My wife has an SUV that we use as the family and weekend car.

Ideally the next car costs less to lease or own than the 3 series BMW and is AWD. I've been averaging 25 mpg on my daily commute.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

jlyon
08-14-2015, 12:56 PM
The 2016 Accord comes out next week and the Civic in about 2 months both with some exciting new technology if you are into that stuff.

The Honda Sensing package of collision avoidance (Automatic Braking) and lane keeping (Will even steer you around a sharp curve if needed) sound really neat to me.

I can't wait to test drive one and see how it works. Neat new Apple and Android connectivity also.

If you are not into the high tech stuff it is a good time to get a deal on the 2015 stuff that does not have those features.

I have a 2013 accord and average almost 32MPG on my commute.

Nooch
08-14-2015, 12:57 PM
diesel golf two (or four) door?

honda cr-z?

veloduffer
08-14-2015, 12:57 PM
The Ford Edge Sport is very zippy and get 27mph on the highway with a turbo 3.5L V6. The heavier Explorer Sport goes 5.8 sec 0-60, so the Edge is going to be a bit faster. Both are quiet cars on the highway too.

Lease for the Sport is $332 for 36 mos.

My friend had a Prius to commute from Long Island to Scranton 3 days a week. He's generally a sports car guy but he loved the Prius and that he hardly ever visited a gas station.

Likes2ridefar
08-14-2015, 12:59 PM
I ride a BMW motorcycle 85 miles each way into the city. it gets 40-50 mpg as long as I'm staying below 100mph. :help:

i say keep the bmw name and get to work faster and have fun.

the k1300s is a pleasure to ride every day.

Ken Robb
08-14-2015, 01:13 PM
after 35 years of BMW ownership we replaced our 330i ZHP with a Mazda 3 sedan with 2.5 liter engine and 6 speed automatic. It has been flawless, averages 30+ mpg on regular and is fun to drive. You might want to look at one of the Mazda AWD models with that drivetrain like the CX-5.

BlueFly
08-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Had a 2003 Subaru Baja (old school brat-like vehicle) which continues to run with >300K miles on it (son drove it out to Denver). Best car ever. Have had Honda's that last almost as long.

If your looking for AWD then Subaru is my recommendation.

OtayBW
08-14-2015, 01:31 PM
I ride a BMW motorcycle 85 miles each way into the city.
I just took a gub'ment job and now find myself commuting 54 mi each way through the Baltimore Beltway - and I thought I had it bad! I don't know how you do it for that distance. I also considered a motorcycle (used to own an R60/s years ago...), but the bad weather considerations put the kibosh on that...

Likes2ridefar
08-14-2015, 01:48 PM
I just took a gub'ment job and now find myself commuting 54 mi each way through the Baltimore Beltway - and I thought I had it bad! I don't know how you do it for that distance. I also considered a motorcycle (used to own an R60/s years ago...), but the bad weather considerations put the kibosh on that...

I'm in the security clearance process right now for a job in MD...maybe next year it'll happen :)

the commute sucks overall. Dont get me wrong. It's way better than the trains though, and it's about $300/m cheaper and saves me about 2 hours a day commute time.

Fortunately, it's temporary. Hopefully in a few weeks it'll be over.

I've been doing it since last September. I have about 24,000 miles so far. 3 months i couldnt ride Jan-Mar. Weather is really not a big deal, IMO. heated gear and a rain suit beats any weather besides ice/snow.

yngpunk
08-14-2015, 02:13 PM
diesel golf two (or four) door?

honda cr-z?

+1 on Diesel golf. 40+ MPG and diesel currently cheaper than gasoline in many parts of NJ. Paid $2.23/gallon the other day. Plus you can get it in manual transmission ;-)

I have one (2 door, manual, tuned) and am in Florham Park occasion if you want to "test drive" one.

sloanfiske
08-14-2015, 03:01 PM
get a Subaru or a Toyota Rav4. keeps the 4wd thing without going over the top. they tend to get mid 20's MPG if you stick to the 4cyl. and they'll be hundreds less than the 3 series xi BMW lease. You might also want to entertain the Audi A3 Quattro or 1/2 series BMWs. Getting in a Toyota after driving a BMW is a bit of culture shock.

Jeeps have had a ton of problems lately. You're good to avoid. I looked at a lot of cars with my wife before we landed on what she wanted.

I love the train though. I wouldn't give it up and drive. The cost of fuel and my sanity in traffic isn't worth it.

Avincent52
08-14-2015, 03:35 PM
I live in Northern NJ too.
If you've managed to drive the BMW to this point, why do you need AWD.

According to a test by R&T, AWD and snow tires are the best setup for snow, naturally.
But what's second?
RWD with snow tires.
Well ahead of AWD with all-seasons.

For around $500 you can get a set of winter tires and have the best for the conditions all year 'round, and have a car that handles better, is much cheaper, and much more reliable.

If ground clearance is an issue because they don't plow your roads, that's another issue, I guess, but in and around Montclair, I don't have a problem with my RWD BMW.

My only piece of advice: you're going to be spending about 20 hours a month in the driver's seat of whatever you buy. So get something you like.
A new F30 328i is just over $300 a month I guess.

FWIW, if you're not going with another BMW, I like the suggestions of a Mazda 3 or a VW diesel.

Louis
08-14-2015, 03:47 PM
get a Subaru or a Toyota Rav4. keeps the 4wd thing without going over the top. they tend to get mid 20's MPG if you stick to the 4cyl.

My Subaru Impreza hatchback (non-WRX) gets about 38 mpg / tank in the summer and 34 mpg / tank in the winter. That's about 2/3 highway, 1/3 surface roads. Had I know the mileage was going to be that good I would have gotten the turbo version.

ik2280
08-14-2015, 05:01 PM
I live in Northern NJ too.
If you've managed to drive the BMW to this point, why do you need AWD.

According to a test by R&T, AWD and snow tires are the best setup for snow, naturally.
But what's second?
RWD with snow tires.
Well ahead of AWD with all-seasons.

For around $500 you can get a set of winter tires and have the best for the conditions all year 'round, and have a car that handles better, is much cheaper, and much more reliable.

^^^ He's spot on - it's all about snow tires. Get a set of steel wheels, mount the snow tires on them, and then you can switch to snow tires yourself. This is what I did when I had a 325xi wagon, very painless. Would do it with my Peugeot, but I don't drive in the winter really, given that I'm in Manhattan.

Miller76
08-14-2015, 06:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the XI series an AWD model? it's been fantastic in the snow for the last few years. Ground clearance isn't really an issue. The drive is to the nearest PATH station and that takes me into Manhattan. I could afford to drive into the city everyday, and my sanity couldn't take it either. Someone else just told me that the new 2016 Honda Pilot Elite is a really good car to consider?

uber
08-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Volkswagen GTI typically gives a very sport like driving experience. It is not AWD, but with snow tires for the winter it is pretty amazing. It can't compete with an AWD SUV for snow driving, but snow tires with FWD will get you through most of what North Jersey winters will through at you.

djg21
08-14-2015, 06:39 PM
I know this is way off topic, but I'm hoping someone will have a good opinion on this subject.

I have a 65 mile round trip as my daily commute to and from work. 90% of the commute is on highways. I typically leave at 5:20 in the morning and drive home around 5:30 in the evening.

My current car is a 2013 328xi BMW and I'm starting to research a replacement as the BMW lease is soon to expire.

I'd been considering a Jeep Unlimited or a GMC Canyon but I really don't think its the best decision, but am looking for alternatives or suggestions.
I only use my car for commuting, it is very, very rare that we use it as the family car on the weekends. My wife has an SUV that we use as the family and weekend car.

Ideally the next car costs less to lease or own than the 3 series BMW and is AWD. I've been averaging 25 mpg on my daily commute.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

What's your residual like? Do you not want to purchase your BMW? Maybe you can get it certified?

Miller76
08-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Residual $29,905 - will be a three year old with 45,000 miles