PDA

View Full Version : Not Either/Or but...Both/And

weisan
08-14-2015, 11:44 AM
I am not a big fan of argument or proposal that posits as "those are our only two options" eg. car/bike, shimano/campy, steel/carbon, rapha/anti-rapha, etc etc...

For 99% of the people out there, the "correct" answer for them lies somewhere in between, a combination of, matter of finding the right balance.

Now that I have clarified on where I stand, personally...
i thought this picture that my friend sent us is pretty cool.

https://images.washingtonpost.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.washingtonpost.com%2Fblogs% 2Fwonkblog%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F08%2F7hAJ4qG1.gif&op=noop

AngryScientist
08-14-2015, 11:51 AM
that's a really cool visualization.

i just said yes to a new job that is going to make me a LOT less automobile dependent, and i'm really excited about it.

slidey
08-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Nice visual, Wei.

i just said yes to a new job that is going to make me a LOT less automobile dependent, and i'm really excited about it.

Congrats!

Same here - I've been loving walking past my car every day to/fro from work. I'm going to do the grocery walk a couple of more weeks, and then the car goes on CL.

bobswire
08-14-2015, 02:04 PM
That's why I avoid driving during rush hour, which nowadays is between the hours of 7am to 6pm in just about any major city . :eek:
Being retired helps.:rolleyes:
I'm thinking of finally getting rid of my auto since I use it maybe once a week for errands at the most and an occasional trip to Yosemite or where ever.
I'm thinking of joining a service like Car Share or Zip Car, memberships are $70 a year and approx. $8.50 hr for short trips or you can rent by the day. That covers ins./gas/ and no maintenance fees.
Obviously location makes a big difference since I have access to good public transportation.
At present It cost me approx. $1620 a year to $3400 depending on side trips,maintenance,etc.:confused:
Whereas a Zip Car membership would be $512 total ( at my present use).:hello:
If I needed to take long trips I'd just rent a vehicle but the older I've become the less traveling I do by auto while cycling has greatly increased.

tiretrax
08-15-2015, 11:12 AM
That's great. It shows that it's not just cars that make people mobile. All forms of transportation are needed. The climate where one lives will also direct a lot of those choices.