PDA

View Full Version : Selling Rapha on Paceline

DCilliams
08-13-2015, 08:06 PM
I'll be brief here as I've rarely had an issue on this forum. Its members, especially the old guard, have been very generous to me with their knowledge, time and sales.

Just one note of caution: I've been burned twice now purchasing Rapha apparel on here and have noticed several other members recently voice similar experiences. I understand the temptation to flip your used kit, but most buyers can tell the difference - once it's arrived - between an item that has been worn a handful of times and one that's seen a season of armpits and river rock washes. So, just be upfront about its wear and tear and resist the flattering photos.

That is all :D

jimoots
08-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Shouldn't this be selling 'clothing' on the paceline?

I know you've been burned twice buying Rapha but the Rapha bashing slash reverse-elitism gets tiring.

oldfatslow
08-13-2015, 08:22 PM
I'll be brief here as I've rarely had an issue on this forum. Its members, especially the old guard, have been very generous to me with their knowledge, time and sales.

Just one note of caution: I've been burned twice now purchasing Rapha apparel on here and have noticed several other members recently voice similar experiences. I understand the temptation to flip your used kit, but most buyers can tell the difference - once it's arrived - between an item that has been worn a handful of times and one that's seen a season of armpits and river rock washes. So, just be upfront about its wear and tear and resist the flattering photos.

That is all :D

Ralpha can only be experienced new from an authorized reseller. Buying it second hand makes you no better than the unwashed masses wearing Assos. If you truly aspire to what the Ralpha brand represents, sell your plasma, force your children to work, make the Mrs. drive a pedestrian AMG model instead of a Black AMG model to make available the funds necessary to bespoke yourself in Ralpha kit.

2nd Hand? Come on.

sandyrs
08-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Shouldn't this be selling 'clothing' on the paceline?

I know you've been burned twice buying Rapha but the Rapha bashing slash reverse-elitism gets tiring.

I suspect people's fondness for Rapha makes it more tempting to write a deceptive ad for worn-out kit. Other brands don't seem to have the resale value. Nothing in this post bashes Rapha. Clearly the OP likes the stuff if he was willing to risk getting burned a second time to buy it.

tiretrax
08-13-2015, 08:29 PM
The same could be said for any other item sold here, and I remember some kerfuffles about road rash on derailleurs, saddles, and shifters. Leave the poor guy alone.

jimoots
08-13-2015, 08:31 PM
Yeah sorry I finished my post mid-thought. No Rapha bashing as yet but I was more having an emotional moment at the thought of yet another thread that descends into Rapha bashing when it should be a conversation about being honest when selling stuff on here.

Also agree with the above point that Rapha tends to hold its value very well although that doesn't excuse inaccurate descriptions.

DCilliams
08-13-2015, 08:49 PM
To just clarify: all my post meant to get across is just represent the condition of your kit, in this case Rapha, accurately. Really just a laid back note of caution- no deeper intent than that. I've also bought great kit on here, too. :beer:

bcroslin
08-13-2015, 08:59 PM
I've had two experiences buying Rapha here on the forum and one went great and the other didn't but the seller made things right and was very apologetic.

With that said, I've noticed that white Rapha gear tends to yellow pretty quickly. I have a 1-month old pro climbers jersey and it's already showing some yellowing around the collar after 4 or 5 wears. It's not something you notice unless you really look at it but it's worth noting.

weisan
08-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Just about the only thing that still looks kinda new after extensive use is a titanium Moots. :p:hello:

SlackMan
08-13-2015, 09:42 PM

With that said, I've noticed that white Rapha gear tends to yellow pretty quickly. I have a 1-month old pro climbers jersey and it's already showing some yellowing around the collar after 4 or 5 wears. It's not something you notice unless you really look at it but it's worth noting.

That's 'cause white is not an 'epic' color. Only black is. Indeed, I'm not even sure that white Rapha clothing is authentic Rapha clothing, even if it is purchased directly from Rapha. /

This is coming from some who owns no Rapha clothing, but who about 30 minutes ago ordered some black cycling socks from Pearl Izumi. :D

rustychisel
08-13-2015, 09:46 PM
when listing Rapha items and describing their condition...

unused >>>>> vanity
slightly used >>>>> sublime
much used >>>>> epic

Kirk007
08-13-2015, 11:16 PM
Seriously, the OP posts a warning to be careful buying kit and it turns into a bag on Rapha marketing thread again?!

Hard to tell tongue in cheek from foot in mouth on the 'net. Note to actual haters - I've got some epic like new primal kit from the 90s, lightly used, only a little polyester pilling and pulls. You just can't kill those clingy polyester beasties. Priced to sell.no returns.

campy man
08-14-2015, 12:00 AM
Just about the only thing that still looks kinda new after extensive use is a titanium Moots. :p:hello:

Yeah ... what he said :beer:

Elefantino
08-14-2015, 12:15 AM
No one has mentioned Chinese Rapha, but there is a lot of it out there.

pdmtong
08-14-2015, 12:22 AM

what? That's my heritage and I wear Rapha...waddya saying Mike?

JUST KIDDING!

Louis
08-14-2015, 12:23 AM
As one of the longstanding Rapha haters on the forum, about all I can say is what would you expect?

Everyone knows that only low-life cheaters, liars and double-crossers would ever purchase Rapha kit in the first place, so one should not be surprised that the flippers' marketing schemes are on par with the initial epic marketing by the manufacturer.

(In case you couldn't tell, that was a joke, including the "hater" part - I prefer to think of myself as a Rapha-skeptic. :p )

jimoots
08-14-2015, 12:24 AM

lol well played

I know your comment was a joke - but it got me curious - is anyone successfully faking Rapha yet. Answer appears to be no.

Note: they turned a 2pc jersey/gilet combo into a 1pc jersey.

http://i.imgur.com/G206KI8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Aa26OJf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oPLZOhY.jpg

People complain about Rapha fleecing the public... this guy lost $25 on this kit!

Louis
08-14-2015, 12:38 AM
lNote: they turned a 2pc jersey/gilet combo into a 1pc jersey.

And apparently developed a new type of dandelion seed puff-ball helmet...

jimoots
08-14-2015, 12:42 AM
The poor guy was too embarrased to post his face with the review.

Here's the review if anyone wants a friday chuckle https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/2cqpch/heres_my_review_of_the_chinese_aftermarket_rapha/

peanutgallery
08-14-2015, 08:32 AM
Chapha

peanutgallery
08-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Duuude, WTH? Is that a football tee in your pocket or something:)

lol well played

I know your comment was a joke - but it got me curious - is anyone successfully faking Rapha yet. Answer appears to be no.

http://i.imgur.com/oPLZOhY.jpg

People complain about Rapha fleecing the public... this guy lost $25 on this kit!

tumbler
08-14-2015, 10:19 AM
The paneling on those shorts is epic.

Dave B
08-14-2015, 10:31 AM
I thought Rapha was only used for epic riding adventures, which only a few are able to fully appreciate in black and white.

hence, the "seasoning" of the kit is what makes it so real.

Hell, if they made it for fat people I would love to wear it...they don't so I buy crap from china that looks like castelli and works perfectly for me.

bicycletricycle
08-14-2015, 10:58 AM
this is a strange thread.

used clothing is used

ask for more pics if you cant tell what kind of shape it is in, just like anything else.

gavingould
08-14-2015, 07:46 PM
can we just ban any posts about Rapha already?

oldpotatoe
08-15-2015, 06:45 AM
can we just ban any posts about Rapha already?

Only if you ban posts about sram too..naw..too much fun..

velomonkey
08-15-2015, 09:10 AM

10 bucks says Rapha comes out with the exact same looking jersey - a single jersey but it looks like a 'gilet' over a jerey - they call it the Gilsey - for those Epic rides when it's cold, but you're hot.