PDA

View Full Version : Nols

malcolm
08-13-2015, 11:40 AM
The outdoor leadership schools. Anyone every done one of these or know anyone first hand that has. My daughter, 15, wants to do the tetons backpacking next summer. Thoughts would be appreciated.

http://www.nols.edu/

forgot way off topic in header, sorry

jdp211
08-13-2015, 11:44 AM
NOLS is a great organization. I've never done their extended trips, but know a few who used to lead them and they're all awesome people. I took a couple of their first aid courses (at varying levels) and have nothing but good words about them.

Another worth looking at is Overland Summers (bias warning, I did a bunch of their trips when I was in high school and worked there for a couple of summers). They're also a top notch group that's super committed to providing amazing experiences.

Kirk007
08-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Haven't personally but have a number of friends who have and/or have been instructors. Now this was a decade or more ago, so things may have changed, but if it is what it was, then I think it would be an outstanding, potentially life changing experience for any young person.

msl819
08-13-2015, 11:57 AM
I took a group out to NOLS outside of Tucson, AZ about eight years ago. It was a week long backpacking/hiking trip through what I believe were the Galieros mountains in the spring. Doubt that is spelled right. There were top notch. Great leaders, equipment was very capable and provided, and overall just a great trip. I appreciated that they didn't coddle our group and instead made our group take responsibility for ourselves. They were there to help and guide but they were not about hauling your gear or doing the things that were yours to do. That was good for the group we brought.

drewellison
08-13-2015, 12:34 PM
I can't comment on that particular organization or their program. But I wanted to share my viewpoint looking back as a parent of (mostly) grown children.

If one of my kids wanted to do an outdoorsy thing like this, I'd enthusiastically support her/him - cover all the costs, etc. Okay, maybe say you cover your pizza delivery costs, I'll cover the rest.

I did not grow up a Boy Scout or going camping or hiking or even trail-walking because my folks didn't do it. I didn't do that stuff with my kids so they didn't learn it either. But now I see where I, and my kids, have missed out on a very big part of their education - learning an appreciation for the great outdoors, and the necessary skills of self-support, setting a path and following it, and deciding if you're a leader or a follower.

It's not too late for me to learn, but if my kids do, they'll have to learn it on their own.

Besides, it's a hell of lot healthier than staying home playing computer games, or going to the mall with your friends.

Drew

professerr
08-13-2015, 12:54 PM
It has been many years since I did any of these trips, but NOLS programs and staff have a well-deserved sterling reputations. She might want to consider Outward Bound as well, which has more varied programs and less emphasis on the Leadership aspect of NOLS.

PeregrineA1
08-13-2015, 12:59 PM
I have a close friend that did a course with them in the 70's and it was life changing in a positive way. He carries those lessons today. Since then I have interacted with several people that have done the courses and all were enthusiastic about them.

I have read and reread Paul Petzold's book on backpacking/mountaineering and it is excellent. In fact, I need to read again soon.

moose8
08-13-2015, 01:26 PM
My buddy did one in alaska though it was like 20 years ago. He loved it. It sounded pretty hard core in that they were off the grid for quite awhile.

Bradford
08-13-2015, 01:51 PM
I have heard nothing but positive things from people who have done them. I have heard the term life-changing several times.

I just got back from four days in the Flat Tops with my 9 year old, his first multi night trip. One of the big reasons I moved out west is so my kids would grow up with nature and not with cities. He had a great time and can't wait to get out there again. I think you should support your daughter's wish...it should be a great experience for her.

tiretrax
08-13-2015, 02:08 PM
NOLS has a great reputation. I agree with everything written in prior posts, including that some find it life changing. Overland is popular, too. I think it may be a little more cushy, but I have no experience with either.

The Tetons is one of the most beautiful and inspiring areas of the country. If one of my children came to me and asked, I'd agree without hesitation.

08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
I was a NOLS instructor for a few years and been active in the leadership and governance side there. NOLS has struggled financially because it has adhered to a very high-minded and idealistic set of goals. Outward Bound basically simplified the challenges to the point where they are mostly just exercises you learn from, while NOLS kept mostly to more demanding programs that really test the limits of a participant. It does ask a lot of the participant -- you carry big loads, your group is really on its own, largely without backup, on many of the programs, etc. The kids at Outward Bound tend to be fairly homogenous, while NOLS encourages a lot more diversity -- you meet recovering drug addicts, recovering alcoholics, schizophrenics, victims of various kinds of abuse, kids being pushed intensely by their parents, kids without parents, you name it. The kids bond because it quickly becomes kids against nature rather than kids against kids. Very strong group dynamics. I'm totally a believer in it, and personally feel Outward Bound has become more of a corporate team building organization, but everyone has their own views. Your daughter is taking on something pretty significant and that she's asking to do so says something -- she's researched it, she probably knows what's involved, etc. The Teton program is a pretty low-key one, all things considered (I ran dogsled trips around Denali, a trip building a new base camp on Aconcagua and supporting a major handicapped climbing group, an ocean-to-ocean trip over the spine of Costa Rica from Caribbean to Pacific, etc.).

I wouldn't be worried about her on this trip. The instructors are first class -- best in the business -- and the programs build teamwork very rapidly. It's closer to boot camp than a social outing, at least in terms of intensity. (I used to take members of a class I ran on a day hike first, one that did 5200 feet of non-technical elevation in 6 miles, just to see how each one performed and handled stress.) The training and materials are first rate. She'll come away with much more than in almost any other program.

wgp
08-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Not a lot to add to what has already been said, but my son (now 18) did the Tetons trip with NOLS a few years ago and it was a great experience for him! I'm an enthusiastic supporter of it.

malcolm
08-13-2015, 03:00 PM
thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a lucky parent she's a great kid

Birddog
08-13-2015, 06:55 PM
I enrolled my son in Outward Bound when he was 14. He spent 14 days in the Gila Wilderness of NM and they challenged him. The biggest challenge was helping the overweight and or out of shape and unprepared kids that were part of his team. When he was a little older we discussed the pros and cons of his experience and he said it was good but that he felt like NOLs was a better format. Now at age 33 he just finished hiking the Colorado Trail, so I guess some of it stuck.
One of the things that stuck out for him was toward the end of the trek they were left in solitude with no contact with other members of the team and instructed to try to experience a vision quest. After 24 hrs by himself he was pretty sure that his totem or spirit was a pepperoni pizza since that is all he could envision for most of the 24 hrs.