PDA

View Full Version : Training software for a high school kid?

ANAO
08-13-2015, 08:24 AM
I recently hooked up with a high schooler who's an absolute phenom. I'd like to start training him this winter for next race season, and it seems like Strava is an easy option (pair it with Zwift, and I can see what he's doing), as would be Golden Cheetah if he had a power meter.

The question is, what kind of visibility can I have with him from an inexpensive standpoint?

Is Training Peaks still free?
Are there any inexpensive GPS units strava supports (he's in high school ∴ no smart phone)?

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

cderalow
08-13-2015, 09:07 AM
$100/year and trainer road has worked for me.

you can view his progress online just by looking at his profile.

kramnnim
08-13-2015, 09:22 AM
An old smartphone will record the GPS data with Strava, even if it is not on on a cell network. Might be cheaper than the cheapest Garmin...

ANAO
08-13-2015, 09:32 AM
An old smartphone will record the GPS data with Strava, even if it is not on on a cell network. Might be cheaper than the cheapest Garmin...

Is that true? I have an old droid I can give him.

thegunner
08-13-2015, 09:38 AM
Is that true? I have an old droid I can give him.

GPS is not cellular. GPS is... just GPS. this is true.

ANAO
08-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Very helpful.

GPS is not service-based then. Interesting.

AngryScientist
08-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Very helpful.

GPS is not service-based then. Interesting.

sure, you dont need service to buy a garmin you stick on your bars or the windshield of a car, etc.

ANAO
08-13-2015, 09:48 AM
sure, you dont need service to buy a garmin you stick on your bars or the windshield of a car, etc.

I didn't think of it like that.

MattTuck
08-13-2015, 10:00 AM
You can get a TickerX from Wahoo, and it will interface with the bluetooth from his phone.

Or train based on RPE.

I'm not sure why you need GPS at all, honestly.

People trained with RPE and/or and HRM for many years.

GPS is not really a training aid, so much as a way to record where you went. Strava and others will work with a phone, if you're just interested in seeing where he rides.

ANAO
08-13-2015, 10:13 AM
You can get a TickerX from Wahoo, and it will interface with the bluetooth from his phone.

Or train based on RPE.

I'm not sure why you need GPS at all, honestly.

People trained with RPE and/or and HRM for many years.

GPS is not really a training aid, so much as a way to record where you went. Strava and others will work with a phone, if you're just interested in seeing where he rides.

Yes.
This. I want to see what he's doing.

kramnnim
08-13-2015, 10:49 AM
The one issue you may have is if the current version of Strava is not compatible with the version of Android on the phone? But yeah, I carried an old Android around as a backup on a long ride in the Alps, my Garmin died after ~11 hours, phone kept going and still had lots of battery left when I finished.