PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some Colorado Springs info

trener1
08-13-2015, 07:50 AM
I'm headed out to Colorado Springs for a week.
Looking for any and all info on Places to rent or borrow a road bike.
Any good routs to hit?
Any Group rides?
Also any info on food/beer is welcome :)

malcolm
08-13-2015, 09:16 AM
The rabbit hole is a cool restaurant with a good beer menu. It's in an old mortuary sorta down under street level.

Bristol brewing and the restaurant next door is really good.

Didn't ride but did do some local tail running that was very nice.

It's been a couple years since we were there.

cetuximab
08-13-2015, 09:29 AM
I am here in Pueblo. You can road bike or Mtn bike up pikes. 14,100ft.

Red rock canyon had some cool trails.

http://redrockcanyonopenspace.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/RRC_Brochure-copy.pdf

Come to pueblo. I think our south shore pueblo reservoir trails are better.

Ken Robb
08-13-2015, 09:31 AM
I rode a trail along a river that cut through the back of the Air Force Academy on a rented mtn. bike. I could have done it on a road bike. It's not a ride for race training but was a very pleasant "country" ride. I rented from a nice shop very near the trail but I don't remember its name.

SlackMan
08-13-2015, 09:59 AM
A must see is Garden of the Gods, whether on bike or in car. Google it for pics if you have not heard of it.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2015, 10:05 AM
A must see is Garden of the Gods, whether on bike or in car. Google it for pics if you have not heard of it.

And Manitou Springs unless the recent flooding tore it up.

mgm777
08-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Easy C-Springs cruiser rides
-Garden of the Gods
-USAF Academy Loop (if security conditions are allowing entry)
-Pikes Peak Greenway Trail -- runs from the AFA (North) through Colorado Springs to the South.
Challenging
-Pikes Peak

BlueFly
08-13-2015, 10:44 AM
That's one for the bucket list! Thanks.

sw3759
08-13-2015, 03:38 PM
i spent a few days in manitou springs a couple of weeks ago.didnt see any issues due to the flooding that was mentioned.i did go thru garden of the gods and it looked like it would be a great bike ride,amazing scenery.but the weather was pretty nasty the time of day we were there.rode up pikes peak the next day.its a pretty tough 27 mile ride from downtown to the summit but worth the effort
another fun thing to do there is the manitou incline.just a short walk from downtown to the base.a good workout if a bike ride isnt an option.i did back to back ascents the day before pikes peak and in hindsight probably no the best preparation but enjoyed it none the less
had my own bike with me so no info on rentals unless you want to rent a bike at the base of pikes peak and coast down.i saw that near the pikes pike hiway entrance and saw bunches of them the coming down the mountain.

trener1
08-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the replies, please keep 'em coming.
If anyone is in CS and would like to do a ride I'd be up for that.

trener1
08-18-2015, 09:53 AM
I am wondering if you guys can chime in what it's like to climb up Pikes Peak? what is the grade like? is it super hard? how long (ball park) would it take?.

gdw
08-18-2015, 10:12 AM
The Barr Trail to the peak is 12.8 miles, climbs roughly 7900ft, and the average grade is 11 percent. Here's a link to a website with more info on it.
http://barrtrail.net/
If you're in good shape, traveling at a moderate pace, and used to the altitude it isn't difficult and probably will take you 5-6 hours to reach the summit. The weather can change rapidly, it can snow in August, so be prepared.

trener1
08-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Is this trail for riding?

gdw
08-18-2015, 11:00 AM
"Is this trail for riding? "

Only if you're extremely fit and a skilled trials rider.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm used to people using the term climb to describe hikes when it comes to 14ers.

trener1
08-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Ok no worries, that's what I thought.

chuckred
08-19-2015, 06:47 AM
The Barr Trail to the peak is 12.8 miles, climbs roughly 7900ft, and the average grade is 11 percent. Here's a link to a website with more info on it.
http://barrtrail.net/
If you're in good shape, traveling at a moderate pace, and used to the altitude it isn't difficult and probably will take you 5-6 hours to reach the summit. The weather can change rapidly, it can snow in August, so be prepared.

You can take the cog rail back down. Or half way up, hike to top, then ride down. The donuts are supposed to be great, but the machine was ooo last summer...