PDA

View Full Version : A charming Amsterdam bike shop

CMiller
08-13-2015, 12:54 AM
Found this video through another forum.

I love so much about this. The personalities, welding EVERYTHING, a makeshift stand for 50 pound bikes, a darling old lady making sandwiches. Worth a watch.

https://vimeo.com/133432406

buldogge
08-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Love it.

Love Amsterdam, and this film really captures the feel of The "everyday/everyman" Jordaan.

Thanks for posting that.

-Mark in St. Louis

R3awak3n
08-13-2015, 09:22 AM
this was pretty great.

roguedog
08-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks. Makes me want to go.

redir
08-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Wonderful, fantastic little film thanks for posting.

tumbler
08-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Great film and a great city to visit. One of my all time favorites.

ultraman6970
08-13-2015, 01:01 PM
Amazing... im my country all neighborhood shops are like that... super small, nothing fancy but the people inside is really warm and friendly, never wanting to overcharge you, even working out with you if something goes over what you can really pay.

bikinchris
08-13-2015, 06:54 PM
I think I would like to be a mechanic in a shop like that. I love how the bike is king in Netherlands.
BUT, they do not consider themselves 'cyclists' there.

JAllen
08-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Great video. "What a Belgian way of doing that..." haha

Mzilliox
08-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Its also a really well shot film, and has wonderful philosophical implications. I love it so much. I made my wife sit down and watch it with me a couple weeks ago on the big screen.

Johnny P
08-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Thanks for posting. A great video.

velotrack
08-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the excellent watch. Well filmed and presented - definitely worth the 12 minutes.

ctcyclistbob
08-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Wow, that was really cool. Like the others said, thank you for posting it. Well worth watching ...

JeffS
08-13-2015, 09:49 PM
Thx for sharing.

cv1966
08-13-2015, 09:58 PM
I think I would like to be a mechanic in a shop like that. I love how the bike is king in Netherlands.
BUT, they do not consider themselves 'cyclists' there.

To me that's what makes it great. The Dutch ride bikes because it's part of everyday life. How many in the U.S. feel that their bikes are like their legs?

Great video, thanks to the OP

dustyrider
08-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Its also a really well shot film, and has wonderful philosophical implications. I love it so much. I made my wife sit down and watch it with me a couple weeks ago on the big screen.

The whole bike as my legs mentality is really interesting!
The idea of being free where you work is such an amazing feeling.
You give as good as you get, and the profit is somehow always in your favor.

I love the little lady; her bike is sick.

That was wonderful thanks for sharing here!

oldpotatoe
08-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Found this video through another forum.

I love so much about this. The personalities, welding EVERYTHING, a makeshift stand for 50 pound bikes, a darling old lady making sandwiches. Worth a watch.

https://vimeo.com/133432406

Great little video. A couple of things come to mind.

-looks cold in there..makes the day long
-I have been in shops where you get commuter bikes, and the condition they are in. Most are very grateful for doing something simple to get the thing up and running, like the old gent with the broken brake cable stop. And even tho what the guy did seemed 'amazing, he didn't charge and arm and leg for it
-I've also worked on 'moving target' bike stands-makes the day long
-employees that come late, kinda like child-care sometimes
-NO SEWER??
-welding w/o glasses..yikes

Whole different solar system, there with the bikes they ride. I imagine places like this in the US..but for cars.

Very enjoyable.

thwart
08-14-2015, 06:44 AM
What a great way to start the day.

Thanks!

However... it makes me sad that we don't have a bit more bike-centric culture here...

tuxbailey
08-14-2015, 07:05 AM
Very charming.

goonster
08-14-2015, 02:09 PM
"What a Belgian way to do it . . . " Heh, heh.

I like the angle grinder and huge pliers he has laying there right next to the workstation, like they are his most frequently used tools.

laupsi
08-15-2015, 06:35 AM
wonderful, just wonderful. freeze time. i'm going there!

Shoeman
08-15-2015, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;Whole different solar system, there with the bikes they ride. I imagine places like this in the US..but for cars. [/QUOTE]

I worked in a Shop just like this, it was Inner-City St. Louis, Mo. mid 90's. I was between careers. I knew the owner, Shop had been there for years. Worked on old Huffy's, Murray's, Roadmaster's etc. all day long. No heat or very little in the winter, no AC in the summer. Recycled the metal & alloys ourselves for added profit. Parts everywhere wheels, frames & components with people coming & going all day. Meals daily (courtesy of the owners Father). I really enjoyed my time there, helped a lot of people who couldn't afford a nice bike & I learned how to wrench on a bike.

buldogge
08-15-2015, 10:59 AM
What shop are you referring to, out of curiosity? A&M??

-Mark in St. Louis

I worked in a Shop just like this, it was Inner-City St. Louis, Mo. mid 90's. I was between careers. I knew the owner, Shop had been there for years. Worked on old Huffy's, Murray's, Roadmaster's etc. all day long. No heat or very little in the winter, no AC in the summer. Recycled the metal & alloys ourselves for added profit. Parts everywhere wheels, frames & components with people coming & going all day. Meals daily (courtesy of the owners Father). I really enjoyed my time there, helped a lot of people who couldn't afford a nice bike & I learned how to wrench on a bike.

fiamme red
08-15-2015, 08:12 PM
That was a great video. Thanks for posting!

Llewellyn
08-16-2015, 04:25 AM
Brilliant!!