PDA

View Full Version : Tips for drop bar configuration to flat bar

henrypretz
08-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Our venerable Burley Rock N Roll tandem is currently a drop bar setup, 3 x 10 speed. Shimano 6603 shifters, square taper tandem cranks, 5600 FD, 5700 RD, V brakes with travel agents.
I want to go to a flat bar set up. I would prefer to use as much of the existing drivetrain as I can. We don't ride it as much as we'd like to, so economy is high on my list. I envision a lower key bike that would still be capable of rides up to 3+ hours at an easier than frenetic pace.
My understanding is that Shimano makes flat bar road shifters (4603?) Check me on this, but I believe the 4603 would work with the FD/RD as is. Add the appropriate brake levers and go.
Anyone out there have experience with these shifters? This is definitely not your high performance ride. On the other hand, it's no fun fighting funky shifting on any ride.
Any other alternatives that I might consider?
Any insight, input, or experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Paceline!
Henry

oldpotatoe
08-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Our venerable Burley Rock N Roll tandem is currently a drop bar setup, 3 x 10 speed. Shimano 6603 shifters, square taper tandem cranks, 5600 FD, 5700 RD, V brakes with travel agents.
I want to go to a flat bar set up. I would prefer to use as much of the existing drivetrain as I can. We don't ride it as much as we'd like to, so economy is high on my list. I envision a lower key bike that would still be capable of rides up to 3+ hours at an easier than frenetic pace.
My understanding is that Shimano makes flat bar road shifters (4603?) Check me on this, but I believe the 4603 would work with the FD/RD as is. Add the appropriate brake levers and go.
Anyone out there have experience with these shifters? This is definitely not your high performance ride. On the other hand, it's no fun fighting funky shifting on any ride.
Any other alternatives that I might consider?
Any insight, input, or experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Paceline!
Henry

Rear der, yes but I think you have to get a specific 4603 front der.

henrypretz
08-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Rear der, yes but I think you have to get a specific 4603 front der.
Thanks Peter. Is that FD specifically for the flat bar shifters, or will any 4603 FD work?
BTW - this tandem is rolling on 40 spoke Aeroheat/HF08 wheels that you built for us :banana:

Slow Eddie
08-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Would a moustache bar be flat enough? Then you might not have to swap anything out.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks Peter. Is that FD specifically for the flat bar shifters, or will any 4603 FD work?
BTW - this tandem is rolling on 40 spoke Aeroheat/HF08 wheels that you built for us :banana:

Flat bar shifter. Glad the wheels are working for you

henrypretz
08-12-2015, 11:18 PM
I actually have a set of moustache bars, but I'm not big on using STI shifters with them. I'm hoping for a riser bar with trigger shifter.

Would a moustache bar be flat enough? Then you might not have to swap anything out.

henrypretz
08-12-2015, 11:20 PM
The flat bar FD R453 is designated 9 speed. Will that work ok with 10 speed?

oldpotatoe
08-13-2015, 05:43 AM
The flat bar FD R453 is designated 9 speed. Will that work ok with 10 speed?

It should. Usually the 9s fder with 10s works better than the other way around..9s shifters 10s front der.

cderalow
08-13-2015, 09:06 AM
the 4603 F-der works with the flat or sti shifters correctly. there's no variation between f-ders for road bikes beyond clamp size v braze on

with a v-brake you'll want a mountain bike brake lever and remove the travel agents.

Ken C
08-13-2015, 09:54 AM
The flat bar shifters use a different cable pull ratio for the f der. They require the use of a specific f der. You can get a normal road f der to work, but it is not ideal. It will not shift nearly as well.

the 4603 F-der works with the flat or sti shifters correctly. there's no variation between f-ders for road bikes beyond clamp size v braze on

with a v-brake you'll want a mountain bike brake lever and remove the travel agents.

josephr
08-13-2015, 10:51 AM
I've the same the set-up on one bike here...use the Tiagra 4600 3x10 flat bar shifters with 105 5700 components no problem.