PDA

View Full Version : Woohooo! I'm part of 'The One-Percent'

SlackMan
08-12-2015, 08:14 AM
The graphic below is from a WSJ article today reporting that commuters lose weight. I knew that not many people commute to work by bicycle, but I am surprised that the fraction is less than one percent. It's growing rapidly, though. Any guesses on how high the fraction will grow in the next five years? Ten years?

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/PJ-CC936A_COMMU_16U_20150811152106.jpg

seanile
08-12-2015, 08:15 AM
how often do you have to ride to work to be considered a bike-commuter?

JAllen
08-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Too bad driving alone went up and carpooling took a hit...

ANAO
08-12-2015, 09:02 AM
I ride in twice? a week. Am I 1%-er?

Saint Vitus
08-12-2015, 09:05 AM
I'm in the super majority!

Sure I'd commute more often, but I start work at 6:30, leave at 4:30 and I have a 13-15 mile (depending on route) trek so that adds an hour each way to my 10 hour day. And with shorter days ahead, biking home in the dark is just not something I look forward to...

Idris Icabod
08-12-2015, 11:16 AM
how often do you have to ride to work to be considered a bike-commuter?

I believe expectations are low. My company offers a reimbursement for bicycle commuters in which they give you $20/month to cover tyres, tubes etc. and the threshold is 3 times per month!

We have about 80 people here and I would say 10% commute via bicycle most (4-5 days per week) of the time.

tiretrax
08-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Too bad driving alone went up and carpooling took a hit...

Blame it on fracking. Cheap gasoline means more people driving and buying large trucks and SUV's.

tiretrax
08-12-2015, 11:26 AM
I believe expectations are low. My company offers a reimbursement for bicycle commuters in which they give you $20/month to cover tyres, tubes etc. and the threshold is 3 times per month!

We have about 80 people here and I would say 10% commute via bicycle most (4-5 days per week) of the time.

There was something under consideration here, but it never worked out. That would be nice.

Anarchist
08-12-2015, 11:32 AM
I ride in twice? a week. Am I 1%-er?

No.

You are a 2.5%'er

Idris Icabod
08-12-2015, 12:40 PM
There was something under consideration here, but it never worked out. That would be nice.

I believe it doesn't actually cost the company money and that it is a tax incentive (but I could be talking bollocks, like Seinfeld I don't know what a 'write-off' is). It took a determined guy here pushing our HR department rather aggressively to get it done. if you want me to ask the guy who got it done anything about it let me know and I'll go see if he has any specific details that may help you have it implemented.

On the whole our company is very bike commuter friendly. We have showers with towels and a secure bike storage area that they put in a shade/rain structure above.

bcroslin
08-12-2015, 12:46 PM
The fact that public transportation is up is positive.

JAllen
08-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Blame it on fracking. Cheap gasoline means more people driving and buying large trucks and SUV's.

Gross. "I'm going to buy a bigger vehicle so I feel safe" in reality they are the reason why the roads are becoming less safe. More vehicles, larger vehicles, crumbling infrastructure, poorly designed infrastructure, distracted driving on a scale never seen by society, grossly inappropriate ideology on driving privileges, I could go on...

bikerboy337
08-12-2015, 01:33 PM
I get to commute by bike a few days a week during the summer, i love it so much... nice slow rides, taking my time along the blackstone river into work... on days like today, i get about 37 miles round trip... usually, i just do the ride once way, and have my car at the other end... so its 18 miles a day...

only have 3 weeks left though as once school starts, i have other obligations and I have to sneak out a few days a week for 1 hour rides...

I wish i was closer so I could commute more during the year, just doesn't work to drop kids off at school then ride 18 miles into work...

Likes2ridefar
08-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Used to be in the 1% for a number of years, but times have been tough and I now land in the 1.8% category.

brockd15
08-12-2015, 01:46 PM
At least I'm a 1%er in something. We have one car and my wife uses it, so I'm a full time bike commuter.

moose8
08-12-2015, 02:22 PM
At least I'm a 1%er in something. We have one car and my wife uses it, so I'm a full time bike commuter.

Same here - I was pretty sure I'd never be a 1%er but what do you know, I am solidly there.

rugbysecondrow
08-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Gross. "I'm going to buy a bigger vehicle so I feel safe" in reality they are the reason why the roads are becoming less safe. More vehicles, larger vehicles, crumbling infrastructure, poorly designed infrastructure, distracted driving on a scale never seen by society, grossly inappropriate ideology on driving privileges, I could go on...

This is often repeated, but I think not always true. Many cars seems bigger, they are only really taller though. Cars from the 50,60,70 and even 80's were wide and long. Many SUVs are unnecessary, over built, they lack the space the owner believes they have, but are they worse than previous generations?

There are problems with drivers and cars, and urban sprawl, but to call it an inappropriate ideology misses the point.

Blame cities which allow sprawling development, states which build commuter routes which provide a disincentive to infill development. Blame individuals for passing the buck to their neighbors. It isn't just driving, it is our life as a whole which needs tinkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAllen
08-12-2015, 06:25 PM
This is often repeated, but I think not always true. Many cars seems bigger, they are only really taller though. Cars from the 50,60,70 and even 80's were wide and long. Many SUVs are unnecessary, over built, they lack the space the owner believes they have, but are they worse than previous generations?

There are problems with drivers and cars, and urban sprawl, but to call it an inappropriate ideology misses the point.

Blame cities which allow sprawling development, states which build commuter routes which provide a disincentive to infill development. Blame individuals for passing the buck to their neighbors. It isn't just driving, it is our life as a whole which needs tinkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said and I wouldn't disagree. I'd say you're taking a look at the bigger picture which leads to what I'm complaining about.

Good point about the size of cars. Even though there are less "boats" on the road there are more cars out there. If it isn't worse it feels worse.

sg8357
08-12-2015, 07:33 PM

Highway trust fund is going bust, roads will be back to dirt and gravel in
a couple generations. Better for the environment and keeps taxes low.