PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here driven a Smart Car long term?

Shortsocks
08-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Hey folks.

Mrs.Shortsocks and I are contemplating picking up a Smart Car. Actually the Electric version of it. The Lease on our Nissan Leaf is about to end and I came by a crazy good price on a Electric Smart car.

I was wondering if anyone here has driven a Smart Car long term, doesn't have to be Electric, just normal Smart would do. There aren't many of them in Dallas, SUV/Truck country, so we were just curious. We have a Full gassed power car, this would just be for commuting, grocery shopping, tooling around town. Things of that nature.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Socks.

Ken Robb
08-11-2015, 12:24 PM
I have read several stories/road tests where the gas models were panned completely. They might be somewhat "smart" in countries where it's legal to park nose-in to the curb (kerb?) in what is normally a parallel parking zone but for all the comfort, handling, safety they sacrifice they require premium fuel and don't get very good mileage. A Prius is probably a better choice for almost everyone. The only all-electirc car I have driven was one of those GM that leased 15-18 years ago. I thought they were on the right track. The pwer-train was fine for city driving but the ride/handling was not so good probably due to the VERY stiff tires chosen for minimal rolling resistance. For reasons known to them GM directors decided to put that project on the shelf.

Idris Icabod
08-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Not much of a review but the neighbor next to my parents back in the UK has one and it doesn't get driven much, they take their Range Rover (not so environmentally aware after all)! My brother told me the ride isn't very nice, something to do with essentially sitting on top of the axel.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2015, 12:35 PM
The comments and reviews I've hear (gas car) have also been pretty poor.

Do we have the electric golf yet? The mk7 gets great reviews. I would think the electric version retains a lot of that character.

Shortsocks
08-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Not much of a review but the neighbor next to my parents back in the UK has one and it doesn't get driven much, they take their Range Rover (not so environmentally aware after all)! My brother told me the ride isn't very nice, something to do with essentially sitting on top of the axel.

That's what we thought too. It has such a freakishly short wheelbase that after driving a normal car speedbumps feel lots different. It was completely a different car to drive that was for sure, but we don't know if diff is good or bad.

I drove one in Italy but it was a stick with a Diesel Engine and it was was fun as nuts...but that's Rome. Nothing bigger than a fiat works.

Shortsocks
08-11-2015, 12:39 PM
The comments and reviews I've hear (gas car) have also been pretty poor.

Do we have the electric golf yet? The mk7 gets great reviews. I would think the electric version retains a lot of that character.

Those have great reviews. But I'll be getting this to BUY for close to 10k. Brand new. Not a lease, a buy. It's a really REALLY good deal. The new Golf, Leaf specially the Golf have higher lease prices, with a few grand down. I can't stand cars, and after NOT paying for gas for 3 years, it's impossible to go back.

SeanScott
08-11-2015, 12:40 PM
A friend of mine lent us one for 5 months. Great little car for doing around the town errands. They are actually very roomy for two people.
It is hard to consider it a serious car though. I had to take it on the freeway a few times and I was terrified. When a big truck comes up behind you it is very frightening. The best times I had in it was letting my 6 year old drive it around our neighborhood (on my lap)
For the money I much rather have better quality car. I know it it probably double the price but I rather have the Fiat 500e.

I once picked up a friend of mine who is 6"4" and a tattooed-up Chopper guy that is very image conscience. It was awesome to parade him around town in the smart.

The one thing I never got to do that would have been fun would be to draft behind it and take down some KOMs.

I would say that if the price is right it is great for around town.

Steve in SLO
08-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Not directly compatible, but as a data point I have recently leased a Fiat 500e, which is one heck of a fun car to drive. It, too has a short wheelbase, which is a plus around town. On the freeway at 80 it gets a bit twitchy, however.
I have a truck and a Porsche GT3 which I rarely get driven. The Fiat is just so easy to hop in and go. Around town, I would imagine the Smartcar would have that same easy feeling.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Those have great reviews. But I'll be getting this to BUY for close to 10k. Brand new. Not a lease, a buy. It's a really REALLY good deal. The new Golf, Leaf specially the Golf have higher lease prices, with a few grand down. I can't stand cars, and after NOT paying for gas for 3 years, it's impossible to go back.

10k for a new car? What is msrp on these things? that sounds like pretty cheap city transportation.

Shortsocks
08-11-2015, 12:54 PM
10k for a new car? What is msrp on these things? that sounds like pretty cheap city transportation.

Yea. A guy owes me a huge favor. :)
It's extremely cheap, and it has 5 year warranty, 10 years on the battery. Kind of fell in my lap.

Oh and the Fiat E is badass...but welcome to Texas....not for sale in this state. F if I know why. Same thing for the Elextric Toyota RAV4. No for sale here too.

SeanScott
08-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Not directly compatible, but as a data point I have recently leased a Fiat 500e, which is one heck of a fun car to drive. It, too has a short wheelbase, which is a plus around town. On the freeway at 80 it gets a bit twitchy, however.
I have a truck and a Porsche GT3 which I rarely get driven. The Fiat is just so easy to hop in and go. Around town, I would imagine the Smartcar would have that same easy feeling.

You have a GT3?
Good God you are a lucky man. What is a comparable bicycle. Something brutally fast and dangerous?

There is a car collector here in town that has everything from old Jaguar D-types, Enzo, Ford GT, mclaren f1, ect.....
His two favorite cars out of all of them? An Abarth 500 and John Cooper Works Mini.

572cv
08-11-2015, 01:10 PM
I have a neighbor with a Smart. But.... he managed to get in a diesel with a stick shift. He has a lot of fun with it. He has been driving it around here for the last four years with no issues.

He also has a Saab Monte Carlo. He likes his cars to be just-so.

Ti Designs
08-11-2015, 01:26 PM
I've been looking for a car that's less practical than my CRX single seater race car. The Smart car clearly isn't it, but the number of electric cars showing up and Tesla's performance numbers on their 90KWH upgrade have me thinking about a battery instead of a fuel tank.

eddief
08-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Love the front LED dtrl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32-lqdoI0p8

cp43
08-11-2015, 01:40 PM
A friend of mine had a gas powered Smart car. He liked it, expect for handling in the snow, seeing that you live in Dallas, that probably won't be an issue for you. I never rode in it though, so no personal experience.

p nut
08-11-2015, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I'd just jump on that. What's the worst case scenario? You hate it and make $$ on resale.

I've been looking for a car that's less practical than my CRX single seater race car. The Smart car clearly isn't it, but the number of electric cars showing up and Tesla's performance numbers on their 90KWH upgrade have me thinking about a battery instead of a fuel tank.

As a fellow Honda nut, would love to see the CRX. A neighbor's son has a pretty sweet CRX that he unfortunately rolled on a racetrack recently. A pretty pristine yellow Si I see around as well (if I could only catch up with it to offer to buy...).

ptourkin
08-11-2015, 02:35 PM
I've been driving them for a couple years as short-term rentals through Car2Go. My experiences have been good as a renter. Even on the freeway, the car felt fine. It's a good errand car in my experience.

Steve in SLO
08-11-2015, 02:50 PM
You have a GT3?
Good God you are a lucky man. What is a comparable bicycle. Something brutally fast and dangerous?
Under my butt there is nothing comparable. I have a Speedvagen which should be close, but only has a wheezy 2 cylinder motor.