PDA

View Full Version : I'm bouncing back with a little help from my friends

Mr Cabletwitch
08-10-2015, 12:01 PM
About a year and a half ago I was in a dark place going through a divorce and fighting for custody of my son and a few people who I never met on this forum came together and helped rebuild my bike for me after my ex wife took all the parts leaving me with a frame. Here is a picture of the bike in all its rebuilt glory.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11062731_10205737009596772_4849756025733048524_n.j pg?oh=f014287ff92e709fa0c23d295c043fc8&oe=56397233

I haven't been doing much riding with being a single dad and having shared (50/50) custody of my son. Plus working two jobs trying to get the debt my ex wife left me with hasn't left much time, but things are looking up. I just left my second job so I have more time again. I'm moving in with my girlfriend in the next few months and she is supportive of my riding so I'm hoping to get out on two wheels more and more. I'm actually in the best shape of my post college life thanks to running since that's all I could find time for. So I'm doing well hoping to get remarried and add another child to the stable soon. :beer:

The reason for all this is that while I was going through one of the toughest things in my life the kindness of strangers right here on this forum showed me that the world is an OK place. Even now when things get tough I look out into the garage and look at my bike. This old Serotta that was brought back is a symbol of my life rebuilt from a skeleton. Just thinking about the help I received here makes me a little teary eyed.

So a big thanks to those that helped put my bike back together and for every one else around here that gave me words of support and wisdom, hopefully now that my life is coming back together I can hang around this place some more.

noshaver
08-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Great story. Looks like there are still people who can help. Makers my day...

ColnagoFan
08-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Wow, what a story, and I'm so happy you are in a better place than a year ago. It always seems to be darkest before the dawn, glad your sun is up.

I went through some hard times in the recent past, thankfully it hasn't gotten to your level, but the kindness and genuine love for a fellow rider from this forum was tangible. It's a special place.

redir
08-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Great looking bike.

Mzilliox
08-10-2015, 12:45 PM
sometimes a nice long bike ride helps get through tough times. best of luck with your son and great bicycle.

wc1934
08-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Hang in there brother - sounds like you are over the hump - stay positive.

Grateful Dead:
Every silver lining's got a touch of grey
I will get by, I will get by, I will get by, I will survive.

KJMUNC
08-10-2015, 04:07 PM
So great to read stories like this.....glad to hear you're back in a good place and working your way through things.

Also, excellent call on the Dead lyrics. Been listening to them alot lately and there are a couple of versus that come to mind when I read your story:

Box of Rain:

Walk into splintered sunlight
Inch your way through dead dreams
to another land
Maybe you're tired and broken
Your tongue is twisted
with words half spoken
and thoughts unclear
What do you want me to do
to do for you to see you through
A box of rain will ease the pain
and love will see you through

and Brokedown Palace has a little more direct allegory to your cycling situation:

Fare you well my honey
Fare you well my only true one
All the birds that were singing
Have flown except you alone
Going to leave this broke-down palace
On my hands and my knees I will roll roll roll
Make myself a bed by the waterside
In my time, in my time, I will roll roll roll

either way, keep on keeping on......:beer:

Mr Cabletwitch
08-10-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm in a better place then I have been in years!

It finally feels good to be back on the bike. Part of the reason I had a hard time getting on my bike besides the time factor was that my ex's affair was with a local cycling promoter so I had lots of emotions come up on rides

Good news is I'm past that finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikingshearer
08-10-2015, 05:08 PM
^^^ Watch "Breaking Away." Pay special attention to how the Italians deal with Dave. Get a Zefal pump to carry on your bike. If you see Mr. Promoter on the road, do like the Italians.

Okay, don't really. :no: But it's a fun fantasy. :banana:

On a more serious note, I'm glad you made it through what had to be a dark, dark time. I've been there - not exactly your story, but close enough for government work - and I've been on the other side for about 8 years now. Life can, in fact, be wonderful again. I'm delighted you are experiencing that.

Mr Cabletwitch
08-10-2015, 05:11 PM
I avoid local cycling events like the plague for fear of what I would do to him if I saw him. So I've had lots of fantasies about doing the pump in the wheel thing. It always ends with me thanking him though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donevwil
08-10-2015, 06:41 PM
... It always ends with me thanking him though.

Kudos to you, glass half full. Thank you for sharing.

Tandem Rider
08-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Things and life happens, not only is the glass half full, the pitcher is right here, and you can finish the job!

When you're going through he** keep on movin' :beer: