PDA

View Full Version : Sella Italia FLITE KIT CARBONIO FLOW thoughts?

makoti
08-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Sella Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Flow? How does it compare with the SLR series? Padding good or too much? Realize what fits you may not work for me, but it's a starting point.
I have a slew of SLR saddles that have suddenly stopped working for me after years on them. Would like to stay SI (do have an Antares that works well), but need something wider nowadays.

MattTuck
08-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Sella Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Flow? How does it compare with the SLR series? Padding good or too much? Realize what fits you may not work for me, but it's a starting point.
I have a slew of SLR saddles that have suddenly stopped working for me after years on them. Would like to stay SI (do have an Antares that works well), but need something wider nowadays.

I'm not an expert on saddles, but that makes me think that it may be something OTHER than the saddles. Why would a bunch of saddles all start causing problems simultaneously?

Is there something else that changed? Maybe your bibs are worn out, gained/lost weight, changed position on the bike, more miles, etc?

makoti
08-10-2015, 10:24 AM
I'm not an expert on saddles, but that makes me think that it may be something OTHER than the saddles. Why would a bunch of saddles all start causing problems simultaneously?

Is there something else that changed? Maybe your bibs are worn out, gained/lost weight, changed position on the bike, more miles, etc?

I don't know what set it off, but I'm leaning towards a long ago broken ankle starting to wear out & possibly pedaling a bit differently. I went and got fit because of new. odd problems, & it was suggested I try a wider saddle (went with the Antares). The difference was noticeable. Stayed back more, less sliding around, generally a better ride now compared to when I get on my trusty SLRs. Maybe it's just that I never knew any better, so yeah, "suddenly" is probably a bad description but you get the idea - I need to try a new saddle.

kramnnim
08-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Have you tried both generations of SLR saddles?

Happy to loan a second gen for you to try...

Let me know if you have any first gen SLRs you want to sell!

makoti
08-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Have you tried both generations of SLR saddles?

Happy to loan a second gen for you to try...

Let me know if you have any first gen SLRs you want to sell!

How do I know which is which?

YesNdeed
08-10-2015, 11:31 AM
The first SLR that came out felt like a really bad place to store an arrowhead during rides. Wasn't for me. Then, after testing every saddle I could find (list available on request), the Specialized Romin 143 was the best, until I got a Selle SMP Evo, which carried me through roughly 10K miles of rides. Still wasn't great, but the best I had found.

Late last year, after seeing a few different designs of the SLR 'flow' make their way onto bikes, I thought I would give it another try since my favorite saddles have cutouts. Scored a 170g max flow with Ti rails for $70 on the bay and wow! I have my saddle. I can move all over this thing, never any numbness, no pinching with any of my chamois', even after a 120 mile ride. I'm very happy with it!

All their cutouts appear to be a bit different, and I believe my max flow width to be between flow and superflow, if I have it right.

kramnnim
08-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Second gen, at the widest point of the saddle, have a part that slopes down around where the backs of your thighs are. Usually has "SLR" on that spot. Like this... SLR, in white letters

http://www.centrumrowerowe.pl/img/755/75628965.jpg

First gen doesn't have that, like this-

http://biketires.eu/eng_pl_Selle-Italia-SLR-Fibra-Saddle-black-136g-3634_1.jpg

Just has a gradual, smooth rounded curve. (where the last "a" is in the white "selle italia")

Love the first gen, second gen doesn't work for me at all.

kramnnim
08-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Comparing the pictures, the first gen's top has some curve to it, and the second gen looks almost perfectly flat. Like comparing an Arione to an Aliante...

makoti
08-10-2015, 01:23 PM
All mine are 2nd. Interesting. Anyone have feedback on that flite?

Charles M
08-10-2015, 01:38 PM
The Antares shape is not the SLR (as you know).

You might want to find a retailer and try a few profiles regardless of brand and get re-set.

Anything else is a potential waste of time and not insignificant dollars.

The Antares is a flat profile across the back and it flares out fairly dramatically. The Kit Carbonio rolls quite a bit side to side (meaning it drops off as it goes away from center) rather than staying as flat as the antares...

It may not be "wide" as much as shape.

Go try saddles at a good shop...