PDA

View Full Version : This might seem silly, but the Rapha thing...

JAllen
08-09-2015, 02:09 PM
I don't understand the love to hate and hate to love thing going on. It's described with an almost moral right and wrong.

Pardon my lack of knowing... But I don't get it.

:help:

Mzilliox
08-09-2015, 02:12 PM
i just got my first jersey, during discount week, and very glad i did. fit is small, but material is top notch. so comfy, so cool. great designs too. i like others as well, but so far, the rapha is my best.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2015, 02:43 PM
I don't understand the love to hate and hate to love thing going on. It's described with an almost moral right and wrong.

I don't either, the classic bibs I have are the best of many brands I have or have had. I love their marketing, their stories, their concept, their videos . Wish they had a concept store around here. In not in Boulder...where?

velomonkey
08-09-2015, 03:26 PM
The reason for my love to hate - hate to love:

The design is so simple - I knew there was a market for that type of clothing and I didn't think of it first. I mean, I guess I did, but I didn't do anyhting - Simon Mottram and Luke Scheybeler did - they started Rapha. Good on them.

I have 2 jerseys - one is awesome and I wear it all the time the other aint so great and I have wool arm warmers and wool knee warmers - wear them all the time. Plus a long sleeve jersey, fits nice, but could be a bit thicker.

The drama rapha uses in their writing and their photos is a bit much, but whaddd ever.

unterhausen
08-09-2015, 03:39 PM
I think it's mostly a reaction to their marketing, and to a lesser degree, their pricing. Quit staring off into the distance in an epic pose and ride your bike.

I rode a fairly difficult 1200km grand randonnee, and as it was approaching evening on the first, really difficult day, I rode into a convenience store where we had to stop. It looked like a cross between a refugee camp and a combat field hospital, people stretched out everywhere. Not an epic gaze to be found.

Louis
08-09-2015, 03:54 PM
I rode a fairly difficult 1200km grand randonnee, and as it was approaching evening on the first, really difficult day, I rode into a convenience store where we had to stop. It looked like a cross between a refugee camp and a combat field hospital, people stretched out everywhere. Not an epic gaze to be found.

Obviously you don't get it - if everyone had been wearing Rapha gear things would have been way more epic.

blessthismess
08-09-2015, 04:27 PM
In b4 the lock..

:no:

:p

Peter P.
08-09-2015, 04:29 PM
I think it's mostly a reaction to their marketing, and to a lesser degree, their pricing.

Exactly. The marketing successfully presents the impression that you can't belong to the stratospheric group of Rapha unless you can afford the clothing. They make their clothing desirable and coveted but the pricing puts it out of reach of all but the well-heeled. The working class slob that puts his heart into cycling but cannot afford the meet the "Rapha Admission Standard" feels slighted.

Marketing is a powerful tool. I liken it to the desirability of SUV's way back when. The SUV was re-imaged into a necessity where the contrast between the ruggedness of the vehicle and the suburban soccer mom or city executive driving it in town was a desired contrast. Urban chic, if you will. The pricing put it out of reach of the middle and lower classes yet they still desired to have the image the upper class portrayed. That image became attainable when those upper class suburbanites put their SUVs on the used market putting them in reach of the middle and lower classes.

Read "High and Mighty, The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way" by Keith Bradsher to shed some light on the subject.

dpk501
08-09-2015, 05:28 PM
They make good stuff. That's all that matters to me.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2015, 05:52 PM
They make good stuff. That's all that matters to me.

Yup, I don't get it, if ya don't like it, don't buy it but a waste of time to whine about their marketing or prices. BTW, my income sure isn't in any stratosphere but if I need some bike clothes, if I can, I get Rapha. Own 4 items, more to come.

jimoots
08-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Yup, I don't get it, if ya don't like it, don't buy it but a waste of time to whine about their marketing or prices. BTW, my income sure isn't in any stratosphere but if I need some bike clothes, if I can, I get Rapha. Own 4 items, more to come.

I always wonder why you see guys on bikes that cost $5-10k and they wear crap kit.

Clothing (and tyres) are the most important part of the experience. Why skimp?

cinema
08-09-2015, 06:30 PM
great bibs for the $ if you get em on sale

fogrider
08-09-2015, 06:40 PM
I always wonder why you see guys on bikes that cost $5-10k and they wear crap kit.

Clothing (and tyres) are the most important part of the experience. Why skimp?

the issue is the air of elitism that is created. While some guys are wearing crap kits, is it either ralpha and everything else is crap?

bcroslin
08-09-2015, 07:00 PM
I think it's funny how you'll read people slamming Rapha for price and elitism here on the PL and then they'll turn around and sing Assos praises. Assos sells a pair of bibs that cost $400! If that isn't elitist I don't know what is! I've worn both and prefer Rapha because I like the way it looks and that's important to me because I'm conscientious enough riding around in what amounts to brightly colored underwear. I also love the fit and finish of the Rapha performance gear. I picked up a pair of the Pro climber jersey and bibs on sale and they're amazing. Better than the Castelli inferno bibs and climbers jersey. The Rapha chamois kills every other one on the market with the exception of Assos. And here's the thing: I never pay full price. The stuff is expensive even on sale but not any more than Assos, Castelli and the high-end Garneau gear.

And just tonight I won an ebay auction for a new pair of Rapha climbers shoes for $250 shipped! Can't wait to try them out.

beeatnik
08-09-2015, 08:12 PM
A $455 Rapha Pro Team kit (jersey/shorts) is a better value (bang for the buck) and smarter buy (utility) than a $10,000 Specialized S-Works Tarmac.

bcroslin
08-09-2015, 08:18 PM
A $455 Rapha Pro Team kit (jersey/shorts) is a better value (bang for the buck) and smarter buy (utility) than a $10,000 Specialized S-Works Tarmac.

And even better at 20% off!

sandyrs
08-09-2015, 08:59 PM

so if i got my rapha pro team bibs for free (gift) and just bought a catella kit on sale... i think that makes me rich?

Louis
08-09-2015, 09:12 PM
If $455 is good value for Rapha shorts + jersey those shorts must almost pedal the bike for you, because I've worn 100% comfortable shorts + jerseys purchased for $75 + $ 25 = $100, which apparently aren't that good a value compared to the Rapha kit costing more than four times more.

beeatnik
08-09-2015, 09:47 PM
so if i got my rapha pro team bibs for free (gift) and just bought a catella kit on sale... i think that makes me rich?

I like your healthy, wealthy and wise style!

hainy
08-09-2015, 09:48 PM
If $455 is good value for Rapha shorts + jersey those shorts must almost pedal the bike for you, because I've worn 100% comfortable shorts + jerseys purchased for $75 + $ 25 = $100, which apparently aren't that good a value compared to the Rapha kit costing more than four times more.

Comfort does make you more efficient. Rapha bibs do this for me and I am well past trying to keep up with the Jonses.

beeatnik
08-09-2015, 09:54 PM

It's the old contact points axiom. If I kid came up to me with an 11 large budget asked the following:

"should I spend $10,900 on an S-Works Tarmac and $100 on kit or $1000 on a CAAD10 and 10 grand on Rapha?"

and if the point of the query were to find a type of performance/comfort/value equilibrium, I'd suggest the 10 grand on kit. A few years down the line the kid could flip the Rapha on ebay for 9 grand and buy a Baum.

dpk501
08-09-2015, 09:55 PM

It makes you comfortable!

Louis
08-09-2015, 10:01 PM
I agree, wear what makes you comfortable.

Happily for my wallet, my butt is comfortable with $75 shorts.

Yesterday I wore some Zanconato bibs. I don't remember who made them for Mike, but I doubt I paid more than $100 for them new, and if I was slow on the bike it wasn't because the chamois was uncomfortable.

choke
08-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Happily for my wallet, my butt is comfortable with $75 shorts. Same here. Once, a long time ago, I was offered a good deal on some Assos bibs so I gave them a try - they were easily the most uncomfortable I've ever owned.

JAllen
08-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Interesting stuff. I guess I'm not that familiar with the ads. If someone has an example of a particular "heinous" (I say that completely lightheartedly) ad I'd love to see it.

I also feel silly because, outside of shoes and one pair of socks, I literally own zero cycling specific clothes. I usually wear a t-shirts and athletic shorts for my rides.

I would like to start wearing kits. My good friend raves about going down to the Woodburn outlet stores to hit up a Pearl Izumi shop for clearanced items. I won't have a point of reference because I wouldn't know anything else. My biggest worry is looking like an overstuffed sausage or a tube of toothpaste...

R3awak3n
08-09-2015, 10:51 PM
bike jerseys and bibs look ridiculous, no matter who wears it but they are just so comfortable that when you try it you wont be able to go back

on the rapha thing, ehhh people love to hate on everything. Its almost like rapha is holding a gun to their head to buy their crap. The way I see it, if you dont like it dont buy it, case closed.

Rapha makes good stuff, there are other brands that make good stuff and they are all expensive. Not to say there arent quality cheaper products but in terms of design and quality there are a few brands up that do it well.

jimoots
08-09-2015, 10:51 PM
the issue is the air of elitism that is created. While some guys are wearing crap kits, is it either ralpha and everything else is crap?

Plenty of good kit outside of Rapha. S-works matched with bibs of questionable quality that appear to be falling apart is what I'm talking about.

Air of elitism was around long before Rapha. But I think half the problem with 'elitism' is it's a perception, but not often reality.

I mean, say you see a bunch wearing slick Rapha/SAS/TSH/etc kit and think that they take it too seriously or are hipster roadie rats or whatever. That thought says more about you than them.

bcroslin
08-09-2015, 10:56 PM
I mean, say you see a bunch wearing slick Rapha/SAS/TSH/etc kit and think that they take it too seriously or are hipster roadie rats or whatever. That thought says more about you than them.

And with that this thread is over. You can all go back to bashing the guy who bought a $10k bike for his wife. :)

jimoots
08-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Interesting stuff. I guess I'm not that familiar with the ads. If someone has an example of a particular "heinous" (I say that completely lightheartedly) ad I'd love to see it.

I also feel silly because, outside of shoes and one pair of socks, I literally own zero cycling specific clothes. I usually wear a t-shirts and athletic shorts for my rides.

I would like to start wearing kits. My good friend raves about going down to the Woodburn outlet stores to hit up a Pearl Izumi shop for clearanced items. I won't have a point of reference because I wouldn't know anything else. My biggest worry is looking like an overstuffed sausage or a tube of toothpaste...

Photos below are pretty much Rapha's modus operandi.

I.e. they've gone out, shot beautiful photos of dudes riding bikes and taken cues from the fashion industry.

Which apparently is offensive.

As opposed to the Assos guy and lady.

http://www.rapha.cc/medias/?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MTAwMzIzfGltYWdlL2pwZWd8a DI2L2g4OS84ODg5NTM5NDYxMTUwLmpwZ3w0ZDNhMjQ1MGQ2NjQ 2NzNhNTIzYmZmZDg2ZTgwNjVjNWVhNTFjZmYxNGQwZmMyODdlN 2Y1Nzc1NzNlZjVkNGI2

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h97/h0f/8897217003550/SPB01-Loc-SS15-02.jpg_MEDIUM

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h13/h10/8886786129950/GFJ03-SSW15-Loc-09.jpg_MEDIUM

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/ha9/he2/8812261736478/PSH02-Loc-SS14-02.jpg_MEDIUM

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h7f/hd0/8812327075870/PSH02-Loc-SS14-06.jpg_MEDIUM

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h31/he7/8805867913246/MBL01-loc14-1.jpg_MEDIUM

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h7d/h37/8801305952286/CBJ07-Loc-SS14-05.jpg_MEDIUM

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h90/h1b/8893229367326/PAJ01-SS15-Loc-08.jpg_MEDIUM

http://d7ab823tjbf2qywyt3grgq63.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/main_bg_01-620x269.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/58/0e/54/580e5474b1babd547b9bd3377a36805d.jpg

Louis
08-09-2015, 11:07 PM
As opposed to the Assos guy and lady.

[Sexist statement] Regarding the Assos gal, IMO when it comes to clothes and fashion, you can never go wrong with blatant sex appeal [/Sexist statement]

dpk501
08-09-2015, 11:18 PM
The guy in the assos ad always looks like he's trying to get into an aero skiing position. Or he kind of reminds me of the position I once took during a very painful number two over a squatting toilet in China. I am cornholio!

dpk501
08-09-2015, 11:22 PM
To the OP, usually online PI is much cheaper than the outlet at Woodburn. Performance (yikes) tends to run 10% cheaper for PI too.

What kind of riding are you doing? Short or long six plus hour rides? You can find a lot of castelli on sale too.

Rapha is good but look for anything that uses a EIT/Cytec pad. You can find much stuff on sale.

Louis
08-09-2015, 11:39 PM
Rapha is good but look for anything that uses a EIT/Cytec pad. You can find much stuff on sale.

+ 1

There are other things that matter too, but for me the chamois is at least 90% of the shorts' comfort.

If you really want to be an informed consumer the thing to do is to figure out who makes your favorite chamois (there are a lot fewer chamois manufacturers than there are shorts brands out there) and look for shorts that use that model. Many shorts manufacturers outsource the chamois.

Sort of like watches and movements - you'll find a huge range of price points for different shorts with the same chamois.

JAllen
08-10-2015, 12:23 AM
To the OP, usually online PI is much cheaper than the outlet at Woodburn. Performance (yikes) tends to run 10% cheaper for PI too.

What kind of riding are you doing? Short or long six plus hour rides? You can find a lot of castelli on sale too.

For my first outfitting I would prefer to find something for cheap and then work my way up (if need be).

Primarily I commute about 10 miles each way if I go straight to and from work (which isn't always the case). I would like start bike touring and randonneuring.

I'd like the thinnest chamois I could get away with. I've tried on a thicker one for some rides and hated it.

Wakatel_Luum
08-10-2015, 02:56 AM
I find Rapha gear expensive but I love the fit, the customer service and the fact I don't look like a billboard for a heap of sponsors I don't have...I used to wear Assos but Rapha is more subdued with style...

joosttx
08-10-2015, 03:06 AM
It's the old contact points axiom. If I kid came up to me with an 11 large budget asked the following:

"should I spend $10,900 on an S-Works Tarmac and $100 on kit or $1000 on a CAAD10 and 10 grand on Rapha?"

and if the point of the query were to find a type of performance/comfort/value equilibrium, I'd suggest the 10 grand on kit. A few years down the line the kid could flip the Rapha on ebay for 9 grand and buy a Baum.

truth...

marciero
08-10-2015, 07:07 AM
Still wearing the Rapha jersey and jacket I got from Competitive Cyclist in, like, 2006. Its all great quality stuff. Have never been disappointed. Comfort on the bike is paramount. The durability makes them a good value compared to other brands. I like PI too-sometimes I prefer shorts over bibs for touring- but I get one season out of PI shorts before the lycra starts to get tired, even when in rotation with other bibs and shorts.

Walter
08-10-2015, 07:26 AM
Where and when does one find it one sale?

Birddog
08-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Where and when does one find it one sale?
here
http://rapha.cmail1.com/t/ViewEmail/y/01BD6D25C1A34F4F/E377FC9606EB337116FB8100885F948E

JeffS
08-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Sounds like something you shouldn't be concerned about then.

bcroslin
08-10-2015, 09:15 AM
For my first outfitting I would prefer to find something for cheap and then work my way up (if need be).

Primarily I commute about 10 miles each way if I go straight to and from work (which isn't always the case). I would like start bike touring and randonneuring.

I'd like the thinnest chamois I could get away with. I've tried on a thicker one for some rides and hated it.

The one thing I've learned with cycling gear is you get what you pay for. If I were buying bibs for commuting I wouldn't skimp on price. I wouldn't drop $400 but I would look at bibs in the $125-$200 range. Rapha bibs on sale would fit in that price range. You will likely get at least 3-5 years of use out of them and Rapha even has a free repair service so if you fall and tear up the leg they will fix them for free. The light weight bib shorts come in at $200 with a 20% discount. You can also keep an eye on places like Steep and Cheap and Sierra Trading Post for Castelli and Garneau gear at a discount.

I write this with 10 years of experience of trying to buy cycling gear on the cheap. I've picked up everything from Performance cheap-o bibs to low end Castelli's that lasted less than a season. I've thrown away $1000's on crap cycling clothing trying to save money when I should have just spent the $400 I ended up spending over 2 years on a decent kit.

staggerwing
08-10-2015, 10:54 AM

Won't tell you what to buy, but I recently bought two bibs from a Portland outfit called Cento Cycling. Excellent experience. Since you are local, it looks like they have a store to visit (http://centocycling.com/visit-us).

My experience was excellent. Initially spoke with the owners wife, who was knowledgeable, but suggested I speak with the owner about fit before finalizing. Ended up buying a Sugoi, for winter use, and one of their house brand "Cento Strada" bib shorts, made by GSG. Never heard of GSG, but it is the nicest bib shorts that I've encountered for about $100. Much nicer than the Road Holland I ordered around the same time. The GSG fits like a second skin, without making me look like a sausage, while the Road Holland has a couple loose areas.

Gentleman knew his products, and was quite pleasant to deal with.

Most days, I don't feel hip enough to sport Rapha, although, by all accounts, they make a quality set of bibs. Suppose I should get over my aversion to 'lifestyle' marketing.

berserk87
08-10-2015, 12:05 PM

Form follows function in my book. Cycling-specific clothing is much more comfortable and functional than street clothes. I started out during my first year on the bike wearing shorts, basketball shoes and cotton t-shirts.

After logging more time in the saddle each month, it became apparent that shorts with a pad or chamois would help a lot...and they did.

Cycling shirts offer pockets for carrying stuff and dry really quickly, plus, with a zipper, can allow you to vent to adjust for temperatures.

Cycling shoes are more comfortable than basketball shoes, hands down - but you have to find cycling shoes that work for your feet.

Wearing cycling gear is a matter of choice. Many of the things cyclist's wear look ridiculous to the uninitiated, but every piece of kit has a function to offset the silliness factor. As a starter, I would not jump into the gear game with Rapha as my first purchase. Pearl Izumi has a wide selection of gear for most budgets and is where I started. I have changed preferences on some things over time, but still wear quite a bit of Pearl Izumi clothing.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Most days, I don't feel hip enough to sport Rapha, although, by all accounts, they make a quality set of bibs. Suppose I should get over my aversion to 'lifestyle' marketing.

Nobody would even know if you a 'sporting' Rapha or not.

PQJ
08-10-2015, 12:37 PM
[Sexist statement] Regarding the Assos gal, IMO when it comes to clothes and fashion, you can never go wrong with blatant sex appeal [/Sexist statement]

Right? I have a whole closet chock full of women's cycling apparel made by Assos and no idea how it got there!

redir
08-10-2015, 12:38 PM
I have never owned Rapha or Assos before so I can't really make comments about them. I only wear what my team gets and the last several years it's been Hincappie which isn't really bad at all.

One thing I do know however is that in general many times when you pay more for something it's actually cheaper. Like for example the leather Italian boots I bought around 1997 for about $400 that I STILL have and wear regularly during the winter. Quality VS quantity of consumerism to a point.

And I think that's what gets the Rapha hate is that they sort of breached that point with their 'epic' marketing campaign. So their stuff may be of high quality but a lot of your cost goes into marketing and marketing always makes me feel like they think I'm a sucker.

Besides Rapha sponsors a pro team so they are ok in my book ;)

ceolwulf
08-10-2015, 01:06 PM
I think it's mostly a reaction to their marketing, and to a lesser degree, their pricing. Quit staring off into the distance in an epic pose and ride your bike.

My beard makes every pose I take epic. Nothing I can do about it really.

(Oh wait I shaved for the summer, never mind then)

fuzzalow
08-10-2015, 02:04 PM

You have stumbled onto the reason why these ridiculous Rapha threads endlessly persist to no conclusion. It is not because that there IS a right or wrong but because that there ISN'T, and can never be, a right or wrong.

There is no right or wrong. There is no conclusion to be had. Rapha, to be or not to be, is the selfie-stick of opinion where the opinionator gets to say something and be right about something. Indisputably and incontrovertibly correct. No rhyme or reason or given to words as to why. The narcissism of being an expert or "queen for a day", if you like - requiring neither the brains or the beauty in being either. The customer is king and it is good to be king!

There's nothing to understand about Rapha. To talk about Rapha sounds like talking about clothes but it's really just stroking for the effect.

professerr
08-10-2015, 03:10 PM

The pad on Castellis is thinner than most, and the cheaper "KISS3" padd is among the thinnest of all. I've had mixed luck with Castelli's. Years ago I bought several low-end pairs on sale for $30 or something and they are still the ones I reach for on many rides. Several subsequent mid tier pairs had quality control issues (which supposedly have since been fixed).

I disagree with the comment above that you get what you pay for with bibs -- perceptions of quality vary greatly for this sort of product. I have a pair of Raphas and two remaining pairs of Assos, all of which are the very last I go for in terms of comfort. Neither brand has held up well either, especially the Rapha's which I've sent back twice to repair popped stitching and frayed elastic.

The Specialized "SL" designated shorts also have a thin-ish pad, but it is thicker than the KISS3 pad. I like these a lot.

jlwdm
08-10-2015, 03:47 PM
I have 7 pair of Assos (not the most expensive) and I pair of Rapha, and they have all lasted for years with no wear. And I just throw them in the washing machine unprotected. To me they have been great value.

Personally, I try to buy things that are better and that I will enjoy for a long time. What I hate is when I buy something that I do not like for long or is not as well made - these items are a waste of money. Within limits I am a believer that you do get what you pay for as long as you are buying something you personally really like or enjoy.

Jeff

spiderwj
08-10-2015, 08:17 PM
Rapha....mixed emotions. Love their videos and would consider purchasing if the would make another Rapha continental (hint, hint).

I like the simple designs. I own a jacket and it has a great fit.

I'm not sure how I feel about there retro or contemporary jerseys but the plain colored lightweight jerseys are awesome. If I can get faster, I will buy a jersey. I refuse to buy Rapha while I am slow and out of shape (not only because it won't fit my shiner bock belly but because I don't want to be that guy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rccardr
08-10-2015, 09:03 PM
So, first ever visit to a Rapha store today, Mrs. Doc and I are in NYC celebrating her retirement & there's a store just dosn the block from the new Whitney Museum. Very low key vibe, sales help very knowledgeable about the product, not much on the shelf but what was out was obviously super high quality.

Mrs. D immediately figured it all out, encouraged me to get beyond my initial skepticism and try a few things on.She's more fashion oriented than me.

In the end, didn't purchase anything but can see why folks would buy into the product.

JAllen
08-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. It seems like there is a big market for resale of cycling clothes. I had no idea, but it is nice to know that if I do lose weight (30lbs God willing) I can sell off what doesn't fit.

ceolwulf
08-10-2015, 10:13 PM
If I can get faster, I will buy a jersey. I refuse to buy Rapha while I am slow and out of shape (not only because it won't fit my shiner bock belly but because I don't want to be that guy).

Concur. If I can get down to my goal of 175 this year, currently at 190, I am buying a Wiggins jersey.

fuzzalow
08-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. It seems like there is a big market for resale of cycling clothes. I had no idea, but it is nice to know that if I do lose weight (30lbs God willing) I can sell off what doesn't fit.

Two things:
Don't listen to the naysayers and whingers about Rapha. If the clothes interest you then buy it and try it - it is the only way to know for sure and for yourself. It's only clothing.
You didn't say anything about this as part of a weight-loss program. If so, wait, lose weight and buy the new bike clothes when you have accomplished your goal in weight loss - keeps you motivated and as a well earned reward when you've made it.

Good luck.

dpk501
08-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Did you know about Rapha's jersey downsize policy?

rwsaunders
08-10-2015, 11:41 PM
I've gravitated toward the more subdued look over the years, that is if you can call wearing Lycra and a helmet while riding a bike subdued. Some of the Rapha kit that I own such as the Pro Team jacket, classic jersey and classic bibs are wonderful performers and they are ridden year round.

I didn't care for the Brevet vest though and it moved on and I've also had Assos kit that I loved such as the 851 jacket and a pair of their bib knickers that I couldn't stand. Nobody is perfect.

Perhaps try some used kit and see if you like it, regardless of the brand. Too bad you didn't buy Ari's Rapha bundle. Rumor has it that it was traded for a small, Greek island. :cool:

Louis
08-11-2015, 12:28 AM
it is nice to know that if I do lose weight (30lbs God willing)

Not to start a religious war on this, but I think your will is more important on this than any God's.

blessthismess
08-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Did you know about Rapha's jersey downsize policy?

Good point, although I agree with Fuzz on motivating yourself by working towards a goal. Get the reward after the work, feels so much better. Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

ajhapps
08-11-2015, 02:39 AM
I bought a Rapha Classic Jersey a few months ago, and here's why I like the brand (this was my first purchase). I bought the jersey with a 20% discount code I'd gotten for filling out a survey. The very next day, Rapha ran a promotion, where Classic Jerseys came with free arm warmers. I sent a note to Rapha customer service asking if I could return the jersey and re-order it to get the arm warmers (and gladly give up the discount).

Got an answer quickly - "don't worry, we'll just send you some arm warmers."

That's pretty darn good customer service!

JAllen
08-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Looks like I'll be sticking with my Lycra moo moos for a while. ;)

bcroslin
08-11-2015, 08:56 AM
I bought a Rapha Classic Jersey a few months ago, and here's why I like the brand (this was my first purchase). I bought the jersey with a 20% discount code I'd gotten for filling out a survey. The very next day, Rapha ran a promotion, where Classic Jerseys came with free arm warmers. I sent a note to Rapha customer service asking if I could return the jersey and re-order it to get the arm warmers (and gladly give up the discount).

Got an answer quickly - "don't worry, we'll just send you some arm warmers."

That's pretty darn good customer service!

Agree about their customer service. I also got a free set of arm warmers after the fact. I also just ordered a trade team jersey that was on sale for $90 and yesterday I noticed they dropped the price to $75. I sent an email and they sent a credit for $15.

Elefantino
08-11-2015, 09:10 AM
I don't think Rapha prices are out of line with other top equipment. And it makes nice stuff that has great resale. Bought a Galibier jersey via employee discount (son had friend who worked at store, er, cycle club), realized it wasn't for me and sold it on the Bay for twice the price.

I think many people dislike Rapha because their bike models didn't wear helmets but that is changing now.

FlashUNC
08-11-2015, 09:15 AM
I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for them because of their customer service. After my crash a couple years back, I called the US guys in Portland to see about getting a set of bib knickers that were wrecked by both pavement and paramedics either repaired or replaced. (Ideally, repaired.)

They were pretty adamant that while the road rash was fixable, the cut straps wouldn't be to the standard they'd be happy with sending back to me.

Instead, sold me a new pair as just a hair above cost and threw a can of the chamois cream in the box for when I got back out there. Spent more time talking about my crash and recovery time than anything.

They totally went above and beyond, so get a lot of kudos from me for that.

Say what you want about the marketing -- much of it deserved -- but I've never had a bad customer service interaction with them, either at the store or via phone/email/whatever.

AJosiahK
08-11-2015, 09:19 AM
It also seems like over time they have lowered their prices a bit.

like alot

classic jerseys used to run 220, but came with arm warmers.

Its tought to see for alot of parties, but I think many retailers like RSC or Cascade etc did alot for building their brand name.

I dont think they would have gotten this far, this fast if they had not opened up to retailers. I would never buy a pair of 230$ bibs if Ive never seen or touched them in person no matter the glowing online reviews

Now that this part of the process is past, it makes sense for them to move on.

Lots of great peices produced by them for sure.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2015, 10:35 AM
I don't think Rapha prices are out of line with other top equipment. And it makes nice stuff that has great resale. Bought a Galibier jersey via employee discount (son had friend who worked at store, er, cycle club), realized it wasn't for me and sold it on the Bay for twice the price.

I think many people dislike Rapha because their bike models didn't wear helmets but that is changing now.

"Bike models" not wearing a helmet and somebody doesn't buy for that reason? Are people really that naive or shallow?Yes....they....are.....:butt:

joelmalm
08-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Their pricing may seem to be a bit hefty at first, but I would say it pretty on par with similar quality bike clothing.
The products (at least the ones I have) are top notch when I comes to both overall longevity and the attention to detail! Man, they're great.
And like a lot of people have mentioned before, their customer service is outstanding.

fiamme red
08-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Anyone here bought a pair of Rapha headphones or sunglasses yet?

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/rapha-b%26o-h6-headphones/product/RBO02

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/he6/he4/8905910452254/RBO02-Loc-SS15-03.jpg_MEDIUM

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/rapha-classic-glasses/product/SUN01

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h38/h43/8895949996062/PCK01-SS15-Loc-02.jpg_MEDIUM

Wakatel_Luum
08-14-2015, 08:21 AM
I was looking at the online shop at Demarchi clothing...175 Euro for top end jersey makes Rapha seem very reasonable!