PDA

View Full Version : deerfield ride

stevep
05-07-2006, 07:13 PM
hey, just got back from doing the short (65 mile) version of the deerfield ride.
it cannot be described. is is continuous short pretty steep climbs... mostly dirt road...passes through a hundred apple orchards that were all in bloom...ah, the smells... beautiful cool day views of western mass and vermont...it turns around in vermont.
there is a section near the end that runs along a flowing river ( read- gradual downhill...)
i know that there is a planned ride in the late summer. make this ride if you possible can you will love it.

this ride is ultra recommended. nothing else like it. terrific route plan.

i used a cross bike with semi knobby 28c tires. was just right.
i used a 34-26 ... was also ok... but i had to stand a few climbs a few times... but it was ok unless you really like to spin up hills...some are pretty steep and pretty long... the intro climb was probably the worst ... pretty long and fairly rough. went with a pretty mixed group in no hurry. took us about 6 hours total.

make it if you can.

Peter P.
05-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Ha! I told you it would be a blast!

How were the roads-dry? Traffic? How much/what did you eat/drink? What size group did you ride with?

See you in August!

inGobwetrust
05-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Now I really can't wait!

stevep
05-08-2006, 05:29 AM
it was very dry. no mud anywhere. blessed weather for this ride... farms, hilltop views, cattle, tiny vermont hamlet ( green river ). a lot of hardpack graded dirt road.
new england riding at its best.
there was no traffic. the rt crossed rt 2 a couple of places...this is a busy highway. the rest... virtually no cars i would say.
there were 7 of us.
i ate clif bars and hammer gel mostly. i would probably bring more next time.
there is a store/food option in colrain ( go left on rt 112 3/4 mile to store ) then return to route. this is about 23 miles in and by that time i realized i had brought enough food for 4 1/2 hrs but not enough for 6 so i stocked up w/ some more food and water.
a ride to remember.

Elmer
05-22-2006, 09:23 AM
..........on Rt 2 the second time you ride on it. Pete, Bob, Dave, my wife Josina and I did the 100k route Saturday with no problems. We were concerned with the dirt roads being muddy but were pleasantly surprised that they were mostly hard packed giving excellent traction. We are salivating for the 107 miler in August.