PDA

View Full Version : Speedvagen CX bike / 6800 hub rubbing?

ik2280
08-09-2015, 08:14 AM
So, I rode my cross bike on a team ride on Saturday and noticed some minor rubbing. Thought it was likely one of the pads rubbing lightly against the rim, but when I took a closer look post-ride, I noticed that it wasn't the pads - it was the dust cover of the front hub rubbing against the fork leg / dropout (on both sides). It's a 2009 Speedvagen (with an Alpha Q fork), and the wheels are 6800 hubs with Archetype rims, 32h (built for me by Old Potatoe, they're excellent thus far). I tried some Reynolds wheels (DV46 tubs), and they didn't rub.

I'm going to call SV and see what they think, but I was curious what the consensus would be here. I love the bike, and got these wheels hand-built for it (I also mostly use wheels with 6800 hubs), so I'm not exactly sure what the best move is?

thwart
08-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Need a pic or two of the problem area.

The Reynolds 46 uses DT rebranded hubs, I think...

oldpotatoe
08-09-2015, 09:05 AM
So, I rode my cross bike on a team ride on Saturday and noticed some minor rubbing. Thought it was likely one of the pads rubbing lightly against the rim, but when I took a closer look post-ride, I noticed that it wasn't the pads - it was the dust cover of the front hub rubbing against the fork leg / dropout (on both sides). It's a 2009 Speedvagen (with an Alpha Q fork), and the wheels are 6800 hubs with Archetype rims, 32h (built for me by Old Potatoe, they're excellent thus far). I tried some Reynolds wheels (DV46 tubs), and they didn't rub.

I'm going to call SV and see what they think, but I was curious what the consensus would be here. I love the bike, and got these wheels hand-built for it (I also mostly use wheels with 6800 hubs), so I'm not exactly sure what the best move is?

Not uncommon with that fork on these or some other hubs. Not sure you can safely remove that part of the fork end that's rubbing...

ik2280
08-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Here are some pics of the problem area. Is it as simple as just removing the dust caps? Will that be bad for the hubs (especially given that this is a CX bike and sees a lot of dirt / mud / grime?)?

oldpotatoe
08-09-2015, 09:54 AM
Here are some pics of the problem area. Is it as simple as just removing the dust caps? Will that be bad for the hubs (especially given that this is a CX bike and sees a lot of dirt / mud / grime?)?

That would do it but yes, more crud inside. You 'could' relieve a bit of material right there at the flat spot where the dust cap hits the fork. Not sure about resulting integrity tho. That fork was kinda funky, saw the same thing on some Campagnolo hubs.

ik2280
08-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the advice, Peter. On one hand, just removing the dust caps would be easier (and far cheaper) than buying a new fork (an ENVE, maybe), but on the other hand, I don't want to mess up with wheels with gunk?

AngryScientist
08-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Take the square edge of those dust caps to the bench grinder and knock them down. That'll do it.

thwart
08-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Take the square edge of those dust caps to the bench grinder and knock them down. That'll do it.
That's what I'd do... but by hand since no bench grinder... ;) Hopefully they're relatively thick in cross section so there's some material to work with.

Much less risky than doing anything whatsoever to the fork, I'd think.

Peter P.
08-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Call it bad fork design. I'd try to remove the dustcap and somehow chuck it up in a drill or Dremel tool and then hit it with a file or some sand paper. It may take the help of a friend to operate the drill while you hold the abrasive.

Mike V
08-09-2015, 05:05 PM
You could use some axle spacers to spread the fork apart a little to make room for the hub.

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/axle-spacers.html

oldpotatoe
08-10-2015, 06:45 AM
You could use some axle spacers to spread the fork apart a little to make room for the hub.

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/axle-spacers.html

If ya look at the innards of this hub, it doesn't use a conventional threaded 9by1 axle, with threaded on cones and locknuts but rather a once piece axle with screw in axle ends. I don't think one even comes out of the axle. Permanent piece, axle, axle end, cone.

EV-HB-6800-3606.pdf